1st post

Texasgranny38
Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
edited August 2015 in Kidney Cancer #1

Greetings!  Have been reading with great interest your posts on kidney cancer, but due to some glitch was unable to participate until I got assistance from CSN tech support.  

To introduce myself, I'm 76 and was diagnosed with a 5.3 cm left kidney tumor, no symptoms.  It turned out to be RCC with renal vein involvement which made it a stage T3a-N0-M0.  Underwent total resection of the left kidney via hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery at MDAnderson Cancer Center on 5/11/15.  Have felt really well, and was even given the go-ahead to travel 5 weeks later by air to Minneapolis to attend a Presbyterian Women's national conference, which I thought I had to cancel.  Was told to just not carry anything heavy and to move around on the plane when possible.  Had no problems whatsoever.  

I did have some tiny lung nodules which are being watched that may be from a respiratory illness I had last Nov-Dec.  Follow-up CT last week showed no change, so that's good news.  Everything looks good as of the 3-month check-up by my PCP, but will have the big one at 6 months by MDACC.  

I read some interesting stuff from all of you, and appreciate the reminders, such as - don't eat too much protein (I needed that) and drink lots of water, which I usually do, but at times forget.  But the best part is the encouragement that you share with one another.  Love that.  I don't worry about the future.  My faith and trust are in God.  I've already lived a long full life and am thankful.  I'm helping out with the care of two grandchildren, ages 4 and 17 months, part-time and they keep me active.  

Blessings,

Texas Granny

Comments

  • Welcome Texasgranny38. 

    Welcome Texasgranny38.  Sounds like you bounced back pretty quickly from surgery.  You have a wonderful perspective.  Nice to have you here.

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,359 Member

    Welcome Texasgranny38. 

    Welcome Texasgranny38.  Sounds like you bounced back pretty quickly from surgery.  You have a wonderful perspective.  Nice to have you here.

    Welcome Granny

    Granny,

    At 76 you are 4 years older than Donna Lee and myself although many of us are way ahead of you in the grandchildren department. Not fair having to go thru the neph. at your age, but it does beat the alternative. Stick around for awhile. My initiation was a lucky 13 years ago.

     

     

    Icemantoo

  • Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 993 Member
    icemantoo said:

    Welcome Granny

    Granny,

    At 76 you are 4 years older than Donna Lee and myself although many of us are way ahead of you in the grandchildren department. Not fair having to go thru the neph. at your age, but it does beat the alternative. Stick around for awhile. My initiation was a lucky 13 years ago.

     

     

    Icemantoo

    Welcome!
    You have a wonderful

    Welcome!

    You have a wonderful positive attitude and are very active, this is great! It plays a bid role both in surgery recovery and later on on staying NED and enjoying life!

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Welcome

    Welcome, Texas Granny!

    It sounds like you sailed through your experience! Glad to hear it went well.

    I, too, am stage 3...but not a Granny yet, unfortunately - except for my grandpuppy!

    Hugs

    Jojo

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Jojo61 said:

    Welcome

    Welcome, Texas Granny!

    It sounds like you sailed through your experience! Glad to hear it went well.

    I, too, am stage 3...but not a Granny yet, unfortunately - except for my grandpuppy!

    Hugs

    Jojo

    Welcome, Texas Granny. So

    Welcome, Texas Granny. So glad you're doing well and yes, I agree; you have a wonderful positive attitude. All the best to you!

    Jojo, that comment about the grandpuppy made me LOL for real :)

  • Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Warm welcome!

    Thank you all for your warm welcome to the site!

    I need to lose weight, not only  for the cancer diagnosis, but for my general health.  I have good nutrition overall but am lacking in exercise.  Checked out 2 gyms this weekend, and will most likely join the one that has the most low impact classes.  My goal is 40 pounds, but that seems so huge and am breaking it up into 10-pound segments.  Wish me luck!Texasgranny38

  • Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24

    Warm welcome!

    Thank you all for your warm welcome to the site!

    I need to lose weight, not only  for the cancer diagnosis, but for my general health.  I have good nutrition overall but am lacking in exercise.  Checked out 2 gyms this weekend, and will most likely join the one that has the most low impact classes.  My goal is 40 pounds, but that seems so huge and am breaking it up into 10-pound segments.  Wish me luck!Texasgranny38

    Problem with photo

    I think I finally got it!  Problem inserting profile photo.  

     

  • Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member

    Problem with photo

    I think I finally got it!  Problem inserting profile photo.  

     

    LUV your user name,
    LUV your user name, TexasGranny!! I am a grandma too! And your picture is great as well!!

    Now you are doing everything right. You may want to consider Weight Watchers as they have a point program (in stead of counting calories) and with exercise you can calculate your own program, including sweets if you like! And just plain old WALKING is good way to rev up that metabolism and its goof for mental health!

    Glad that things are doing well for your RCC diagnosis and follow up!

    Keep us informed on how you are doing if you like. And I bet you'd be
    great at supporting newcomers on here!

    Sending you a warm hug,
    Jan
  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,023 Member
    Jan4you said:

    LUV your user name,
    LUV your user name, TexasGranny!! I am a grandma too! And your picture is great as well!!

    Now you are doing everything right. You may want to consider Weight Watchers as they have a point program (in stead of counting calories) and with exercise you can calculate your own program, including sweets if you like! And just plain old WALKING is good way to rev up that metabolism and its goof for mental health!

