Started eating but can't eat anything now

Options
babesdad
babesdad Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I had my radiation and chemo end in Jan 08 and have been going through gradual healing. I was able to start eating a few things in late March, eventually only using my PEG tube at night. But, in the last two weeks, have eaten nothing with painful bloating, nausea and sometimes heartburn after eating the least little bit.

Comments

• BugHunter
    BugHunter Member Posts: 152
    Options
    It can take a while for the body to re-adjust to solid foods again. I am 15 months past treatment and still have a hard time with spicy foods whereas before tx I could sit down with a jar of jalapenos and eat most of them without a problem. But as they say, time heals all things.
  • wboaz
    wboaz Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Someone else had a problem with PEG tube and upset stomach (Dr. Swill)

See his post abuot it here...
    http://beyondtheglassdoor.blogspot.com/2007/09/and-now-back-to-our-regularly-scheduled.html

Sounds similar talk to your Dr.
  • BugHunter
    BugHunter Member Posts: 152
    Options
    What kinds of things are you trying to eat? I know I had to start out with the most bland,moist foods myself.

BILL
  • babesdad
    babesdad Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I read the Dr. Swill message, but that is not the problem because I have the tube taped down so it can't go anywhere. And, in response to BugHunter, I've tried only bland things so far. The thing that really gets me is being able to eat a few things, then no longer being able.
  • rick08
    rick08 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    babesdad said:

I read the Dr. Swill message, but that is not the problem because I have the tube taped down so it can't go anywhere. And, in response to BugHunter, I've tried only bland things so far. The thing that really gets me is being able to eat a few things, then no longer being able.

Don't worry it took me awhile to be able to eat very much but its been over a year now and i can eat spicier foods than i did before. I also got all my saliva back which i thought would not come back. Change your eating habits to the healthiest you can and it will help you tremendously. I have learned so much since and still learning everyday. The doctors don't seem to want to touch on that subject and my Doctor actually told me it probably would not help but i know for sure it does. I did have a feeding tube put in and im glad i did cause you will get to a point where you cant eat or swallow anything. I carried a cup everywhere i went to spit in and throw up in. I now take a drink with lots of cell rebuilding and antioxidants, i will share it with you if you want it. I also eat lots of veggies, whole grain breads, drink at least 2 to 4oz of wheat grass everyday, no milk only soy milk (which i love now) and i feel better than i did before cancer. I try not to eat any sugar and use Agave and Honey for sweeteners. I drink around 4 or 5 cup of Green Tea and get more exercise too. I do research on nutrition almost everyday. I know what i put into my body is something i can control. You have to take charge of that yourself cause no one else can make you eat what you don't want to. Please let me know if you have other questions cause i could go on all night about what i really went through. I wont sugar coat it either if you really want to know everything. hang in there and be strong because you can beat this!
  • briana630
    briana630 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    babesdad said:

Started eating but can't eat anything now
    I know its been a while since you posted this comments. But my Dad is currently going through the same thing you had. He started eating puree foods and now he can't eat anything and every single little bit, makes him feel so bloated and full. Where you able to find something, anything that helped you? I don't know how to help him!
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    rick08 said:

Don't worry it took me awhile to be able to eat very much but its been over a year now and i can eat spicier foods than i did before. I also got all my saliva back which i thought would not come back. Change your eating habits to the healthiest you can and it will help you tremendously. I have learned so much since and still learning everyday. The doctors don't seem to want to touch on that subject and my Doctor actually told me it probably would not help but i know for sure it does. I did have a feeding tube put in and im glad i did cause you will get to a point where you cant eat or swallow anything. I carried a cup everywhere i went to spit in and throw up in. I now take a drink with lots of cell rebuilding and antioxidants, i will share it with you if you want it. I also eat lots of veggies, whole grain breads, drink at least 2 to 4oz of wheat grass everyday, no milk only soy milk (which i love now) and i feel better than i did before cancer. I try not to eat any sugar and use Agave and Honey for sweeteners. I drink around 4 or 5 cup of Green Tea and get more exercise too. I do research on nutrition almost everyday. I know what i put into my body is something i can control. You have to take charge of that yourself cause no one else can make you eat what you don't want to. Please let me know if you have other questions cause i could go on all night about what i really went through. I wont sugar coat it either if you really want to know everything. hang in there and be strong because you can beat this!

Trying to eat more
    Hi
    I finished treatment in April, now July4th and I can't eat much of anything. I have a peg thank goodness, but i want to eat more on my own.....I eat bananas, oatmeal, pudding, etc, but can't eat anything of substance that is solid. My mouth is very dry and I don't have enough saliva to push the food down. How long was it from your last treatment, rad/chemo, before you could eat anything you wanted. I'm hoping soon...
    Thanks
    Steve
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    BugHunter said:

What kinds of things are you trying to eat? I know I had to start out with the most bland,moist foods myself.

BILL

How long before you could eat?
    Hi Bill
    I finished rad/chemo in April and am just now starting to eat liquid type foods.....I want to eat more but dry mouth has me unable. About how long was it before you got enough saliva to swallow and start to eat semi-normal foods, not pudding, yogurt, shakes, etc..
    I have a peg and am trying to get off of it, but cannot eat enough calories to hold my weight if I do......Just fishing for a time frame...
    thanks
    Steve
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Trying to eat more
    Hi
    I finished treatment in April, now July4th and I can't eat much of anything. I have a peg thank goodness, but i want to eat more on my own.....I eat bananas, oatmeal, pudding, etc, but can't eat anything of substance that is solid. My mouth is very dry and I don't have enough saliva to push the food down. How long was it from your last treatment, rad/chemo, before you could eat anything you wanted. I'm hoping soon...
    Thanks
    Steve

Hawke and Babsdad
    Steve, It will take a while yet but you will slowly find more foods that are fine to eat. Usually you will find salads and vegetables and fruit all good for taste and texture and they are really what you should be eating anyway so get stuck into them. You can douse your salads with good quality virgin olive oil. You will need water or soup to help you eat for a long while and maybe always depending on if and when you salivary glands recover. Just keep track of what is good and focus on them and try new foods and then increase your variety as you go.

Babsdad, if you are still checking, trapped gas can cause your problem. You may want to try to aspirate your PEG. if that doesn't work, you need to see your Doctor about your condition.

Scam