Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Weird night - I had a dream I was in pain but it was just a dream

EZLiving66
EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,476 **

Has this happened to any of you?  I woke up about 3:00 a.m. "thinking" I was in terrible pain.  My side of the bed is about four steps to our bathroom and I went in there to get some percoset.  But....when I got in there, there was no real pain at all.  I felt just fine!  I wiggled my arms and legs and moved around a bit and, nothing!

It was just so weird.  Tomorrow is day 5 after my first chemo and I have not had a single side effect (knocking on wood right now) except I notice my hair is starting to fall out.  I have long blonde hair so it would show up more than if I had short hair.  After I washed my hair last night, my brush was just full even though I carefully brushed it.  Other than that, no pain, nothing weird at all.  I've drank gallons of water and am in the bathroom about every 45 minutes.  I've upped my protein and lowered my simple carbs but other than that, have not changed anything.  

Phantom pain?  Power of suggestion?  Search me, but I hope it doesn't come back tonight!!

Take care,

Eldri

 

Comments

  • TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,801 **
    Eldri

    Nope, hasn't happened to me. My pain has been real.  LOL LOL LOL

    So glad to hear you are tolerating the chemo so well.  I hope and pray it continues to be that way for you all the way through.

    Your hair is falling out way sooner than mine started.  Mine was on day 16 if memory serves.... And, I am having the "next" round of shedding. My fuzz is falling out and I have about 3 eyelashes now.  Not many eyebrows either.

    Love and Hugs,

    Cindi

  • EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,476 **

    Eldri

    Nope, hasn't happened to me. My pain has been real.  LOL LOL LOL

    So glad to hear you are tolerating the chemo so well.  I hope and pray it continues to be that way for you all the way through.

    Your hair is falling out way sooner than mine started.  Mine was on day 16 if memory serves.... And, I am having the "next" round of shedding. My fuzz is falling out and I have about 3 eyelashes now.  Not many eyebrows either.

    Love and Hugs,

    Cindi

    I bet I'm noticing the hair

    I bet I'm noticing the hair loss because my hair is so long.  I've been braiding it so I don't have hair all over the place and on my clothes.  Our son's college honored him today at halftime at their football game for his awards from last spring's baseball.  I went along and walked through the rain to see him get the award and now I am totally beat!!  This sitting around all the time is really taking a tole on my stamina. I bet I sleep good tonight!!

     

    Take care,

    Eldri

  • Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644

    I bet I'm noticing the hair

    I bet I'm noticing the hair loss because my hair is so long.  I've been braiding it so I don't have hair all over the place and on my clothes.  Our son's college honored him today at halftime at their football game for his awards from last spring's baseball.  I went along and walked through the rain to see him get the award and now I am totally beat!!  This sitting around all the time is really taking a tole on my stamina. I bet I sleep good tonight!!

     

    Take care,

    Eldri

    Sometimes, I still find it hard to believe that I had

    cancer, a hysterectomy and chemo. Eldri and Cindi, it seemed that time stood still while I experienced chemo every 3 weeks times 6. But time finally moved on and the treatments have now become memories. These treatments will end-I promise!- and life will return to something more familiar if not with a different perception. You are both doing remarkably well in spite of this time being the most difficult physically and emotionally following surgery. I am wishing the very best for you two!

    Warm Wishes,

    Cathy

  • EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,476 **
    Abbycat2 said:

    Sometimes, I still find it hard to believe that I had

    cancer, a hysterectomy and chemo. Eldri and Cindi, it seemed that time stood still while I experienced chemo every 3 weeks times 6. But time finally moved on and the treatments have now become memories. These treatments will end-I promise!- and life will return to something more familiar if not with a different perception. You are both doing remarkably well in spite of this time being the most difficult physically and emotionally following surgery. I am wishing the very best for you two!

    Warm Wishes,

    Cathy

    Thank you, Cathy!

    It does seem like time has been distorted since I got this diagnosis in August.  I don't want to put my life on hold while I go through this but I also don't want to make any major decisions - even daily routine stuff at work.  It's kind of bizarre!

     

    Take care,

    Eldri

  • TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,801 **

    Thank you, Cathy!

    It does seem like time has been distorted since I got this diagnosis in August.  I don't want to put my life on hold while I go through this but I also don't want to make any major decisions - even daily routine stuff at work.  It's kind of bizarre!

     

    Take care,

    Eldri

    Agree!

