Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

new guy wants to ride bike

kooljay
kooljay Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
hello, and thanks for all the info, im just a simple guy that doesnt have a lot of computer skills. but can riding bicycles and motorcycles affect my dreaded PSA scores?

Comments

  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166
    Welcome
    kooljay, welcome to the forum.

    While there are many things that can affect PSA scores, conventional wisdom seems to suggest that just about anything that puts pressure on the prostate can cause some degree of PSA elevation. A DRE where the prostate is felt can elevate the reading. Sex before a blood draw will cause it to go up a couple of points. A hard stool passing through the colon can elevate PSA. Depending on your bicycle or motorcycle seat configuration and how you sit on it, that too can elevate PSA.

    I wouldn't give up the things we enjoy (like sex, bike riding, a motorcycle, and so forth) simply for the sake of a PSA reading. If you have a prostate you are going to have some level of PSA...it's a good thing and ensures that the sperm that is produced gets to its targeted destination with plenty of nutrients. The half life of PSA in the blood stream is about 2 days, so if you're really paranoid about the number, you might forego these simple pleasures a couple of days in advance of the blood draw.

    In any event, it's not PSA that does you harm. It's prostate cancer. PSA is just one of many factors that might indicate its presence.

    Do you have prostate cancer or are you just worried about it? What is the history of your last three or four PSA readings?

    Good luck to you and enjoy the good weather while you can.
  • kooljay
    kooljay Member Posts: 7
    Kongo said:

    Welcome
    kooljay, welcome to the forum.

    While there are many things that can affect PSA scores, conventional wisdom seems to suggest that just about anything that puts pressure on the prostate can cause some degree of PSA elevation. A DRE where the prostate is felt can elevate the reading. Sex before a blood draw will cause it to go up a couple of points. A hard stool passing through the colon can elevate PSA. Depending on your bicycle or motorcycle seat configuration and how you sit on it, that too can elevate PSA.

    I wouldn't give up the things we enjoy (like sex, bike riding, a motorcycle, and so forth) simply for the sake of a PSA reading. If you have a prostate you are going to have some level of PSA...it's a good thing and ensures that the sperm that is produced gets to its targeted destination with plenty of nutrients. The half life of PSA in the blood stream is about 2 days, so if you're really paranoid about the number, you might forego these simple pleasures a couple of days in advance of the blood draw.

    In any event, it's not PSA that does you harm. It's prostate cancer. PSA is just one of many factors that might indicate its presence.

    Do you have prostate cancer or are you just worried about it? What is the history of your last three or four PSA readings?

    Good luck to you and enjoy the good weather while you can.

    bike riding
    yes i have prostate cancer. and had the robot surgury done in loma linda in oct of this year. I am now waiting the results of my first psa test.
  • SV
    SV Member Posts: 152 **
    kooljay said:

    bike riding
    yes i have prostate cancer. and had the robot surgury done in loma linda in oct of this year. I am now waiting the results of my first psa test.

    I started riding a
    I started riding a motorcycle ten days after surgery, (two days post catheter removal) and although there is only mild discomfort, it does stress the sphincter to the point of causing leakage of a few drops when swinging a leg over or getting up too quick. As fun as the experience is for a dedicated rider, I would say it is too counter-productive to continue. I'm going to wait a few more weeks.
  • kooljay
    kooljay Member Posts: 7
    SV said:

    I started riding a
    I started riding a motorcycle ten days after surgery, (two days post catheter removal) and although there is only mild discomfort, it does stress the sphincter to the point of causing leakage of a few drops when swinging a leg over or getting up too quick. As fun as the experience is for a dedicated rider, I would say it is too counter-productive to continue. I'm going to wait a few more weeks.

    bike riders
    yes, the nurse at my docs office, said wait at least six weeks, after surgury, and so thats about three weeks after the cather comes out. thats what i did. and no problems, now i do have a bicycle with a old school hard leather seat BROOKS. and it is a little sore to use.