Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

LIVESTRONG at the YMCA

Rocquie
Rocquie Member Posts: 853 **

The LIVESTRONG program at the YMCA is a free 12-week program for cancer survivors designed to help build strength, endurance, self-esteem, deal with unwanted weight changes, encourage a healthy lifestyle, and more. I "graduated" from the program last week with much fanfare and celebration. 

I loved the program and it really did so much to help rebuild my confidence after 2 1/2 grueling years of treatment. In our group, we had six survivors and two instructors. Some were extroverts and some (like myself) introverts. But we all had something in common and it all worked out. The instructors were caring, loving, dedicated, positive, and encouraging. In fact, all the Y staff was so friendly and so nice, I felt like an honored guest to be there. 

Our program plan included cardio and strength machines, free weights, balance, TRX, water aerobics, yoga, and stretching. We had guest speakers, a physical therapist, a nutritionist, a survivor author, and a professor and researcher whose study is about how our breath and emotions are connected. 

And we had group discussions on subjects such as: what inspires you? what are your goals? what are you most thankful for? the hardest thing you have ever done? where do you find courage? the best thing to ever happen to you? purpose in your life? advice you would share with 5-year-old you? how do you want to be remembered? 

All of this was absolutely FREE! And it was so fun. 

I went ahead and joined the Y. The first time I went alone, I was peddling on the bicycle and thinking "This is not fun. I don't like this". But I pushed on through, did my strength training, and stretching. Afterwards I noticed that I felt great. So I will keep at it--it's a good thing.

If you have a Y in your area, I highly recommend you take advantage of LIVESTRONG. (I was on a wait list for about 6 months).

Hugs to all,

Rocquie

 

Comments

  • OO7
    OO7 Member Posts: 281
    Thanks for sharing!

    Sounds wonderful and will look into finding one near me.

    I had no idea that the YMC had Livestrong.  Thank you!

  • givingrace
    givingrace Member Posts: 161
    That's awesome Rocquie! 
    Very

    That's awesome Rocquie! 

    Very exciting and inspiring. I have finished the Treanda, Neulasta and Rituxan ride.  Started Rituxan maintenance( 2 years) about two treatments ago and I am ready to get my body moving again. I'm very stiff and sore but ready to fight the old cob webs off and shed some unwanted weight.  Great story for me to read. Thanks for sharing. 

    ~GG~

  • Jeff148
    Jeff148 Member Posts: 184
    Cool Program

    That is such a great program. It would have been nice to have support from other survivors. Nice work!!!

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Hey Rocquie

    That is cool and congratulations!  I recently joined the Y and saw something similar here.  I may look into it for myself.

    I haven't been on much lately - kind of living life and being busy in my own little world :).

     

    Hugs

     

  • Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 853 **
    OO7 said:

    Thanks for sharing!

    Sounds wonderful and will look into finding one near me.

    I had no idea that the YMC had Livestrong.  Thank you!

    007

    I am so thankful for this program. It is just what I needed.

    Cheers!

  • Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 853 **

    That's awesome Rocquie! 
    Very

    That's awesome Rocquie! 

    Very exciting and inspiring. I have finished the Treanda, Neulasta and Rituxan ride.  Started Rituxan maintenance( 2 years) about two treatments ago and I am ready to get my body moving again. I'm very stiff and sore but ready to fight the old cob webs off and shed some unwanted weight.  Great story for me to read. Thanks for sharing. 

    ~GG~

    Grace. . .

    GG, I have wondered how you were doing and so happy to hear from you. I am so thankful for the LiveStrong program at the Y. It got me motivated to start working out again. I don't know if I will ever be back to my physical self before cancer treatment. But I can tell I am getting stronger and beginning to rebuild some muscle. For this I am thankful. 

    Take care my friend and try not to be a stranger.

    Hugs,

    Rocquie

     

  • Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 853 **
    Jeff148 said:

    Cool Program

    That is such a great program. It would have been nice to have support from other survivors. Nice work!!!

    Jeff

    It is a very cool program and I am so thankful for it. I know you value the importance of physical fitness and exercise; it is one of the things I have always admired about you. You exercised all through chemo! I am so glad you are doing so well.

    Blessings,

    Rocquie

     

  • Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 853 **
    jimwins said:

    Hey Rocquie

    That is cool and congratulations!  I recently joined the Y and saw something similar here.  I may look into it for myself.

    I haven't been on much lately - kind of living life and being busy in my own little world :).

     

    Hugs

     

    Jim

    There you are, and so good to hear from you. Thank you for your reply. 

    I am happy to know you have joined the Y and are enjoying living life. One of the things I love about the Y is that they are so welcoming to everyone. I see every kind of person there, in every physical condition. I see people on walkers, leg braces, wheel chairs, every shape and color, and I see the gym bunny type and the beefy guys grunting and heaving in the weight lifting area. 

    (I even had a woman who is hearing impaired, cycling next to me, talking to herself in sign language. I am not making this up. I know your sense of humor, Jim. I am not tying to make fun of her. I talk to myself all the time.)

    How about this heat?!

    Hugs,

    Rocquie

     

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Rocquie said:

    Jim

    There you are, and so good to hear from you. Thank you for your reply. 

    I am happy to know you have joined the Y and are enjoying living life. One of the things I love about the Y is that they are so welcoming to everyone. I see every kind of person there, in every physical condition. I see people on walkers, leg braces, wheel chairs, every shape and color, and I see the gym bunny type and the beefy guys grunting and heaving in the weight lifting area. 

    (I even had a woman who is hearing impaired, cycling next to me, talking to herself in sign language. I am not making this up. I know your sense of humor, Jim. I am not tying to make fun of her. I talk to myself all the time.)

    How about this heat?!

    Hugs,

    Rocquie

     

    Hey There!

    I have been busy living life and am not on as often these days.   I know what you mean about the Y and I think it's pretty cool.  Not sure I'm a "Gym Bunny" - maybe I'm a "Gym Gerbil" ? ;).  Years ago I was pretty involved with the deaf community and deaf culture.  I learned alot and was well on my way to becoming fairly fluent in ASL (American Sign Language) but that was a long time ago.

    I'm glad it's finally cooled down a little.  Good to hear from you also.

    Hugs

    Jim

  • Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 853 **
    jimwins said:

    Hey There!

    I have been busy living life and am not on as often these days.   I know what you mean about the Y and I think it's pretty cool.  Not sure I'm a "Gym Bunny" - maybe I'm a "Gym Gerbil" ? ;).  Years ago I was pretty involved with the deaf community and deaf culture.  I learned alot and was well on my way to becoming fairly fluent in ASL (American Sign Language) but that was a long time ago.

    I'm glad it's finally cooled down a little.  Good to hear from you also.

    Hugs

    Jim

    It's always fun at the YMCA

    Jim, are you telling me you are not one of those beefy guys grunting and heaving in the weight lifting area? 

    My sign language skills amount to a vocabulary of about 25 words and greetings. But I have learned over the years that it is relatively easy to communicate with another person when you pay attention and have the desire. There are always the universal signs--OK, waving hello or goodbye, smiling, hand shake, high-five, (the bird), hugs. 

    My husband and I have talked about taking classes to learn ASL and we could practice together at home. The Chaplin at our Cancer Center used to be a minister at a hearing impaired church and delivered all his sermons in sign language. 

    The relief from the heat has been a blessing. Take care, my friend.

    Hugs,

    Rocquie