    Eldri - I have learned that we just have to accept our limitations while we go through this. Stamina is out of my vocabulary. I celebrate the good days when I can do "stuff". And, even on those days, I have to rest in between my activities. I am counting the weeks until I'm done. Then, life can get back to my new normal. In the meantime, my treatments are the most important thing for me to do to get me to a point of continuing my happy life.

    Cathy - thanks for boost! We do need to meet someday sooner than later. :-)

    Love and Hugs,

    Cindi

  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    I experienced the same think-this is so weird

    Hi Eldri,   exactly one week ago during my sleep i felt a pain in my left arm and the left side of my chest.  It woke me up but immediately I fell back to sleep and when I woke up the next day I felt as though it was a dream.   But, funny enough, I felt sick all week as though I had some sort of a bug (7 days now and still feeling weird)  Did I have a pain, did I have a pain and passed out.  I really don't know but  I will check with my doctor this week.  Really I do hope we both had phantom pains and it is not an indication of something serious.  Take care of yourself and be well.

  • It happened to Me
    It happened to Me Member Posts: 206
    Abbycat2 said:

    Sometimes, I still find it hard to believe that I had

    cancer, a hysterectomy and chemo. Eldri and Cindi, it seemed that time stood still while I experienced chemo every 3 weeks times 6. But time finally moved on and the treatments have now become memories. These treatments will end-I promise!- and life will return to something more familiar if not with a different perception. You are both doing remarkably well in spite of this time being the most difficult physically and emotionally following surgery. I am wishing the very best for you two!

    Warm Wishes,

    Cathy

    Ditto for me.

    Cathy and I are pretty much on the same timeline and diagnosis and treatment.  She said it very well. 

    Jeanette

     

  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095
    Eldri

    Once upon a time, long, long, ago there was a thread on this board about very vivid dreams caused (?) by the chemo.  I couldn't find that thread, but I did have the vivid dreams that included some that  were  extremly painfull.  About a month after finishing chemo, the dreams stoped.  I did wake up a couple of times with my body, especially the hands and legs,  being  clinched so tightly that they went into spasms.  Especially the left side.  I was so ridgit that I had to pry open my left hand with my right and stayed sore for days after.  Really weird!  Debra

  • EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,476 **
    debrajo said:

    Eldri

    Once upon a time, long, long, ago there was a thread on this board about very vivid dreams caused (?) by the chemo.  I couldn't find that thread, but I did have the vivid dreams that included some that  were  extremly painfull.  About a month after finishing chemo, the dreams stoped.  I did wake up a couple of times with my body, especially the hands and legs,  being  clinched so tightly that they went into spasms.  Especially the left side.  I was so ridgit that I had to pry open my left hand with my right and stayed sore for days after.  Really weird!  Debra

    I keep dreaming about socks!

    I know this sounds nuts but most every night since I started chemo, sometime during that night I dream I've lost my socks.  I search and search and sometimes I'll find one but not a pair.  I'm sure this has some deep seated psychological reason but man, for the life of me, I can't figure it out.  I probably have 20 or 30 pairs of socks so it's not like I'm sock-deprived.

    I'm going to make myself a sign and put it on my nightstand -

    "Eldri, you have all kinds of pairs of socks.  Go back to sleep, girl!"

    Take care,

    Eldri

  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,059

    I keep dreaming about socks!

    I know this sounds nuts but most every night since I started chemo, sometime during that night I dream I've lost my socks.  I search and search and sometimes I'll find one but not a pair.  I'm sure this has some deep seated psychological reason but man, for the life of me, I can't figure it out.  I probably have 20 or 30 pairs of socks so it's not like I'm sock-deprived.

    I'm going to make myself a sign and put it on my nightstand -

    "Eldri, you have all kinds of pairs of socks.  Go back to sleep, girl!"

    Take care,

    Eldri

    Maybe your foot gets cold

    Maybe your foot gets cold when you are sleeping?   Maybe try to sleep with a very loose pair of those fuzzy socks.   I do sometimes even though I like my room cold at night

     

    ehen I was on chemo or right after I was done I felt my body regenerating.   It would wake me up.  Sort of felt like a shiver through my body. But was weird but then I realized i was actually cold

     

    and on a positive note if in your dreams you can tell me where the matches are to my lost socks I would greatly appreciate it.

  • AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364
    Kaleena said:

    Maybe your foot gets cold

    Maybe your foot gets cold when you are sleeping?   Maybe try to sleep with a very loose pair of those fuzzy socks.   I do sometimes even though I like my room cold at night

     

    ehen I was on chemo or right after I was done I felt my body regenerating.   It would wake me up.  Sort of felt like a shiver through my body. But was weird but then I realized i was actually cold

     

    and on a positive note if in your dreams you can tell me where the matches are to my lost socks I would greatly appreciate it.

