AND...Your Fitness Tip o' the day

Options
tkd3g
tkd3g Member Posts: 767
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Make Your Body Burn More Calories
by: FitnessandFreebies.com

Metabolic Rate is the rate at which the body burns up calories. A body that consumes 2500 calories a day, and burns 2500 calories a day will stay at that weight. A body consuming 2500 calories daily but burning only 2000 will gain weight at the rate of about 1lb a week. You can do quite a lot to speed up your metabolism - the secret of burning calories lies in knowing what determines your metabolic rate and what you can do to influence it.

You burn calories to provide energy for three main factors:

1) Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
This is the amound of calories you burn just by being alive - even when you are lying down, doing nothing. BMR accounts for approximately 60% of the calories burned for an average person.

2) Burning Calories for Activity
This is the energy used during movement - from lifting your arm to operate the remote control to cleaning the windows. This accounts for approximately 30% of the calories burned by an average person.

3) Dietary Thermogenesis
The 'thermogenic effect' described as meal-induced heat production - the calories burned in the process of eating, digesting, absorbing and using food.

You can influence all these factors, and speek up your rate of burning calories using some, or all, of the following tactics:

1) Build Muscle
Increase the amount of muscle in your body. For every extra pound of muscle you put on, your body uses around 50 extra calories a day. In a recent study, researchers found that regular weight training boosts basal metabolic rate by about 15%. This is because muscle is 'metabolically active' and burns more calories than other body tissue even when you're not moving. Training with weights just 3 times a week for around 20 minutes is enough to build muscle. Not only will you be burning more calories, you'll look better - whatever your weight.

2) Move More
Although the average person burns around 30% of calories through daily activity, many sedentary people only use around 15%. Simply being aware of this fact - and taking every opportunity to move can make quite and dramatic difference to the amount of calories you burn. The trick is to keep the 'keep moving' message in mind. Write the word 'move' on post-it notes and put them in places you'll notice them when you're sitting still. Here are some ideas for burning calories:

Tap your feet
Swing your legs
Drum your fingers
Stand up and stretch
Move your head from side to side
Change position
Wriggle and fidget
Pace up and down
Don't use the internal phone - go in person
Use the upstairs (or downstairs) bathroom
Park in the furthest corner of the parking lot
Stand up when you're on the phone
Clench and release your muscles

You'll find lots of opportunities for burning more calories if you remember that you're looking for them! Keep thinking 'keep moving'.

3) Eat Spicy Food
There is evidence to show that spices, especially chilli, can raise the metabolic rate by up to 50% for up to 3 hours after you've eaten a spicy meal. Drinks containing caffeine also stimulate the metabolism, as does green tea.

4) Aerobic Exercise
As well as the actual amount of calories burned during exercise - studies have shown that sustained, high-intensity exercises makes you burn more calories for several hours afterward.

5) Eat Little and Often
There is some evidence to suggest that eating small, regular meals will keep your metabolism going faster than larger, less frequent meals. There are two reasons why meal frequency may affect your metabolism. Firstly, levels of thyroid hormones begin to drop within hours of eating a meal, and metabolism slows. Secondly, it may be that the thermogenic effect of eating several small meals is slightly higher than eating the same amount of calories all at once. Provided your small meals don't degenerate into quick-fix, high fat, high sugar snacks, eating little and often can also help to control hunger and make you less likely to binge.

Barb ( who worked out so hard last night, she got an exertion (sp?) headache. UGH. I can't help myself. I love martial arts. )

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    My work out for today:
    8-9: Drink coffee
    9-10: Wriggle (I fidget two days a week)
    10-11: Drum fingers
    11-12: Eat chili or something else spicy
    12-1: Move head from side to side
    1-2: Pace
    2-3: Tap feet
    3-4: Clench fists
    5-4: Change positions

Gosh... Talk about a full day of working out!! I'm going to worn out (it's that moving the head from side to side that really wears a body out)!

