Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Xeloda feet

2»

Comments

  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 586
    Jaylo969 said:

    eyesight Rick
    I too have noticed that my eyesight is getting very bad since starting chemo. Prior to this I only needed drugstore reading glasses for small print.Last night I was watching the news and the lady reporting had 2 sets of lips..one right on top of the other.Sometimes it is worse than other times...

    So now with 7 tx completed I can't see, can't hear, can't think, walk like a cripple, and my insides are inflamed. I woke up w/bruises on my stomach yesterday. Unfortunately no one had 'touched' me. Sure hope this chemo is killing the bad cells too....( early morning pity party..LOL )

    It's gonna' be a lovely day. Spring has advanced into summer here. Was using the furnace last week; air conditioner this week.

    Hoping your feet get better. It is hard to function when the feet hurt.

    -Pat

    eyes
    My close vision is much worse, but my glasses still fix my vision perfectly. I am not sure if it was the chemo, losing 60+ lbs or a combination of the two. I want to wait to have my eyes checked again until after my reversal April 20, just to let my weight settle to the new normal before I have them tested.
  • biglaur
    biglaur Member Posts: 72

    miracle foot cream
    Some stuff I got at walgreens - basically aloe with a few other things in it - worked really well for me and was very cheap - not as greasy as most.

    2 cents worth
    I'll just add my thoughts...and what worked for me. Bag balm and udder cream were great. My hands and feet blistered and completely peeled several times. The microwaveable sox and gloves are FABULOUS. But the best luck I had was with Cymbalta. Yes, the antidepressant. I'm not depressed, but my doc prescribed it because it has been found to help diabetics with hand and foot. Wowsers...within days I felt TONS better. As soon as I was finished with my 6 months of Xeloda...I weaned myself off the Cymbalt and within 6 weeks, all numbness and pain was GONE.
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731
    Jaylo969 said:

    Xeloda dose
    Beth, I am on 3,000 mg daily...2 wks on, 1 wk off.I have 5 more treatments/cycles. My Doc says that every 3 wks when she sees me we will reassess everything.I think she is about ready to take me off of chemo completely but I am not ready to do that....yet. I want to give it my best shot and then I'll be content to let the chips fall where they may.

    Is your feet problem due to neuropathy or is it the hand/foot syndrome ( or both?)

    -Pat

    Not sure
    actually, was told it was neuropathy, what is the hand/foot syndrome?
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824
    dorookie said:

    Not sure
    actually, was told it was neuropathy, what is the hand/foot syndrome?

    Hand foot syndrome vs neuropathy
    Hi Beth...hand & foot syndrome isn't the same as neuropathy although both suck.

    Hand-Foot Syndrome
    Other terms: Palmar-Plantar Erythrodysesthesia; PPE

    What is hand-foot syndrome?

    Also called hand-foot syndrome or hand-to-foot syndrome, Palmar-Plantar Erythrodysesthesia is a side effect, which can occur with several types of chemotherapy or biologic therapy drugs used to treat cancer. For example, Capecitabine (Xeloda®), 5-Flurouracil (5FU), continuous-infusion doxorubicin, doxorubicin liposomal (Doxil®), and high-dose Interleukin-2 can cause this skin reaction for some patients. Following administration of chemotherapy, small amounts of drug leak out of very small blood vessels called capillaries in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. Exposure of your hands and feet to heat as well as friction on your palms and soles increases the amount of drug in the capillaries and increases the amount of drug leakage. This leakage of drug results in redness, tenderness, and possibly peeling of the palms and soles. The redness, also known as palmar-plantar erythema, looks like sunburn. The areas affected can become dry and peel, with numbness or tingling developing. Hand-foot syndrome can be uncomfortable and can interfere with your ability to carry out normal activities.

    http://www.chemocare.com/managing/handfoot_syndrome.asp

    I REALLY wish someone would post directions on how to insert a link on this forum!

    -Pat
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824
    biglaur said:

    2 cents worth
    I'll just add my thoughts...and what worked for me. Bag balm and udder cream were great. My hands and feet blistered and completely peeled several times. The microwaveable sox and gloves are FABULOUS. But the best luck I had was with Cymbalta. Yes, the antidepressant. I'm not depressed, but my doc prescribed it because it has been found to help diabetics with hand and foot. Wowsers...within days I felt TONS better. As soon as I was finished with my 6 months of Xeloda...I weaned myself off the Cymbalt and within 6 weeks, all numbness and pain was GONE.

    Thanks for all of the suggestions
    The foot stuff started on the 14th day of 2nd cycle of Xeloda. It lasted 3 days with my feet.They are now more or less "ok". Hands were already messed up from the 5-FU. My hands are still swollen and red but don't burn like when I was on Folfox.Looks like I have on red baseball gloves..LOL

    Go to onc tomorrow. Any bets on what she'll say? Dose reduction?

    -Pat
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392
    Jaylo969 said:

    Thanks for all of the suggestions
    The foot stuff started on the 14th day of 2nd cycle of Xeloda. It lasted 3 days with my feet.They are now more or less "ok". Hands were already messed up from the 5-FU. My hands are still swollen and red but don't burn like when I was on Folfox.Looks like I have on red baseball gloves..LOL

    Go to onc tomorrow. Any bets on what she'll say? Dose reduction?

    -Pat

    Xeloda Cycles
    Hi Pat

    You can certainly talk to them about reductions - this might really help you.

