It's Me!!!! Monika & No-Type Bert

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey all. I know it's been an awful long time since anyone on this board has heard from me but I still have been lurking, whenever I can and probably always will. I haven't kept up to date so to all the newbies...so very sorry you have to be here but you couldn't have come to a better place. And to all the old timers, I've missed you guys a lot and you are a terrific group. I hope each and every one of you is hanging in there...we all are, and that things are good...truly I do.

Things are well here. Bert will be two years cancer free in July (AMEN!!!) For those of you who don't know, Bert, my husband, was diagnosed stage III with four nodes involved. After almost a year of crueling chemo (first 5fu/leuc and then another six months of 5fu/leuc/oxil), treatments stopped a year ago in July and he has been doing so wonderful ever since...almost like this beast never entered out lives. Mom, with inoperable lung cancer stage III diagnosed three years ago in September continues to remain stable with very, very little new growth that isn't doing a heck of a whole lot.

We have finally finished with the majority of our remodeling and that too has been a journey. Mom went to Europe late last year and if all goes well next week at her check-up, she'll be off again to Europe for five weeks. Good for her. Bert's colonoscopy is this Thursday but we honestly don't expect anything as his latest scans done about four months ago were clean and his tumor markers remain around 1.9!!!!! We are not off to Europe this year but look out next spring...here we come. Gotta hit those European swapmeets to find more of my passion...antiques!!!!

I will be participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life event this year....a 24 hour team walk/run on June 25th. It is my teams goal to raise $3,000 for cancer research so wish me luck folks...I plan on completing this event and I have darn good reasons too. I look foward to the Luminary event...when candles are lit at night to burn brightly in honor of or in memory of someone who has survived or lost their battle with this disease but never, ever lost their spirit. I will walk proudly for all those that I know who have been touched someway, somehow by this monster and carry the ACS's motto that there is no finish line in this race until we find a cure!

God bless you all and I'll be hanging around.

Hugs,
Monika

Comments

• Networks
    Networks Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Monika, glad to hear from you and that Bert is doing so well. I have to admit that I read everyone one of your posts due to the fact that I had similar issues with CEA counts and liver tests after chemo, spots on my liver, one lung nodule and a 3 CM mass that showed up near the original surgery site. I was of course very concerned with the findings and was sweating the results of the next scan, ultrasound and the biopsies of the mass. All were negative am I NED, but I was scared. Thank you for sharing this information with us, it helped me get through the rough road that many of us have or will face. Good luck to you and Bert!
  • littlejulie
    littlejulie Member Posts: 311
    Options
    HI MONIKA AND NO TYPE BERT - LOL!!! Glad to hear Bert is doing well. Thanks for checking in. I tend to lurk around here myself. Keep in touch and wish no type Bert WELL!!!!

julie
  • Shandle
    Shandle Member Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi Monika, Your posting is so uplifting! Great to hear that Bert is doing so well! Makes me all fuzzy inside! It is my goal to someday participate in the relay for life. Just need a little more time to gain some ground first. Europe..antiquing..wow... you two keep it up! Huggs Wanda~ aka xena cancer warrior
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hi Monika, It's a good sign that life is keeping you so busy that you can't keep up with the board. Great news about Bert and mom! keep it up, Judy
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl!!

Glad to hear your mom is hanging in there and traveling! Wow!

Very exciting about Bert too. Wow. Has it been two years??

peace, emily
  • bsrules
    bsrules Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Monika,

Great to hear from you!!!! I am so happy for you that Bert is doing so well!!!!!! I will have the candles burning brightly on that day and giving you a big cheer as you do the walk!!!!

Keep in touch when you can. Give Bert a BIG hug from me!!!!!

Love Always,

Sue