Just diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer

24

Comments

  • Dustan
    Dustan Member Posts: 6

    Stage 3c Colorectal Cancer Survivor

    I was diagnosed with Stage 3c Colorectal Cancer in July 2011. I had surgery in August to remove about a foot of my colon. I finished 6 months of Folfox chemo a year ago. I have had several CT scans, two colonoscopys and alot of bloodwork since and as of today am totally cancer free! BELIEVE that you too will survive this! I know you are scared! I was too and there were days when I would get discouraged and think I couldn't take one more day. But I am here to tell you that YOU CAN DO IT!!! Focus on the positive things in your life. Surround yourself with people you love and with activities that lift your spirits. Keep your mind occupied with pleasant things. Don't allow yourself too much time to sit and think. For me the thing that kept me strongest was my faith in God. I will be praying for you. If you have any questions or need some advice as you go through this journey, don't hesitate to ask! I will be happy to help any way I can. Don't ever forget, YOU CAN DO THIS! Just BELIEVE!

    Great advice
    Tammy that is great advice you have given. My wife was dx nov 12 stage3c 8/19 nodes and just completed 6 rounds of folfox . Her white cells are down and she is feeling weak and fatigue. Any advice on keep keep your Whites high?
  • Dan46
    Dan46 Member Posts: 6
    I too was recently diagnosed

    I too was recently diagnosed Stage 3 T2N1 and had about a foot of my colon removed on 2/19/13. I began Xeloda this morning very scared as well. Being new to this the only thing I have found to help with all the reading on the internet is I stay away from older material,  there have ben many positive changes in the last 10 years. The other thing my Dr. told me about stage 3 survivor stories is that they (we) are active initially then as we get better and recieve clear scans we fall off these message/support boards and get on with our lives. So it is a little harder to find stage 3 survivor stories. 

  • mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    Dan46 said:

    I too was recently diagnosed

    I too was recently diagnosed Stage 3 T2N1 and had about a foot of my colon removed on 2/19/13. I began Xeloda this morning very scared as well. Being new to this the only thing I have found to help with all the reading on the internet is I stay away from older material,  there have ben many positive changes in the last 10 years. The other thing my Dr. told me about stage 3 survivor stories is that they (we) are active initially then as we get better and recieve clear scans we fall off these message/support boards and get on with our lives. So it is a little harder to find stage 3 survivor stories. 

    Stage 3C

    Dan46,

    I just wanted to chime in on your comment about stage 3 survivor stories.  I was diagnosed in Oct. 2004 with Stage 3C at age 44.  No family history, not even any symptoms to speak of.  Had a colectomy (about 1/3 of my colon removed) and doctors found 13 of 19 positive lymph nodes.  Went through 6 months of chemotherapy.  It has been almost 9 years - all of my checkups have been clear.  I was on this site often, and found lots of informative posts and wonderful support.  I strayed away, and haven't been on here in awhile.  I'm definitely one of those stage 3 survivors who "fell off the message board".  Please everyone, keep your spirits high.  There are success stories out there.

  • Deena11
    Deena11 Member Posts: 199
    mk1117 said:

    Stage 3C

    Dan46,

    I just wanted to chime in on your comment about stage 3 survivor stories.  I was diagnosed in Oct. 2004 with Stage 3C at age 44.  No family history, not even any symptoms to speak of.  Had a colectomy (about 1/3 of my colon removed) and doctors found 13 of 19 positive lymph nodes.  Went through 6 months of chemotherapy.  It has been almost 9 years - all of my checkups have been clear.  I was on this site often, and found lots of informative posts and wonderful support.  I strayed away, and haven't been on here in awhile.  I'm definitely one of those stage 3 survivors who "fell off the message board".  Please everyone, keep your spirits high.  There are success stories out there.

    Thanks!!

    Thanks so much for posting your success story.  I've only been out of chemo since September and have been so scared of a recurrence or some kind of new cancer.  It is so good to hear these kind of positive stories.

