Semi-Colon Roll Call

2456712

Comments

  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 952
    Surprise conception....
    In March of last year my husband and I received the biggest surprise of our lives. I discovered I was 2 months pregnant with our 3rd child and we really had no idea how it happened. Two older children in our room as well as other conventional BC methods didn't prevent the pregnancy. But we looked forward to adding to our family and called the new baby our "immaculate conception.

    Fast forward to November when I went in for scheduled c-section. After my tubal ligation the attending surgeon was feeling about my abdomen and felt a nodule (lymphn node) next to the colon and beneath my uterus. Surgical oncologist called immediately and biopsy confirmed adenocarcinoma. CT scan (my 9th wedding anniversary) that week confirmed 5 liver mets. I was diagnosed on 11/10 (my birthday). My husband's birthday had been 2 days before.

    First oncologist said I was not operable. Second opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering said I was "close" to resection.

    11/24/08: Started FOLFOX
    1/20: 2 month CT scan. Everything shrunk by 40%
    2/20: colon surgery, liver surgery (40% removed, entire left lobe, wedge of right), gall bladder removed and HAI pump implanted
    3/16: CT scan after being off of chemo for 2 months shows NED
    3/23: Started HAI liver chemo therapy for 6 months
    4/6/9: Will re-start FOLFOX for 6 rounds

    Pathology from surgery indicated largest liver lesion at diagnosis had gone down 90% and was 90% necrotic. 7 of 42 lymph nodes infected.

    My oncologist said the NED period started with surgery.

    My daughter Katherine ("Katie Bird") is my angel...
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565
    2bhealed said:

    Mayor Riley
    I totally forgot y'all were living in my uncle's town!

    :-)

    peace, emily

    NO!
    Your uncle is Mayor Joe?
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    sheri22 said:

    havent seen that video
    Scouty
    No I havent seen that video but it sounds like a boxer. You have that post about Florida too I think , I do have a question for you , my husband and I are going to Ocean city this month I love the ocean but the dr has warned me about the sun are the side affects that bad or is it just rash? I just thought you would be the one to ask the Florida vacation sounds like fun too hopefully next year?

    Are you on 5FU
    I used to live in DC so am very familiar with Ocean City. I'm guessing you are taking 5FU or Xeloda (I think that is the pill version of 5FU) and yes they do warn about skin irritation from sun exposure while on it. But they also warned me about digging in my gardens and I could pick up serious infections from the soil. That last one pissed me off big time so I ignored it and planted my veggie and flower gardens anyway (a few time with my 5FU fanny pack on in the sun) and never had any problems. I found it very important to do normal things every once in a while so I could forget I had cancer even if it was just for a few minutes.

    I will say it seemed I got red pretty quickly so I just lathered up more sunscreen and was careful not to be out in the sun for too long at a time. I went on an all day deep sea fishing trip and just stayed in the shade more than I usually would.

    Today I am not near the sun worshiper that I used to be but I can not stay inside. I believe in Vitamin D!!!

    Enjoy your trip and I hope I've answered your question. Give me your personal email on my email here and I'll get you that great boxer/baby video. It's an attachment. Anyone else that wants it can do the same. And you are so right, it is very boxeress with the pawing and the yawn (like that word; boxeress??).
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    mom_2_3 said:

    Surprise conception....
    In March of last year my husband and I received the biggest surprise of our lives. I discovered I was 2 months pregnant with our 3rd child and we really had no idea how it happened. Two older children in our room as well as other conventional BC methods didn't prevent the pregnancy. But we looked forward to adding to our family and called the new baby our "immaculate conception.

    Fast forward to November when I went in for scheduled c-section. After my tubal ligation the attending surgeon was feeling about my abdomen and felt a nodule (lymphn node) next to the colon and beneath my uterus. Surgical oncologist called immediately and biopsy confirmed adenocarcinoma. CT scan (my 9th wedding anniversary) that week confirmed 5 liver mets. I was diagnosed on 11/10 (my birthday). My husband's birthday had been 2 days before.

    First oncologist said I was not operable. Second opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering said I was "close" to resection.

    11/24/08: Started FOLFOX
    1/20: 2 month CT scan. Everything shrunk by 40%
    2/20: colon surgery, liver surgery (40% removed, entire left lobe, wedge of right), gall bladder removed and HAI pump implanted
    3/16: CT scan after being off of chemo for 2 months shows NED
    3/23: Started HAI liver chemo therapy for 6 months
    4/6/9: Will re-start FOLFOX for 6 rounds

    Pathology from surgery indicated largest liver lesion at diagnosis had gone down 90% and was 90% necrotic. 7 of 42 lymph nodes infected.

