Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

hospital decision

minniejan
minniejan Member Posts: 88
edited March 2014 in Uterine Cancer #1
Hello,
Going for two opinions, one today, one tomorrow. Has anyone been treated or are being treated right now at HUP?
Thanks, Jan

Comments

  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    hup??
    Hi where is Hup?
  • minniejan
    minniejan Member Posts: 88
    nempark said:

    hup??
    Hi where is Hup?

    Hospital at the University
    Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
    minniejan said:

    Hospital at the University
    Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA

    Good for you---getting a second opinion
    Good for you-getting that second opinion. I did the same. And I had my surgery and treatments at the hospital where I received my second opinion.

    I think it made a huge difference in my outcome.

    Best wishes and hugs!

    Cindy
  • minniejan
    minniejan Member Posts: 88

    Good for you---getting a second opinion
    Good for you-getting that second opinion. I did the same. And I had my surgery and treatments at the hospital where I received my second opinion.

    I think it made a huge difference in my outcome.

    Best wishes and hugs!

    Cindy

    I am also going with my
    I am also going with my second opinion. My first opinion was in a suburban hospital close to home, and the doctor I saw there first was very annoyed that I was going for a second opinion, visibly annoyed. I had my (oncology chemo nurse) daughter with me in the room, she backed me up. That was the first red flag with this doctor. I will go in for surgery on Wednesday the 29th. Even though this is a grade 3 aggressive serous carcinoma the first opinion said, oh, we can wait til sometime in January. I was actually thinking of a third opinion, but am confident in my choice of HUP and the cancer center in Philadelphia. It will be more difficult travel wise, but definitely the way to go with what I am facing. I pray for a mild non-stormy winter!
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
    minniejan said:

    I am also going with my
    I am also going with my second opinion. My first opinion was in a suburban hospital close to home, and the doctor I saw there first was very annoyed that I was going for a second opinion, visibly annoyed. I had my (oncology chemo nurse) daughter with me in the room, she backed me up. That was the first red flag with this doctor. I will go in for surgery on Wednesday the 29th. Even though this is a grade 3 aggressive serous carcinoma the first opinion said, oh, we can wait til sometime in January. I was actually thinking of a third opinion, but am confident in my choice of HUP and the cancer center in Philadelphia. It will be more difficult travel wise, but definitely the way to go with what I am facing. I pray for a mild non-stormy winter!

    Minniejan
    I am glad you were happy with the second opinion doctor. I was as well with mine, and he is a brilliant surgeon.

    Good luck with your surgery.

    I now have to investigate thyroid nodules that turned up on a ct during my treatment.
    My last chemo was Nov 2nd. I have been waiting for my counts to go up which has taken a while, they are finally getting alittle better. (I had surgery end of March, second surgery April, three chemos followed by 25 radiations, then three chemos). I was 3C.

    I had a thyroid ultrasound Wednesday and it showed a couple of the nodules to be predominantly solid, so those will need to investigated, likely with needle biopsy so I am really scared. My oncologist was on vacation last week-his nurse will speak to him on it next week. I thought I was finished with all of this until my February follow up appointment, and now this new thyroid wrench was tossed in. My oncologist's nurse said that the nodules are rarely cancerous-90% are not, even when solid. So I sure hope I am in that group.

    I am very nervous as I am sure you are as well during this holiday season.

    I wish you well and keep us posted and let us know how your surgery goes.

    Hugs,
    Cindy
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,059
    minniejan said:

    I am also going with my
    I am also going with my second opinion. My first opinion was in a suburban hospital close to home, and the doctor I saw there first was very annoyed that I was going for a second opinion, visibly annoyed. I had my (oncology chemo nurse) daughter with me in the room, she backed me up. That was the first red flag with this doctor. I will go in for surgery on Wednesday the 29th. Even though this is a grade 3 aggressive serous carcinoma the first opinion said, oh, we can wait til sometime in January. I was actually thinking of a third opinion, but am confident in my choice of HUP and the cancer center in Philadelphia. It will be more difficult travel wise, but definitely the way to go with what I am facing. I pray for a mild non-stormy winter!

    Hello Minnijan:
    I am sorry

    Hello Minnijan:

    I am sorry you had to go thru that with your first doctor. I am glad you went for a second opinion. I had sort of the same thing happen to me. Because I asked for my records, they put on it patient seeking help elsewhere. I am glad I switched. What was your suburban hospital, if you don't mind me asking. I now travel about 3 hours for my check-ups, but it is well worth it.

    My best to you and my prayers to you on your upcoming surgery.
  • clscurnutt
    clscurnutt Member Posts: 26
    minniejan said:

    I am also going with my
    I am also going with my second opinion. My first opinion was in a suburban hospital close to home, and the doctor I saw there first was very annoyed that I was going for a second opinion, visibly annoyed. I had my (oncology chemo nurse) daughter with me in the room, she backed me up. That was the first red flag with this doctor. I will go in for surgery on Wednesday the 29th. Even though this is a grade 3 aggressive serous carcinoma the first opinion said, oh, we can wait til sometime in January. I was actually thinking of a third opinion, but am confident in my choice of HUP and the cancer center in Philadelphia. It will be more difficult travel wise, but definitely the way to go with what I am facing. I pray for a mild non-stormy winter!

    Hope and prayers to you for
    Hope and prayers to you for a speedy recovery from tomorrow's surgery. Looks like you'll be in good hands at HUP.
  • minniejan
    minniejan Member Posts: 88
    Kaleena said:

    Hello Minnijan:
    I am sorry

    Hello Minnijan:

    I am sorry you had to go thru that with your first doctor. I am glad you went for a second opinion. I had sort of the same thing happen to me. Because I asked for my records, they put on it patient seeking help elsewhere. I am glad I switched. What was your suburban hospital, if you don't mind me asking. I now travel about 3 hours for my check-ups, but it is well worth it.

    My best to you and my prayers to you on your upcoming surgery.

    Hello, Suburban hospital is
    Hello, Suburban hospital is Chester County in PA, which just opened up a new women's center very recently. But I am so glad I found a specialist, the second opinion, even though further away, that I feel comfortable with. It helps that he is extremely well regarded in this field. I will never understand why any doctor takes offense at a patient wanting another opinion. Anyway, surgery went well, still waiting for the staging. I thought I would know by now, but I assume due to having surgery during the holidays, the wait will be longer. So very tired, tuning down the pain meds in hope of getting some energy to spark. I came home a week ago today. I have been reading many posts today and find that having thyroid nodules found seems somewhat common. I had two found on a pre-surgical scan.