  • JTL52
    JTL52 Member Posts: 16
    KayeKay said:

    Olah!

    Dx stage 4 in Feb 2011. Rediagnosed again last month. This is beatable and u will find lots of support on here. Sometimes I just read some of the discussions to read the positive support people give to one another on here when I'm down. Any ?s or just wanna chat feel free to do it cause I along with the others here will give u lots of support. Its the colon canccerworld in here. I enjoy coming here to know that I am not alone and NEITHER R U!  :)

    Stage III survivors

    Hi,

    I am one of those stage III who are no longer active on this board.

    I was diagnosed Aug 2005, went through 6 months FOLFOX while working full time.

    I have been cancer free since surgery. I have some numbness on the bottom of my toes, but all else is good.

    I will agree alot of the stage three survivors drift away from the boards as they get back to a daily life that is not longer centered on cancer.

    Good Luck, the chemo is not easy but it is do able, I needed more sleep as I went through treatment so I would say nuropathy and fatigue were my worst symptoms from chemo.

    Janet

  • RalphD
    RalphD Member Posts: 2
    Coming up to my one year mark

    Hello everyone, i am now 9 months after my surgery and chemo rounds. i had stage 3 type c cancer 12-1/2" of colon removed, just had my port removed a month ago, thank god i hated that thing. The first thing is keep a positive attitude during your treatment and life does go on after chemo.. there are lots of things no one ever tells you about. Apples helped me cut through the metal taste in my mouth. personal hygiene biotene tooth paste helped with the dry mouth and i had no sores in my mouth.Watch out for any skin products that have alcohol in them.. this will fast track in the dryness of your skin. some of the other things that helped me was starburst candy when you have your port flushed, and exercise as much as you can during chemo. its tough but just walking down the street and back helps keep up your strength, cold effects do stink warm everything,, being from the northeast and going through this during the winter was not fun. Good Luck and god speed with your recovery

    Ralph D

  • EvaT31
    EvaT31 Member Posts: 2
    Hi im a stage 3 survivor-

    Hi im a stage 3 survivor- diagnosed in 09/2012 had 14 inches of my colon removed and 4 out of 27 lymphnodes involved- started chemo in november until march 2013- ct/pet scan in march- so far all clear, scans and blood work in June- it is doable,just hang in there

  • EvaT31
    EvaT31 Member Posts: 2
    Hi im a stage 3 survivor-

    Hi im a stage 3 survivor- diagnosed in 09/2012 had 14 inches of my colon removed and 4 out of 27 lymphnodes involved- started chemo in november until march 2013- ct/pet scan in march- so far all clear, scans and blood work in June- it is doable,just hang in there

  • mdove315
    mdove315 Member Posts: 1

    Your responses

    Thank You all for your responses.  My chemo drugs are going to be FU-5 and Eloxitin.  I live in Port Charlotte Fl andamazing they only have a support group for Spanish Speaking people.  The other closest group is in Venice FL and everyone is in their 80's.  I can't imagine.. I am the youngest in my area... LOL

    I did read on one pamplet for the drugs not to drink anything cold before or after chemo but the other drugs saysto put ice chips, popsicle or something cold in your mouth during treatment to help prevent the mouth sores.  Any advice on this?

    Kathy= aka Littlethings

    Stay Positive!

    Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash helped, but once I got sores, I was given a prescription for Viscous Lidocaine and while it tastes TERRIBLE, it offered great relief!  I totally agree with the other poster about having a positive attitude. I found there were a few negative people in the "chair room", if I couldn't get their attitude turned around I would put on a headset and listen to my favorite music to tune them out. Best to you!

     

    Mike

  • Deena11
    Deena11 Member Posts: 199
    Thanks to all

    Again...thanks for those sharing their survival stories.  I have my blood tests tomorrow and I have been worried about recurrence or a new cancer.  I LOVE to hear the positive stories. 