;-)

- SB (as in "Sarcastic ****")
  • tkd3g
    Options
    spongebob said:

My work out for today:
    8-9: Drink coffee
    9-10: Wriggle (I fidget two days a week)
    10-11: Drum fingers
    11-12: Eat chili or something else spicy
    12-1: Move head from side to side
    1-2: Pace
    2-3: Tap feet
    3-4: Clench fists
    5-4: Change positions

Gosh... Talk about a full day of working out!! I'm going to worn out (it's that moving the head from side to side that really wears a body out)!

;-)

- SB (as in "Sarcastic ****")

Ha Ha

I just delivered, I didn't write.

Barb ( who's going swimming this afternoon. Hummm...thong or bikini?)
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    tkd3g said:

Ha Ha

I just delivered, I didn't write.

Barb ( who's going swimming this afternoon. Hummm...thong or bikini?)

Oh here we go again!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

SB as in Stuffed Bratwurst don't over exert your self today. You surely wouldn't want to pull a muscle or anything......heehee

peace, emily who will be wearing spandex while riding with her Chicks On Bikes club this evening
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Barb,
    I read that thing about fidgeters too!!!! I have to work out. I guess I am not much in the fidgeting department. I work out 3-4 times a week. I lift weights for an hour and a half or more and do about 20-25 minutes of cardio. I also do a butload (that's a lot) of crunches every day. You would think (well, I did anyway) that I would be looking fantastic!!! BUT NO I look good but it takes a TON of work to look fantastic. It also requires the ability to say "No thank you" when the cannoli cart rolls around. I am not there yet ! Haha.
    Honestly, working out has had a major impact on my mental health. I joke and say it is like prozac, but it really does help. I highly reccoment it to anyone.
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    taunya said:

Barb,
    I read that thing about fidgeters too!!!! I have to work out. I guess I am not much in the fidgeting department. I work out 3-4 times a week. I lift weights for an hour and a half or more and do about 20-25 minutes of cardio. I also do a butload (that's a lot) of crunches every day. You would think (well, I did anyway) that I would be looking fantastic!!! BUT NO I look good but it takes a TON of work to look fantastic. It also requires the ability to say "No thank you" when the cannoli cart rolls around. I am not there yet ! Haha.
    Honestly, working out has had a major impact on my mental health. I joke and say it is like prozac, but it really does help. I highly reccoment it to anyone.

Hey Taunya,

Isn't it strange how calming doing weights is? I just listen to the music and chill. Maybe it is because we spend so much of our lives being pulled in other directions, that it is really more centering than we realise.
    It also is a great reminder to mix up upper body and lower body workouts. Women normally have really weak arms...at least I do.....never did get those swimmer's shoulders.
    Anyway, It helps my mental health too.....
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    taunya said:

Barb,

You know, Taunya...

"Prozac" isn't so far from the truth. When your body exerts itself it produces beta-endorphins - a chemical that is very similar in make-up to morphine. In addition to just working off a lot of nervouse energy, crowding out a million problems and focusing on moving a weight for an hour or so, and stretching your body out, exercise can literally be a bit of a "high"...
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

You know, Taunya...

"Prozac" isn't so far from the truth. When your body exerts itself it produces beta-endorphins - a chemical that is very similar in make-up to morphine. In addition to just working off a lot of nervouse energy, crowding out a million problems and focusing on moving a weight for an hour or so, and stretching your body out, exercise can literally be a bit of a "high"...

As a retired "macho" male my workout consists of the following. Keep in mind that thongman here is now a bonafide "Mr Mum".
    Getting Jen "agonised" for work and making her cuppa. Feeding "Tessie". I then shuffle my time between doing brekky dishes(Jen won't buy me a dishwasher...whaaaa!") Shoving clothes in the washing machine, hanging laundry out, working in my shed, gardening, grocery shopping, paying bills, etc. etc, ad-nauseum.
    Today I am making wind deflectors for Jen's motorbike as well........then I better wash her bike too or all hell will break loose when she gets home(slave driver...lol!)
    Tonights evening meal is already planned! Eat yah heart out all!
    Rolled seasoned roast beef with lashings of roast spuds(potatoes)and parsnip, beans, peas n carrots with brocolli. My own personal gravy to finish off the dish.A slice of wholemeal garlic bread on the side. Dessert will be a blackberry self suacing pudding.
    I do Jen a large meal like this once or twice a week(the other days she gets "slosh n semolina"....awwww....jest kiddin!)
    So as you can see apart from treating my lovely Jen well I get plenty of excersise every day.....bugger the gym!