    Not sure what mgs a day you are taking, but it sounds like they have you on a 14/7 plan right now. I'm assuming you are taking between 3000-4000 mgs a day.

    As you're discovering, the toxicity of this drug builds up on you each cycle and you are seeing the effects about now on your 2nd cycle. I did Xeloda for about 9-months and we tried several combinations.

    On the last few cycles I took, we adjusted my dose down to 7-on 7-off and I took 3 Xelodas twice a day @ 500 mgs each. While we only reduced the actual dosage about 1000mgs a day, chaning it from 14/7 to 7/7 really helped the toxicity issues and made it more tolerable. And only having to do it twice a month, meant only ONE prescription and not 2, so it will save you money.

    Your onc might eventually consider making some changes the longer you are on this "medicine."

    I found it was harder on my stomach as time marched on too, but would take some meds and made it ok.

    -Craig
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824
    Sundanceh said:

    Xeloda Cycles
    Hi Pat

    You can certainly talk to them about reductions - this might really help you.

    Not sure what mgs a day you are taking, but it sounds like they have you on a 14/7 plan right now. I'm assuming you are taking between 3000-4000 mgs a day.

    As you're discovering, the toxicity of this drug builds up on you each cycle and you are seeing the effects about now on your 2nd cycle. I did Xeloda for about 9-months and we tried several combinations.

    On the last few cycles I took, we adjusted my dose down to 7-on 7-off and I took 3 Xelodas twice a day @ 500 mgs each. While we only reduced the actual dosage about 1000mgs a day, chaning it from 14/7 to 7/7 really helped the toxicity issues and made it more tolerable. And only having to do it twice a month, meant only ONE prescription and not 2, so it will save you money.

    Your onc might eventually consider making some changes the longer you are on this "medicine."

    I found it was harder on my stomach as time marched on too, but would take some meds and made it ok.

    -Craig

    Hey Craig
    Hope you are having a beautiful day!

    I started out on 3,300 mg Xeloda and was reduced to 3,000 the next cycle.Start 8th cycle tomorrow.

    Have an Onc appt in 2 hrs.

    Tomorrow...who knows what dose I'll be on? Doctor has said that we will reassess my status every 3 wks.

    I feel real good today :):) Happy, Happy

    -Pat
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 **
    Jaylo969 said:

    Hey Craig
    Hope you are having a beautiful day!

    I started out on 3,300 mg Xeloda and was reduced to 3,000 the next cycle.Start 8th cycle tomorrow.

    Have an Onc appt in 2 hrs.

    Tomorrow...who knows what dose I'll be on? Doctor has said that we will reassess my status every 3 wks.

    I feel real good today :):) Happy, Happy

    -Pat

    Had no break with Xeloda....
    took 1650mg every morning, 1500 each evening, Sun night to Fri morn, five straight weeks, with once a week oxy infusion and 33 days of radiation prior to colostomy.....No break for the weary......Enjoy weather; its in 70s here......steve
  • john1960
    john1960 Member Posts: 8
    Hand-Foot Syndrome
    Frustrating, isn't it? I've been experiencing HF Syndrome from Sutent (sutinib) for nearly 3 years.

    I find the chilled shoe inserts help enormously. Anything cool helps some with the burning. I keep a tube of Amlactin Foot Creme in the fridge just for that purpose. Gold Bond Pain Relieving Foot Creme is also a help. (You can get these at www.drugstore.com.)

    I've also found using Walgreen's Aloe Vera with Vitamin E lotion from the start of each round of treatment helps a lot. I put that on first and then use Bag Balm. I get more relief starting this the day before or day of the first treatment. It seems like it helps head off some of the discomfort. The combination seems to help with the burning and reducing the peeling that always comes about in the last weeks of the drug cycle. I've also gotten some relief from the burning with DMSO.

    Although I haven't gotten any relief from it, some friends swear by "The Henna Treatment" for HF Syndrome. There's a recipe here: http://thyroidcancerfight.blogspot.com/2008/09/formula-for-henna-treatment-for-hand.html .

    Hope things go well for you and that you get some relief!

    John
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824
    john1960 said:

    Hand-Foot Syndrome
    Frustrating, isn't it? I've been experiencing HF Syndrome from Sutent (sutinib) for nearly 3 years.

    I find the chilled shoe inserts help enormously. Anything cool helps some with the burning. I keep a tube of Amlactin Foot Creme in the fridge just for that purpose. Gold Bond Pain Relieving Foot Creme is also a help. (You can get these at www.drugstore.com.)

    I've also found using Walgreen's Aloe Vera with Vitamin E lotion from the start of each round of treatment helps a lot. I put that on first and then use Bag Balm. I get more relief starting this the day before or day of the first treatment. It seems like it helps head off some of the discomfort. The combination seems to help with the burning and reducing the peeling that always comes about in the last weeks of the drug cycle. I've also gotten some relief from the burning with DMSO.

    Although I haven't gotten any relief from it, some friends swear by "The Henna Treatment" for HF Syndrome. There's a recipe here: http://thyroidcancerfight.blogspot.com/2008/09/formula-for-henna-treatment-for-hand.html .

    Hope things go well for you and that you get some relief!

    John

    thank you John1960
    I'm sending you a PM regarding the thyroid treatment. I had it in 1999.

    -Pat