    My oncologist said the NED period started with surgery.

    My daughter Katherine ("Katie Bird") is my angel...

    hi
    42 years old, had some bleeding, vague abdomindal and back pain, stretching like feeling in my stomach, palpitations.. went for colonoscopy they found 3 cm polyp which they said looked benign and sent me to mayo clinic for removal. He wrote on colonoscopy report however that it was essentially the diameter of the colonic lumen so when i got to mayo they expected i had very advanced disease and pretty much gave me my death sentence, and i told them they were wrong..then they did their own colonoscopy and sure enough they found just the polyp and they were sure it was benign too so we celebrated! The next day i went for endoscopic removal of the polyp and then went home. 2 days later i got a call and the devasating news they had found cancer in it.
    I went back down for my resection and although it was negative for residual carcinoma, they found it in 1 lymph node out of 26, so i began chemo and radiation in august of 2008. I am getting 12 rounds plus the chemoradiation.. i had to quit oxaliplatin due to an allergic reaction. My 12th treatment in on April 20th...It was T1 moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma. no lymphatic or perineural invasion
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    scouty said:

    Are you on 5FU
    I used to live in DC so am very familiar with Ocean City. I'm guessing you are taking 5FU or Xeloda (I think that is the pill version of 5FU) and yes they do warn about skin irritation from sun exposure while on it. But they also warned me about digging in my gardens and I could pick up serious infections from the soil. That last one pissed me off big time so I ignored it and planted my veggie and flower gardens anyway (a few time with my 5FU fanny pack on in the sun) and never had any problems. I found it very important to do normal things every once in a while so I could forget I had cancer even if it was just for a few minutes.

    I will say it seemed I got red pretty quickly so I just lathered up more sunscreen and was careful not to be out in the sun for too long at a time. I went on an all day deep sea fishing trip and just stayed in the shade more than I usually would.

    Today I am not near the sun worshiper that I used to be but I can not stay inside. I believe in Vitamin D!!!

    Enjoy your trip and I hope I've answered your question. Give me your personal email on my email here and I'll get you that great boxer/baby video. It's an attachment. Anyone else that wants it can do the same. And you are so right, it is very boxeress with the pawing and the yawn (like that word; boxeress??).

    Scouty
    Thanks for all the info My email is [email protected] I liked your info on the other thread I was going to be really depressed if I could not play in my flowers I hope I get to meet younnext year in Florida boxers are my soft spot

    Sheri22
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Trainer lives in Scottsdale, Arizona
    My name is Mike Walker and when I had my first colonoscopy, two polyps were discovered, one OK, the other cancerious. The gastro. snipped them both out, but recommended surgery. This was in Sept. and surgery for the resection followed in October. The surgeons couldn't find a thing wrong,no cancer and if it hadn't been for the tattoo marks the gastro. doc put in, they said they couldn't see a thing. They started off with daVinci, but due to the absence of cancer, they sliced and diced me with the big cut. They were going to take 18 inches, but as a result ended up with 5 inches of colon being removed. Recovery was hard, as all us Semicolons know. Since then, I've been checked twice and they have not found any disease, giving me the NED title. I asked the Onc. what stage my cancer was and he said a zero, maybe a one, but since it was caught early in the polyps, it was dfficult to judge. Prayers really do work and I believe all the prayers offered up on my behalf were responsible for "deleting" my cancer.

    The colonoscopy was my first, and since then, I've gotten more than 50 friends and family to finally go get their first colonoscopy. I was blessed with great doctors and a great medical team. My Navy health care (I'm a retired Navy Officer) Tricare is wonderful and they are doing everything promptly and not causing problems.

    So, two more PET scans and the onc. said he wouldn't need to see me again except annually. I know I am blessed to have gotten the cancer detected early. I stand in awe of those of you on the board who are so strong and cull of courage and humor.

    We've lived in Scottsdale since 1980, prior to that, Waukegan, IL and my home state is Kansas.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi, folks!

