It's back...on 2nd round of treatment

Options
mrsgrandlake
mrsgrandlake Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Dx'd with Stage IV with mets to liver and lungs, Did 12 treatments of oxaliplatin,leucovorin, avastin, and 5FU pump. Had 16 tumors that were eradicated last Oct 07. CT in March showed 3 new lesions, 2 in one lung, and 1 in the other. Now on Campostar(sp?) and Xeloda, hair is falling out rapidly, and I tell you it is NOT a pretty sight!!haha My onc has said all along that my only option is chemo, too many lesions and microscopic cancer cells in body to try anything else. My problem now is my neutrophils are just not replenishing well enough for me to do treatment. Have only had 1 treatment in a month so far. Do all the chemo drugs attack the white blood cells? If my only option is chemo and my body just can't take it anymore, where does that leave me? Hubby and I are talking about selling house, getting RV and seeing the USA if and when we are out of options. Just wondered if anyone else is in this same situation?

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Aw, dearheart. I am sending big hugs. I was only stage 3, so I am of no help. Both sets of chemo/rads (I had breast cancer after the colon...a 2-fer, if you will..lol) messed with my white counts.
    I wish I could help make it better....the best I can do is hugs and good vibes...

Hugs, Kathi
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am not in your situation and don't know what to say. Have you asked your oncologist flat out - what is the prognosis? I will send all my prayers and good thoughts your way. Whatever happens, I wish you the best. Wish I had something more intelligent to say.
    Pam
  • KFalvey
    KFalvey Member Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why can't your oncologist give you Neupogen shots to boost your white count? I was given up to 4 shot between each treatment to keep mine up. What about surgery?
    My hubby bought a RV the summer after I was diagnosed, 2/05, because I'd alway wanted to take a trip up the west coast from San Francisco north and see the Canadian Rockies. The trip was delayed for 2 summers because I was taking Chemo and couldn't leave. Finally last summer I had another recurrance, tumors in both lungs like you, had VATS surgery on one in July; 2 weeks after my Dr. told me they'd have to wait 2 months to remove the other 2 in the right side, so we took off in the RV and went on that trip. We had a great time and I'm not sure I could do it as easily now because the second lung surgery (Oct.) was much harder and I don't think I'd of been able to do the elevations and hiking now. I also had a tumor on the outside of the sigmoid-rectum area and had surgery in Dec. for that. Thank the Lord I'm clear now. Don't give up or sell the house. Do get out and see the USA when you have a chance, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! God Bless. Kandy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I don't have any great medical advice for you, except that it seems to be a good idea to try to make yourself as strong as you can through diet, exercise and rest, so your body is able to fight. Do NOT give up, but do treat yourself to as many of those trips as you can and do things that make you happy. *hugs* We're praying for you.
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    mrsgrandlake....don't give up! My boss was stage IV colon cancer, and did the medical trial for xeloda because she couldn't tolerate the other chemo's. She swears xeloda saved her life! I would talk with your onc about taking JUST the xeloda and see if you can tolerate that?

I agree with everyone else on here...ENJOY YOURSELF!!! Not for the sake of giving up, but for the sake of living!

Best wishes to you!
    Many hugs,
    Krista
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to any of the "major" cancer hospitals/centers like, MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, Sloan Kettering, etc?

Have you spoken with your Onc Doc in regards to clinic trails, etc?

I know there are many options, like Sir Spheres, RAF or RFA, but don't remember them all.

I will send prayers your way......Amen
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you and sending you prayers and hugs. A second or third opinion sometimes gives us more options. You might want to consider a new set of eyes reviewing your case.

Keep on fighting!

Hugs,

Kay
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry to hear about your situation, but I am right there with you. I did 16 of the 5FU pump with the Oxaliplatin and all and then had to go on Folfiri which is Folfax (sp) and Campostar. Did 7 of those. Just now got the news that the tumors are bigger and extensive. So, now will start a regimen of Erbitux, Irrinotecan and Avastin. It is scary. If that doesn't work Xeloda is my last option. I am with Moffitt Cancer Center and it is a major one. I figure at least my hair will grow back :) Hope I don't get the "rash"...or it won't be bad. My attitude is that if I am still alive, I will be happy and do what I can.
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I would suggest speaking to your onc about Neupogen and perhaps lowering your dose. I do weekly Irinotecan (Camptosar) and Erbitux and find that my blood counts steadily go down and by the fourth week they are usually at 1.1. As for the RV, go out and have yourself a ball. It's not just an issue about cancer, I have two funerals to go to where a 53 year old and a 20 year old died in a car accident and industrial accident respectively. Live for the day, tomorrow has yet to arrive. Monica
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am stage 3 but during my 6 months of chemo I did have problems too with my white blood counts, I was given a shot called Neulasta that helped me,I hope that they come with something for you that will allow to continue your treatment but have faith and picture yourself doing that trip,because you are celebrating that you are cancer free. Lots of hugs to you
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your going through this again Please be sure to get another opinion if you haven't done so . It certainly can't hurt and may save your life. Having said that , xeloda and avastin worked very very well for my hubby on liver mets and hopefully it will do the same for you with the lung mets. Only you can make the decision about selling the house, etc. but I think if it's something you really want to do , find a way to do it....no matter what the prognosis. Also , I'm not a big believer in stats to begin with . So if it's something you really want to do, do it just because you want to do it. Keeping you in my prayers. God Bless
    Diane

ps my husbands onc also said chemo was the only option. She was wrong. Thankfully. Keep the faith.