    Glad that things are doing well for your RCC diagnosis and follow up!

    Keep us informed on how you are doing if you like. And I bet you'd be
    great at supporting newcomers on here!

    Sending you a warm hug,
    Jan

    Welcome aboard...

    And it ain't the Good Ship Lollipop.  Iceman spilled the beans about how old I am.  But the good part is-It's been 9+ years since first Dx and surgery.

    It sounds like you have good care at MDA and you are working toward a good recovery and test plan.  We couldn't ask for anything better.

    Those grands are pretty special.  I've been able to spend time with 3 of the 4 during the past couple of week-ends.  The oldest, at 19, works a swing shift at a manufacturing plant so he can return to college, so haven't seen him for a couple of months.  They keep you going and give you a true motivation to take care of yourself so you can watch them grow up.

    Enjoy. Love, Give Hugs. Be alive!

    Donna

  • Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Jan4you said:

    LUV your user name,
    LUV your user name, TexasGranny!! I am a grandma too! And your picture is great as well!!

    Now you are doing everything right. You may want to consider Weight Watchers as they have a point program (in stead of counting calories) and with exercise you can calculate your own program, including sweets if you like! And just plain old WALKING is good way to rev up that metabolism and its goof for mental health!

    Glad that things are doing well for your RCC diagnosis and follow up!

    Keep us informed on how you are doing if you like. And I bet you'd be
    great at supporting newcomers on here!

    Sending you a warm hug,
    Jan

    Weight Watchers

    You're right, Jan!  I think I need to go visit them.  I'm a lifetime member since the mid 70s, and have gone back a few times over the years.  

    A warm hug to you, too.

    Texas Granny

  • Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    donna_lee said:

    Welcome aboard...

    And it ain't the Good Ship Lollipop.  Iceman spilled the beans about how old I am.  But the good part is-It's been 9+ years since first Dx and surgery.

    It sounds like you have good care at MDA and you are working toward a good recovery and test plan.  We couldn't ask for anything better.

    Those grands are pretty special.  I've been able to spend time with 3 of the 4 during the past couple of week-ends.  The oldest, at 19, works a swing shift at a manufacturing plant so he can return to college, so haven't seen him for a couple of months.  They keep you going and give you a true motivation to take care of yourself so you can watch them grow up.

    Enjoy. Love, Give Hugs. Be alive!

    Donna

    Nine years!!

    So encouraging to know it's been 9 years since your diagnosis. 

    Yes, those grands are special.  I actually have 9, ranging from age 30 to age 1, and #10 grand is due on my birthday, Sept 18th.  Also have one great-grand, boy age 4.  My grandson, the oldest is an internal medicine resident physician, 3 granddaughters are teachers, 1 college senior, 1 college sophomore, 1 just started high school, and 1 today started pre-school.  Proud grandma, of course.

    Thanks for your kind words, Donna.

    Blessings,

    Texas Granny

  • Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member

    Weight Watchers

    You're right, Jan!  I think I need to go visit them.  I'm a lifetime member since the mid 70s, and have gone back a few times over the years.  

    A warm hug to you, too.

    Texas Granny

    Hi again, Texas Granny!
    I too

    Hi again, Texas Granny!

    I too have 9 grandkiddies from 23yo to 18months.
    They are all here, but don't see them as much as I want some times.
    I used to babysit, but cannot lift the little ones any more due to other
    medical conditions.

    Hope you are doing fine~
    Jan
  • Talmidah
    Talmidah Member Posts: 25
    Howdy from a Maryland granny

    Hello there.  Adding my welcome.  I am a relative newcomer as well (diagnosed in May) and 8 weeks post-partial nephrectomy.  You have come to the right place - we have wonderfully supportive members, who are full of wisdom and grace, even on their worst days.  Good luck with everything.

  • Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Talmidah said:

    Howdy from a Maryland granny

    Hello there.  Adding my welcome.  I am a relative newcomer as well (diagnosed in May) and 8 weeks post-partial nephrectomy.  You have come to the right place - we have wonderfully supportive members, who are full of wisdom and grace, even on their worst days.  Good luck with everything.

    Thanks for the welcome!

    I'm happy to be part of this encouraging group of folks.  I wish I lived closer to you and the DC people planning to get together.  

    Healing thoughts and prayers for you.

     

  • Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Jan4you said:

    LUV your user name,
    LUV your user name, TexasGranny!! I am a grandma too! And your picture is great as well!!

    Now you are doing everything right. You may want to consider Weight Watchers as they have a point program (in stead of counting calories) and with exercise you can calculate your own program, including sweets if you like! And just plain old WALKING is good way to rev up that metabolism and its goof for mental health!

    Glad that things are doing well for your RCC diagnosis and follow up!

    Keep us informed on how you are doing if you like. And I bet you'd be
    great at supporting newcomers on here!

    Sending you a warm hug,
    Jan

    WW

    Happy to share that I joined (or rejoined) Weight Watchers 2 days ago, plus joined LA Fitness and have attended 2 classes.  Forget Zumba for now - too intense, couldn't keep up.  Checking out yoga later today.  Love the WW point system for sure.  I plan to do some walking in the fall.  It's too hot now.  

     

    Hugs,

    Texas Granny