    I presented with a lot of bleeding and ended up being sent to the hospital that day, and the next day a colonoscopy confirmed that I did have a tumor. Diagnosed Stage 1, sigmoid colon cancer on Nov. 21, 2007. Had colon resection on Nov.23, 2007 (lost about 2 ft. of my colon), and I have been NED since then. Persistent pain has had me worried more than once. It has been discovered that the pain is from nerves trapped by scar tissue. Other than that, I'm good!

    I'll be walking in my second survivor lap at Relay for Life on May 15!

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    Mike lives in Gilbert AZ
    I live in Gilbert AZ and was diagnosed in September after a colonoscopy for some symptoms of sluggish bowels and lots of indigestion. The scope found a lesion and I was referred for surgery on October 15th had a Hemicolectomy, not sure how many inches but half of it is now gone. I went through the surgery fine and was diagnosed stage IIIc with 7 of 17 lymph nodes involved. I would have moved quickly to Folfox chemo but a wound infection slowed me. I started chemo December 4th and have completed 9 rounds. I will be done this May and I can see the end of this chemo is close. The wound infection really blurred the first PET scan. The Oncologist said, I don't believe the findings, I think its grannular tissue and scarring, but he said lets add AVASTIN to your regimen because your young and healthy and if were wrong we moved to the right therapy for stage four, and if were wrong we got aggressive. I told it hit me with whatever you need and I'll be the best patient ever. The chemo has been no walk in the park but I am upright, good blood counts and near the end of the first 12 rounds. I feel good most of the time and believe the wound infection caused the PET to look bad. The PET tech really took no history or I would have said, I had a infection the size of my right hand. I feel good, healing is great, and I am betting the PET results were skewed by the infection and healing.

    Thats alot to share but it my story of the last 8 months. I am a cancer survivor as everyone on this chain is, I have found some of the strongest people and most reassuring stories from the people on this message board. Good luck to us all, fight the good fight, and make long term plans. Attitude matters.

    Mike
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    sheri22 said:

    Scouty
    Thanks for all the info My email is [email protected] I liked your info on the other thread I was going to be really depressed if I could not play in my flowers I hope I get to meet younnext year in Florida boxers are my soft spot

    Sheri22

    got a reject
    I tried but got a reject from the email above..........
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261

    Diane from Georgia
    I'm Diane from Villa Rica, Georgia

    Dx'd on Jan. 2nd, 2009, just days after my 58th birthday. Had resection on Jan. 7th. Spent 42 hours in the hospital before discharge. Surgeon removed 18" of colon via lap surgery. I was put on a regular diet less than 18 hours after surgery! Port installed a few weeks later.

    Stage III
    5 out of 17 lymph nodes showed 'a few cancer cells' (surgeons words) No sign of cancer in liver biopsy.
    No mets

    Currently having chemo. 3 out of 12 completed as of April 2, 2009. . I'm getting the usual triple cocktail and am wearing the fanny pack home for 46 hours. Fluorouracil Levoleucovorin Oxaliplatin


    I am exercising, eating a Mediterranean Diet, taking vitamins and praying.

    Diane I am just a few yards further down the road
    I am on treatment 9 and relate to your story. Good luck, I can see the end of chemo coming,(I hope) and want you to know that number 9,10 , 11, and 12 happens. Hang in there and good luck.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Good topic, Scouty!
    Love the information sharing!

    Ok... my story so far...

    DX'd Dec 19/06, colon cancer where the tumour had perforated the intestinal wall, forming an abscess around the tumour and causing peritonits in the abdomen.

    Dec 19 - Jan 3/07 was in the hospital on IV antibiotics to try and clear up the peritonitis infection before they could attempt a colon resection.

    Jan 3 - surgery to remove tumour, abscess and 18 inches of colon plus 17 nodes (1 tested positive for cancer).

    March - Oct 2007 the usual combo of three FOLFOX/Leuvocorin

    May - June 2007 daily radiation, 3 zaps/day

    Dec/07 - elevated CEA (6.0) but was on my way to Hawaii so onc said to go and enjoy myself.

    End of Jan 2008, CEA was elevated to an 18... so PET scan ordered.

    PET scan lit up with a met to my right lung and my right adrenal gland.

    CAT scan showed 7 mets in the lung, only one lit up the PET scan, the other 6 were too small to affect the PET scan

    June 2008 - surgical removal of the right adrenal gland (very painful surgery and recovery!)

    January 2009 - RFA of the one lung met.

