Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

2nd opinions

byebyecan
byebyecan Member Posts: 4

I have been diagnosed with Stage IV NSCL and they have been giving me tests for two weeks after biopsy and diagnosis.  Today they called and they said there are more spots they didn't notice under my arm pit and I need another biopsy.  I am confused, they have had these tests for two weeks and now when I am about to start treatments they say they have found something else suspicious.

 

I want to get a 2nd opininon because I feel someone dropped the ball.  Anyone out there have and wisdom they could share?  I am afraid of what will happen if I get 2nd opinion.

 

 

Comments

  • dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 842
    Second opinions

    By all means, do get a second opinion.  If you don't you may never develop the trust you need in your onco.  At the worst they see those spots to and recommend a course of treatment they believe will give you your best shot at life with good quality.  It's possible that they recommend the same course of treatment you are already scheduled to receive which may rebuild that trust or go to the new one.  If possible, get it done at a teaching hospital because they are more cutting edge on treatment as are the doctors at the hospitals that meet the rigorous standards set by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.  This list will guide you to both:

    http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/index.html

  • byebyecan
    byebyecan Member Posts: 4
    dennycee said:

    Second opinions

    By all means, do get a second opinion.  If you don't you may never develop the trust you need in your onco.  At the worst they see those spots to and recommend a course of treatment they believe will give you your best shot at life with good quality.  It's possible that they recommend the same course of treatment you are already scheduled to receive which may rebuild that trust or go to the new one.  If possible, get it done at a teaching hospital because they are more cutting edge on treatment as are the doctors at the hospitals that meet the rigorous standards set by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.  This list will guide you to both:

    http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/index.html

    Second Opinions

    Thanks dennycee.  I have looked at a lot of your post and it seems you are very experienced and knowledgeable.  I have had my new found places biopsied yesterday and will talk to a second opinion doctor Friday.  Really happy to get feedback.  I live in a town that all doctors know each other.  So I don't know how this will play out.  But the new doctor treated a friend of mine and was successful and watched her care.  I just didn't feel like this first doctor was really paying attention and I want to be confident in her.

    Also, thanks for the link, I live in Texas, so I could go to the Dallas Center for tests if this doesn't work.

    Thanks for your help!

     

  • dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 842
    byebyecan said:

    Second Opinions

    Thanks dennycee.  I have looked at a lot of your post and it seems you are very experienced and knowledgeable.  I have had my new found places biopsied yesterday and will talk to a second opinion doctor Friday.  Really happy to get feedback.  I live in a town that all doctors know each other.  So I don't know how this will play out.  But the new doctor treated a friend of mine and was successful and watched her care.  I just didn't feel like this first doctor was really paying attention and I want to be confident in her.

    Also, thanks for the link, I live in Texas, so I could go to the Dallas Center for tests if this doesn't work.

    Thanks for your help!

     

    Thank you
    1. Thanks for your kind words.   I'm sure that the new dr is a good choice and know that the drs are human, too.  the better ones understand that they can't be all things to all patients.  Please let us know the outcome of the biopsy. 
  • byebyecan
    byebyecan Member Posts: 4
    dennycee said:

    Thank you

    1. Thanks for your kind words.   I'm sure that the new dr is a good choice and know that the drs are human, too.  the better ones understand that they can't be all things to all patients.  Please let us know the outcome of the biopsy. 
    Praise the Lord!

    My new places are benign.  Doc visit went well today with first doctor. She explained that the radiologist missed the new spots under my arm.  Of course you can always think more clearly and positively when things are benign.  I am supposed to start radiation next week and chemo with her.  I am consulting with the new doctor tomorrow.  So I will have a chance to think on things before starting treatment.  I am anxious to start treatment and FIGHT!