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,643 Member
    mk1117 said:

    Stage 3C

    Dan46,

    I just wanted to chime in on your comment about stage 3 survivor stories.  I was diagnosed in Oct. 2004 with Stage 3C at age 44.  No family history, not even any symptoms to speak of.  Had a colectomy (about 1/3 of my colon removed) and doctors found 13 of 19 positive lymph nodes.  Went through 6 months of chemotherapy.  It has been almost 9 years - all of my checkups have been clear.  I was on this site often, and found lots of informative posts and wonderful support.  I strayed away, and haven't been on here in awhile.  I'm definitely one of those stage 3 survivors who "fell off the message board".  Please everyone, keep your spirits high.  There are success stories out there.

    Thank you!

    Thank you! Thank you!

    Thank you for coming back on the forum to share your WONDERFUL story. I'm having one of the worst 'bad days', I am very emotional. So your story has lifted my spirits. 

    God bless!

  • mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    This is a great site for new

    This is a great site for new survivors - there is so much support and wonderful information. I was diagnosed almost 9 years ago with late stage III colon cancer. Had surgery to remove 1/3 of my colan, then 6 months of chemo. All of my scans and tests have been clear since. I'm not on here often, but it was a lifesaver for me for the first 3-4 years following my diagnosis. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong. If there are any questions I can help you with, please let me know. Take care.

  • Deena11
    Deena11 Member Posts: 199
    Great to hear

    I am glad to hear the happy, positive stories.  Had my CEA test on Friday and I am expecting the results back tomorrow.  My fingers are crossed that I have good numbers.

  • CDouglass
    CDouglass Member Posts: 2
    Stage IIIc

    I was diagnosed this past November. I have 3 more treatments left. Each treatment seems to have its own little problems. My first treatmentI had severe diarhea and I ended up losing 14 pounds. The oncologist gave me a medicine which was like Super Imodium and that problem mostly went away. My second treatment I suffered severe nausea but the meds worked in treating it. Other treatments would alternate as to which side effect was worst; neuropathy, nausea. fatigue, headaches.

    During my 6th treatment, I had a reaction to the oxaliplatin 5 minutes into the infusion. I became short of breath, my hands and feet began to itch, I was vomiting, and the nurse said my face got as red as a tomato. They gave me Benadryl and something else which basically knocked me out until the treatment was almost done. My 7th treatment was similar as a had another reaction; this time not as severe as they had given me Benadryl in advance to prevent a reaction. They stopped using the oxaliplatin on me. Now cold drinks no longer bother me but I still have severe neuropathy in the hands and legs.

     

    This past treatment, my 9th, was better but the nausea was back as they added more 5FU (a bollus? I believe they called it) to the treatment in place of the oxaliplatin. I go for treatment number 10 this Wednesday and I am hoping to return to work finally next week.

  • LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    CDouglass said:

    Stage IIIc

    I was diagnosed this past November. I have 3 more treatments left. Each treatment seems to have its own little problems. My first treatmentI had severe diarhea and I ended up losing 14 pounds. The oncologist gave me a medicine which was like Super Imodium and that problem mostly went away. My second treatment I suffered severe nausea but the meds worked in treating it. Other treatments would alternate as to which side effect was worst; neuropathy, nausea. fatigue, headaches.

    During my 6th treatment, I had a reaction to the oxaliplatin 5 minutes into the infusion. I became short of breath, my hands and feet began to itch, I was vomiting, and the nurse said my face got as red as a tomato. They gave me Benadryl and something else which basically knocked me out until the treatment was almost done. My 7th treatment was similar as a had another reaction; this time not as severe as they had given me Benadryl in advance to prevent a reaction. They stopped using the oxaliplatin on me. Now cold drinks no longer bother me but I still have severe neuropathy in the hands and legs.

     

    This past treatment, my 9th, was better but the nausea was back as they added more 5FU (a bollus? I believe they called it) to the treatment in place of the oxaliplatin. I go for treatment number 10 this Wednesday and I am hoping to return to work finally next week.