    Tomorrow I meet with my oncologist for a "touch base" appt. since we are in a "wait and see" mode for the other lung mets... they are too small to ablate or treat with chemo so we wait and see. The longer we can go without going back on chemo, the better... gives the body that much more time to heal from the original 8 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation.

    Meanwhile, I'm having a blast and busier than ever. I'm way too busy to actually work , so I'm enjoying each day as "ME" time :)

    Hugggggs,

    Cheryl

    .... next ....
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723
    Dx in jan 98. Had
    Dx in jan 98. Had surgery next day. Lost most of my descending colon. 13 nodes removed ,six cancerous. Aggressive stage3c. 5FU//levamisole every tuesday for 48 weeks. have been ca free since surgery, cosidered cured. Live in Nambour on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland,Australia.
  • Greylloyd
    Greylloyd Member Posts: 3
    New to Forum
    Hi There

    Living in Melbourne, Australia.

    Diagnosed with Stage III (C) colon cancer with 3/18 positive lymph nodes in November 08 at age 39.
    Currently undergoing fortnightly Folfox 6 chemotherapy treatments. Have just completed 7 sessions with 5 to go.

    Can't wait for treatment to finish and can't wait to be NED.

    cheers

    Greylloyd
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071
    Greylloyd said:

    New to Forum
    Hi There

    Living in Melbourne, Australia.

    Diagnosed with Stage III (C) colon cancer with 3/18 positive lymph nodes in November 08 at age 39.
    Currently undergoing fortnightly Folfox 6 chemotherapy treatments. Have just completed 7 sessions with 5 to go.

    Can't wait for treatment to finish and can't wait to be NED.

    cheers

    Greylloyd

    Welcome to the board Grey, and I'm present to I think lol
    Ok my story
    My name is Sonia, 32 years old, from Bolton in England and married
    Fainted in Dec 08, and had blood and xray done. Apprently walking around with a blood count of 5.6, which amazed doctors.
    To find out what bleeding was, had colonscopy and endoscopy. Colonscopy found the big zit (lol, that's what think the tumour looked like when I saw it)
    Diagnosed on the 17/2/09, had right hemicolectomy on the 11/3/09, diagnosed with stage 3, with 10/11 lymph nodes infected.
    Will be starting chemo in a few weeks. You are all an inspiration to me against this fight, glad I'm here.
    Hugs
    Sonia
  • ADKer
    ADKer Member Posts: 147
    Sonia32 said:

    Welcome to the board Grey, and I'm present to I think lol
    Ok my story
    My name is Sonia, 32 years old, from Bolton in England and married
    Fainted in Dec 08, and had blood and xray done. Apprently walking around with a blood count of 5.6, which amazed doctors.
    To find out what bleeding was, had colonscopy and endoscopy. Colonscopy found the big zit (lol, that's what think the tumour looked like when I saw it)
    Diagnosed on the 17/2/09, had right hemicolectomy on the 11/3/09, diagnosed with stage 3, with 10/11 lymph nodes infected.
    Will be starting chemo in a few weeks. You are all an inspiration to me against this fight, glad I'm here.
    Hugs
    Sonia

    Adirondack foothills
    I was diagnosed 2/26/08 at age 51 with Stage IV colon cancer, extensive and inoperable mets to liver. Colon resection 3/08, gall bladder, ovaries also removed and HAI pump installed; 4 of 17 nodes tested microscopically positive for cancer. IROX 4/08 through 9/08 together with FUDR in pump. Liver resection 10/08. Teeny mets to lungs at first follow up CT scan 11/08. Xeloda 11/08 - 3/09. 3/09 Recurrence - single met in liver and possible bone mets. 3/09 back to irinotecan and FUDR; awaiting genetic testing for erbitux/vectibex. Current CEA of 3.6, from high of 6,955 last April.

    I live in north/central NY, in the Adirondack foothills. As you can understand from my pic of my daughters, despite the illness, I consider my life to be blessed.
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478
    Stage II
    DX July 2006 - Stage II Sigmod Colon; No Lymph nodes & No Mets
    Emergency Surgery - 10 July 06 (blockage)
    Port Surgery - Aug 06
    Hole in Lung - Aug 06
    Started FLOFOX - Aug 18, 06
    Quit Smoking - Oct 1 06
    Finished Chemo - Nov 06
    First CT Scan - Dec 06
    Resection Surgery - Feb 07
    NED - Since Dec 06

    Born and raised in Northern Virginia. Lived in Leesburg, Virginia for 20 years and moved to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (Charles Town) in 2004.
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    claud1951 said:

    When do you start?
    Hello all,

    I used to come here all the time when first Dx'd. This site really helped me with people answering my questions about chemo and what to expect. I would then try and help others with questions.