    I have happy dreams

    Very detailed.  When I had my ureter stent replaced the other week I woke up to the recovery nurse asking me why I was smiling and I told her I was dreaming that I was riding Cisco.  I dream about swimming (I was a div. IA swimmer in college), yoga, skiing.  All activities I love and haven't been doing much of except the riDing.  I dream about my father too.  It is like he visits me.

    i will keep an eye out for the socks!  You girls crack me up.

    Anne

  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,059
    AWK said:

    I have happy dreams

    Very detailed.  When I had my ureter stent replaced the other week I woke up to the recovery nurse asking me why I was smiling and I told her I was dreaming that I was riding Cisco.  I dream about swimming (I was a div. IA swimmer in college), yoga, skiing.  All activities I love and haven't been doing much of except the riDing.  I dream about my father too.  It is like he visits me.

    i will keep an eye out for the socks!  You girls crack me up.

    Anne

    Anne:
    Regarding dreaming

    Anne:

    Regarding dreaming about your father.   I had a simiar dream too.   It was during a time when I was going through some stuff.   I felt like he wanted to hug me and felt comforted.   I suddently woke up and my arms were in the air and my back was off my bed as if reaching out.    When I looked up at the ceiling, my ceiling fan (5 paddle fan) was not moving but it was positioned liked a person reaching out.  It was odd but amazing at the same time.  I felt comforted.

     

    Love and prayers,

    Kathy

  • AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364
    Kaleena said:

    Anne:
    Regarding dreaming

    Anne:

    Regarding dreaming about your father.   I had a simiar dream too.   It was during a time when I was going through some stuff.   I felt like he wanted to hug me and felt comforted.   I suddently woke up and my arms were in the air and my back was off my bed as if reaching out.    When I looked up at the ceiling, my ceiling fan (5 paddle fan) was not moving but it was positioned liked a person reaching out.  It was odd but amazing at the same time.  I felt comforted.

     

    Love and prayers,

    Kathy

    I got chills reading this

    I swear there is a dent on the side of my bed sometimes where he was sitting talking to me just as we always chatted while I lived at home or visited.  I, too, find it very comforting.  My dad was a great guy and faced his cancer with peace and courage and grace.  I try to attain that in my journey too.

    hugs - Anne

  • molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    AWK said:

    I got chills reading this

    I swear there is a dent on the side of my bed sometimes where he was sitting talking to me just as we always chatted while I lived at home or visited.  I, too, find it very comforting.  My dad was a great guy and faced his cancer with peace and courage and grace.  I try to attain that in my journey too.

    hugs - Anne

    Now I know

    I will no longer wonder how you got to be so brave,I now know that it is not a fluke it is in your gene,Bless your dad,bless you.

    Moli.

  • molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514

    Eldri

    Nope, hasn't happened to me. My pain has been real.  LOL LOL LOL

    So glad to hear you are tolerating the chemo so well.  I hope and pray it continues to be that way for you all the way through.

    Your hair is falling out way sooner than mine started.  Mine was on day 16 if memory serves.... And, I am having the "next" round of shedding. My fuzz is falling out and I have about 3 eyelashes now.  Not many eyebrows either.

    Love and Hugs,

    Cindi

    LOL is exactly what I did.

    " My pain has been real" Too funny. Thank God we haven't all lost our sense of humor amidst the turmoil.

    Nuff soothing hugs just sent to you all, including our lucky sisters with the phantom kind. Moli

  • EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,476 **
    Kaleena said:

    Maybe your foot gets cold

    Maybe your foot gets cold when you are sleeping?   Maybe try to sleep with a very loose pair of those fuzzy socks.   I do sometimes even though I like my room cold at night

     

    ehen I was on chemo or right after I was done I felt my body regenerating.   It would wake me up.  Sort of felt like a shiver through my body. But was weird but then I realized i was actually cold

     

    and on a positive note if in your dreams you can tell me where the matches are to my lost socks I would greatly appreciate it.

    We are up here at our lake

    We are up here at our lake house this weekend and it's kind of cold.  I went into my husband's sock drawer and found a pair of hand knit wool socks.  I've been wearing them to bed and they're wonderful!  I'm taking them back with me!!!!  Now maybe I'll quite dreaming about socks.

     

    Take care,

    Eldri