Linda's quiet progress

lindachris
lindachris Member Posts: 173
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
We're done with cycle two of Round Two on Cisplatin and Gemzar. Side effects: Some mild hair thinning. Nausea is manageable. Appetite comes and goes. But we struggled mightily two weeks ago with anxiety and depression. Pulled her through that with help of psychologist and psychiatrist. I had no idea what could happen. Tricky business, the mental side of this, for both of us.

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    I know this is difficult for the both of you, but again you sound like an angel to me. You wife is blessed to have you at her side through all of this. I hope that someday she'll decide to visit here personally. Maybe we can all offer some suggestions to get her through the rough moments as far as side affects. I'm glad that she has good physicians that are staying on top of the anxiety.
    Thank you so much for keeping us informed.
    God bless you both.
    Hugs, prayers,
    Monika
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Chris - I am so glad to see that you've given us an update on how you guys are doing. I've been wondering how things were going. Please give Linda my best and know that you are in my thoughts & prayers.

My girlfriends tell me that it will take a village to get me through this journey called ovarian cancer and I've found that to be true. We are part of your village - please continue to let us know how Linda is doing. Take good care.

Kris
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    I ditto the other two answers. Don't know what I would do without this discussion board. I don't have a group to attend locally and visiting with the oncologist just doesn't do it...too rushed and not all the answers I get here for dealing with side effects. I hope Linda will join us soon. Saundra
  • paula2
    paula2 Member Posts: 162
    If you have steroids along with the chemo, like dexamethasone, this can cause some crashing when it wears off. I go down hard and then remember that high dose of dex had me way up for a couple days.
    Good luck to you both and bless you for being such an attentive caregiver!
  • 4umag
    4umag Member Posts: 2
    I too am struggling with the anxiety and depression of all of this. I have finished my 3rd cycle of Carboplatin/Taxol and am still struggling with severe depression and anxiety. Am seeing a therapist, but the doctors have been unable to find an anti-depressant that doesn't make me nauseated with the chemo drugs. If I may ask is Linda on any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medicine that seems to work for her with no nausea? I have been prescribed 5 different medications and so far haven't been able to find one that doesn't create nausea. I agree about the mental side of this, it's very painful and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Thank goodness I have a very understanding and supportive husband who is desperately trying to help me through this. I'm open to help from anyone else who may read this message, thanks.
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    4umag said:

I too am struggling with the anxiety and depression of all of this. I have finished my 3rd cycle of Carboplatin/Taxol and am still struggling with severe depression and anxiety. Am seeing a therapist, but the doctors have been unable to find an anti-depressant that doesn't make me nauseated with the chemo drugs. If I may ask is Linda on any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medicine that seems to work for her with no nausea? I have been prescribed 5 different medications and so far haven't been able to find one that doesn't create nausea. I agree about the mental side of this, it's very painful and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Thank goodness I have a very understanding and supportive husband who is desperately trying to help me through this. I'm open to help from anyone else who may read this message, thanks.

I take Ativan/Lorezapam for the anti-axiety part of this. It works within 45 minutes, is not addictive and you can take it every 6 hours. I am doing IV/IP taxotere and cisplatin and have been exremely shaky after these treatments - so this time around my doctor is having me take the anxiety stuff on a schedule so it'll help with the shakey feeling which is apparently caused by the steroids I take before and after chemo. Hope this helps. Hang in there! Kris