    Dx'd Nov 2006
    Stage III
    2/28 Lymph Node
    Surgery Feb 2007 Ascending colon
    Chemo May - Oct 2007

    I was actually told No Evidence of Diease in Dec. of 07 (when I had a colonosopy after chemo.

    BUT...are you NED after your surgery to remove the tumor or after chemo? I'm either NED 1 year or 2 years.

    Claudia
    Rensselaer , In (North West Indiana)

    Seriously?
    CLAUDIA!!!!!!!!! WE ARE PRACTICALLY NEIGHBORS!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Lowell, IN, straight up I-65 from you! lol

    We should meet for lunch sometime!

    Stacy
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller....
    Present and accounted for!!!!!!!!

    Living in Lowell, Indiana (about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL)
    Diagnosed @ age 33 with stage 4 with liver mets in Oct 2001.
    Chemo and raditaion prior to surgery, surgery Jan 22, 2002, more chemo til June 2002, reversed ileostomy Sept 13, 2002, been NED EVER SINCE, BABY!!!!!!!!!


    I love this post!
    I love that it's Friday!
    I love you, man!

    LMAO!

    Stacy

    P.S. And "No" I am not medicated, but maybe should be!!! I have been told that I have a touch of tourettes...no barking @ people, but tend to speak without much of a filter! lol
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    nudgie said:

    Stage II
    DX July 2006 - Stage II Sigmod Colon; No Lymph nodes & No Mets
    Emergency Surgery - 10 July 06 (blockage)
    Port Surgery - Aug 06
    Hole in Lung - Aug 06
    Started FLOFOX - Aug 18, 06
    Quit Smoking - Oct 1 06
    Finished Chemo - Nov 06
    First CT Scan - Dec 06
    Resection Surgery - Feb 07
    NED - Since Dec 06

    Born and raised in Northern Virginia. Lived in Leesburg, Virginia for 20 years and moved to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (Charles Town) in 2004.

    New York, New York
    After a routine colonoscopy,I was diagnosed with stage 1 colon cancer the day before Thanksgiving 2007. After surgery I found out it was bigger than they thought, penatrated colon wall and was in 6 out of 9 nodes,so I was now stage 3.I was ready to start chemo which was Folfox/ ox in Jan and I also had a pet/ct scan to see what was going on. Some nodes near my right kidney lit up, so my case was presented to a surgeon to see if it should be biopsied. It was to close to my aorta so it was decided that it was too dangerous to do anything,and they didn't add any different chemo. I finished 12 rounds of chemo in June 2009, and 2months later had another pet/ct scan. To my joy there was no sign of cancer, so I assumed I was NED. Six months later (which was 3wks ago)I had another scan.To my amazement the nodes near my kidney were there again, and once again I'm told it's too dangerous to biopsy. Right now we don't know if it's cancer or not, so I'm waiting 3 months and then I'll have a cat scan with contrast to see if anything has changed. If and when I know if it's cancer I'll have to go back to chemo. Right now it's just a waiting game, and I don't like this game at all! I also can't say I'm NED because I just don't know right now, but I'm planning on being able to say it real soon! Reading about all of you is an inspiration, you're all amazing!!!
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118

    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller....
    Present and accounted for!!!!!!!!

    Living in Lowell, Indiana (about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL)
    Diagnosed @ age 33 with stage 4 with liver mets in Oct 2001.
    Chemo and raditaion prior to surgery, surgery Jan 22, 2002, more chemo til June 2002, reversed ileostomy Sept 13, 2002, been NED EVER SINCE, BABY!!!!!!!!!


    I love this post!
    I love that it's Friday!
    I love you, man!

    LMAO!

    Stacy

    P.S. And "No" I am not medicated, but maybe should be!!! I have been told that I have a touch of tourettes...no barking @ people, but tend to speak without much of a filter! lol

    Talking without a filter
    Stacy, I have to tell you I am on meds and I still talk without a filter at times! I did it before meds and I still do it. I've also passed that on to my son who is now 32! Some people might think it's a bad thing,I don't. Good for you being NED, congratulations!!!