Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

I have a question I need answered

lcarper2
lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have been hurting in the middle of my back for 4 or 5 days it is just under my shoulder blades it isn't something I can't stand but it seems worse when I go to bed...it is a constant pain not palsating stays pretty steady. asprin will dull it but not make it go away.My question , is this something I should be concerned about or just let nature take it's course.

Louann
«1

Comments

  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    dr appt
    If it were me I would get to the Dr if you can. Your concerned enough to write about it so trust your instincts.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    Pain
    You know your body best. I wouldn't wait too long but I'd give it a bit if it felt like the right thing to do.
    Does that make sense?
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    Gall bladder?
    Lou Ann, do you still have your gallbladder? Several of us had ours go bad after surgery. My gall bladder pain was the right side of my back and up under that shoulder blade.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635

    Gall bladder?
    Lou Ann, do you still have your gallbladder? Several of us had ours go bad after surgery. My gall bladder pain was the right side of my back and up under that shoulder blade.

    gall blader
    no it was removed in 1975 ...hope it didn't grow back...lol
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    lcarper2 said:

    gall blader
    no it was removed in 1975 ...hope it didn't grow back...lol

    LouAnn...
    I been also experiencing aches and pains around my right shoulder, and my lower left back, so since my dr has now left the practice to move with her new baby, I'll be meeting a new onc who was on her team though next month, he's supposed to be very good, with a great reputation, but she sent me down to get x-rays before I got my chemo, she wanted to be sure the cancer wasn't getting into the bones, though she said it was highly unlikely, since I am not in any severe pain, and it wasn't gall-bladder related since it would hurt alot as well, and I wasn't screaming in pain for anything, but she wanted to be safer then sorry to see if something like a pinced nerve or something was doing it.

    My hubby bought bough some icy hot balm, which works wonderful, have it massaged and rubbed in well, once the heat sets in, it feels so good, and also a heating pad works well too on those areas. When I told her that actually worked for the pain, she said that was good then, it may be my hard bed, I been having not much good sleep on it, it's a brand new king-size and I wish it was just a little softer.

    I guess I'll find out in a few days how my x-rays went, or maybe I'll just call her today and see if she seen anything.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
    Shayenne said:

    LouAnn...
    I been also experiencing aches and pains around my right shoulder, and my lower left back, so since my dr has now left the practice to move with her new baby, I'll be meeting a new onc who was on her team though next month, he's supposed to be very good, with a great reputation, but she sent me down to get x-rays before I got my chemo, she wanted to be sure the cancer wasn't getting into the bones, though she said it was highly unlikely, since I am not in any severe pain, and it wasn't gall-bladder related since it would hurt alot as well, and I wasn't screaming in pain for anything, but she wanted to be safer then sorry to see if something like a pinced nerve or something was doing it.

    My hubby bought bough some icy hot balm, which works wonderful, have it massaged and rubbed in well, once the heat sets in, it feels so good, and also a heating pad works well too on those areas. When I told her that actually worked for the pain, she said that was good then, it may be my hard bed, I been having not much good sleep on it, it's a brand new king-size and I wish it was just a little softer.

    I guess I'll find out in a few days how my x-rays went, or maybe I'll just call her today and see if she seen anything.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    shayenne
    If it keeps up I'll go and have it looked at but I may have just pulled something and it will be aright. Seems to be getting alittle bettter...sure hope ur x-rays come back good
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
    lcarper2 said:

    shayenne
    If it keeps up I'll go and have it looked at but I may have just pulled something and it will be aright. Seems to be getting alittle bettter...sure hope ur x-rays come back good

    Call your ONC. I only say
    Call your ONC. I only say this because my ONC told me to call him, if I got this pain.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    I hurt all over but.......
    my ouchies keep moving. Since chemo ended, I feel like an old lady (bone aching wise) Two aspirin and a hot shower take care of my aches, tho.

    Donna, can you get one of those egg crate foam toppers for your side of the bed? That might help. Also, lots of places let you return a mattress within 90 days if you don't sleep well on it.

    Louann, Talk to onc about aspirin. I don't think you're supposed to take aspirin during chemo due to platelets.

    I know my shoulders and back are from stress and also from a new desk chair. Nick's chair broke so I gave him the one from my desk. Hubby gave me his very fancy office desk chair but the seat is not for short people and the lumbar section in the back pushes in the wrong spot. I just need to give him his chair back and find one that fits short people.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
    Nana b said:

    Call your ONC. I only say
    Call your ONC. I only say this because my ONC told me to call him, if I got this pain.

    calling
    on the phone now
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635

    I hurt all over but.......
    my ouchies keep moving. Since chemo ended, I feel like an old lady (bone aching wise) Two aspirin and a hot shower take care of my aches, tho.

    Donna, can you get one of those egg crate foam toppers for your side of the bed? That might help. Also, lots of places let you return a mattress within 90 days if you don't sleep well on it.

    Louann, Talk to onc about aspirin. I don't think you're supposed to take aspirin during chemo due to platelets.