    Oxaliplatin reaction

    Hello, my husband is about halfway through his Folfox regimen and has had some side effects also.  He ended up back in the hospital after treatment 5 with a small bowel obstruction.  They think it was from the cumulative constipation he has had and possibly scar tissue from his surgery compressing the bowel.  It corrected itself without further surgery, but we were worried it was more cancer. 

    I'm surprised to read they continued giving you the oxaliplatin with such severe side effects.  My husband's last treatment and the next one are and will be 5FU only (with Lucavorin administered at the oncology center).  They also give him a bolus of the 5FU through his port before the pump gets hooked up.  They said it just gives the drug an extra push, not really sure what it does or why it helps.  He often has a flushed feeling during this.  We are trying to stay on top of the constipation and most likely he is done with the oxaliplatin.  He has not had continued neuropathy so that's one good thing.

    He's getting pretty down about the treatment.  The plan now is week to week, so we don't have that "end date" like we used to have.  It was kind of our pot of gold.  The cumulative fatigue is getting to him.  Spring has been late blooming here in western NY but I'm hoping once we can get outside more, it will lift his mood.

    Good luck with your last 3 treatments, hopefully we'll all be on the other side of this soon!

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,643 Member
    Dustan said:

    Great advice
    Tammy that is great advice you have given. My wife was dx nov 12 stage3c 8/19 nodes and just completed 6 rounds of folfox . Her white cells are down and she is feeling weak and fatigue. Any advice on keep keep your Whites high?

    Low WBC

    I too had low WBC, and they had to cancel my chemo session Frown.

    Since then, I have to go in to the hospial the week after my chemo, for five days of Neupogen shots.  Now my WBC is up to scratch.  Unfotunately now I have low platelets Sealed.

  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071
    Oohh I want to hug those of you going through this

    I was stage 3, 10/11 lymph nodes infected

    4 years on providing my scan is ok, I am still in remission.

    It is a nightmare but there is light at the end of the tunnel, although it might look a million miles away

     

     

  • sheilad4
    sheilad4 Member Posts: 3
    hi

    i can give you something positive my dad was diagnosed with colon rectal cancer over 3 yrs ago God healed him youll be just fine keep ure faith in jesus

  • renw
    renw Member Posts: 282
    LindaK. said:

    Oxaliplatin reaction

    Hello, my husband is about halfway through his Folfox regimen and has had some side effects also.  He ended up back in the hospital after treatment 5 with a small bowel obstruction.  They think it was from the cumulative constipation he has had and possibly scar tissue from his surgery compressing the bowel.  It corrected itself without further surgery, but we were worried it was more cancer. 

    I'm surprised to read they continued giving you the oxaliplatin with such severe side effects.  My husband's last treatment and the next one are and will be 5FU only (with Lucavorin administered at the oncology center).  They also give him a bolus of the 5FU through his port before the pump gets hooked up.  They said it just gives the drug an extra push, not really sure what it does or why it helps.  He often has a flushed feeling during this.  We are trying to stay on top of the constipation and most likely he is done with the oxaliplatin.  He has not had continued neuropathy so that's one good thing.

    He's getting pretty down about the treatment.  The plan now is week to week, so we don't have that "end date" like we used to have.  It was kind of our pot of gold.  The cumulative fatigue is getting to him.  Spring has been late blooming here in western NY but I'm hoping once we can get outside more, it will lift his mood.

    Good luck with your last 3 treatments, hopefully we'll all be on the other side of this soon!

    Constipation is caused mostly

    Constipation is caused mostly by Leucavorin. Leucavorin slows the bowels down and is the main culprit.

    Ren

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,643 Member
    sheilad4 said:

    hi

    i can give you something positive my dad was diagnosed with colon rectal cancer over 3 yrs ago God healed him youll be just fine keep ure faith in jesus

    All areas help

    Faith in God or other Gods can heal, along with conventional meds, alternative meds and a HEALTHY diet and EXERCISE.