Barb........THONG!!!!!....he! he!
    Sponger.......you forgot to include...."pocket billiards".....lol!
    Emily.......you really should not have read what was on for our evening meal.

Now I gotta figure out a menu for tomorrow night....mmmmm........crackers n dip.
    love yah guys, kanga n Jen
  • tkd3g
    Options
    kangatoo said:

As a retired "macho" male my workout consists of the following. Keep in mind that thongman here is now a bonafide "Mr Mum".
    Getting Jen "agonised" for work and making her cuppa. Feeding "Tessie". I then shuffle my time between doing brekky dishes(Jen won't buy me a dishwasher...whaaaa!") Shoving clothes in the washing machine, hanging laundry out, working in my shed, gardening, grocery shopping, paying bills, etc. etc, ad-nauseum.
    Today I am making wind deflectors for Jen's motorbike as well........then I better wash her bike too or all hell will break loose when she gets home(slave driver...lol!)
    Tonights evening meal is already planned! Eat yah heart out all!
    Rolled seasoned roast beef with lashings of roast spuds(potatoes)and parsnip, beans, peas n carrots with brocolli. My own personal gravy to finish off the dish.A slice of wholemeal garlic bread on the side. Dessert will be a blackberry self suacing pudding.
    I do Jen a large meal like this once or twice a week(the other days she gets "slosh n semolina"....awwww....jest kiddin!)
    So as you can see apart from treating my lovely Jen well I get plenty of excersise every day.....bugger the gym!

Barb........THONG!!!!!....he! he!
    Sponger.......you forgot to include...."pocket billiards".....lol!
    Emily.......you really should not have read what was on for our evening meal.

Now I gotta figure out a menu for tomorrow night....mmmmm........crackers n dip.
    love yah guys, kanga n Jen

Dinner sounds good down under. Can I come over tomorrow night?

I'll bring my thong. And one for Jen, too. :)

( I know you already have yours, Kanga )

Barb ( who had chicken sausage with apples, sweet potatoes and watermelon for dinner)
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    tkd3g said:

Dinner sounds good down under. Can I come over tomorrow night?

I'll bring my thong. And one for Jen, too. :)

( I know you already have yours, Kanga )

Barb ( who had chicken sausage with apples, sweet potatoes and watermelon for dinner)

Struth Barb....don't let tha word get out or I will have to feed tha masses! Well..it is now tomorrow night..9.15pm and Jen and I have just finished tucking into the roast....mmmmmm....yummy!
    I think you better bring the top piece too Barb.....lol!
    Btw.....where's the photo of you I asked for? My puta room wall still has space left!
    huggs, Ross n Jen
  • Btrcup
    Btrcup Member Posts: 286
    Options
    Hey, I heard sex burns lots of calories too!!!

lolololol

Linda
  • tkd3g
    Options
    kangatoo said:

Struth Barb....don't let tha word get out or I will have to feed tha masses! Well..it is now tomorrow night..9.15pm and Jen and I have just finished tucking into the roast....mmmmmm....yummy!
    I think you better bring the top piece too Barb.....lol!
    Btw.....where's the photo of you I asked for? My puta room wall still has space left!
    huggs, Ross n Jen

I'm working on the photo.

Can I give you one that is 4 years old? I looked great then.

I know, I know, get over the self image problems. I'm working on it.

"Tops...I don't need no stinkin tops"

Ok - whose got the movie I kind of stole that from?

Barb