    I know my shoulders and back are from stress and also from a new desk chair. Nick's chair broke so I gave him the one from my desk. Hubby gave me his very fancy office desk chair but the seat is not for short people and the lumbar section in the back pushes in the wrong spot. I just need to give him his chair back and find one that fits short people.

    called the ONC office
    called and LM for the doctor so they will call me back and advise me as what to do...
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    lcarper2 said:

    called the ONC office
    called and LM for the doctor so they will call me back and advise me as what to do...

    LouAnn....
    The nurse practitioner called with mt X-Ray results, and she said they came out really good!

    Thank goodness, I am so happy I got no spreads, I feel better. Plus she noticed my hemoglobin was very low, which is explaining why my fatigue is lasto longer, and may need to get a blood tranfusion next time....that would make me feel better, I usually have more energy and feel better with them, it's been awhile since I had one.

    Hope you feel better! ny NP told me to just keeping the icy hot and hot compresses on since that's what's been helping me so far easing the soreness. Try it :)

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
    Shayenne said:

    LouAnn....
    The nurse practitioner called with mt X-Ray results, and she said they came out really good!

    Thank goodness, I am so happy I got no spreads, I feel better. Plus she noticed my hemoglobin was very low, which is explaining why my fatigue is lasto longer, and may need to get a blood tranfusion next time....that would make me feel better, I usually have more energy and feel better with them, it's been awhile since I had one.

    Hope you feel better! ny NP told me to just keeping the icy hot and hot compresses on since that's what's been helping me so far easing the soreness. Try it :)

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    shayenne
    Did they say your hemoglobin is low that comes from blood loss doesn't it anyway still waiting for a call back from my ONC , hey glad to see your X-rays are good things are looking you for you keep up the good work...
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
    lcarper2 said:

    shayenne
    Did they say your hemoglobin is low that comes from blood loss doesn't it anyway still waiting for a call back from my ONC , hey glad to see your X-rays are good things are looking you for you keep up the good work...

    ONC called
    said to take non asprin for the pain and use a heating pad if that don't help to call them back
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    lcarper2 said:

    ONC called
    said to take non asprin for the pain and use a heating pad if that don't help to call them back

    Well...
    I am anemic as well, and have lost blood before, but the iron levels are always so low, they can't even find where the blood is leaving from, they took every test, and this is about the 3rd time I'll need a blood tranfusion, but I trust them. My aunt had something like this happening to her, where she was losing blood, and the doctors over at St. Vincents in NY couldn't even find there it was. She didn't even have cancer, but after a couple weeks, the bleeding stopped, and she was able to go home, it's very strange. Use some icy hot balm as well under the heating pad, it will make the muscles nice and hot.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
    Shayenne said:

    Well...
    I am anemic as well, and have lost blood before, but the iron levels are always so low, they can't even find where the blood is leaving from, they took every test, and this is about the 3rd time I'll need a blood tranfusion, but I trust them. My aunt had something like this happening to her, where she was losing blood, and the doctors over at St. Vincents in NY couldn't even find there it was. She didn't even have cancer, but after a couple weeks, the bleeding stopped, and she was able to go home, it's very strange. Use some icy hot balm as well under the heating pad, it will make the muscles nice and hot.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    shayenne
    Yes I am using everything I can get my hands on and hope it will stop..my father has a blood condition when he was alive that he made to much blood and would have to go 3 x a yr to have some drained so he got all kinds of awards for donating blood. Anyway hope you are feeling better.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    Confused....
    I thought mets to the bone were only visible with bone scans and PET scans unless it was a huge spread. Is this incorrect?
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635

    Confused....
    I thought mets to the bone were only visible with bone scans and PET scans unless it was a huge spread. Is this incorrect?

    confused
    Well that makes 2 of us that are confused ...not sure if you are talking to me or shayenne, I don't have mets anywhere ...
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    lcarper2 said:

    confused
    Well that makes 2 of us that are confused ...not sure if you are talking to me or shayenne, I don't have mets anywhere ...

    Sorry Louann
    I was replying to Donna.

    BTW.... last time I used an Icy Hot type med, it 'burned' my skin. Not sure what THAT was about!
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

    Sorry Louann
    I was replying to Donna.

    BTW.... last time I used an Icy Hot type med, it 'burned' my skin. Not sure what THAT was about!

    I guess....
    They can also come up up X-Rays, That's how they found my colon and liver cancer, without a colonoscopy, or anything, it all showed on the x-rays for me. I then took a colonoscopy a couple days later when they admitted me for 5 days for a series of tests, but these doctors could tell what stage it was and everything from the X-Ray.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635
    Shayenne said:

    I guess....
    They can also come up up X-Rays, That's how they found my colon and liver cancer, without a colonoscopy, or anything, it all showed on the x-rays for me. I then took a colonoscopy a couple days later when they admitted me for 5 days for a series of tests, but these doctors could tell what stage it was and everything from the X-Ray.

    shayenne
    I started taking non asprin last night and it hurts alot less today I think I may have dreamed I was super woman and pulled something trying to get into those darn tights...