Recurrent cervical cancer

So...1 year post hysterectomy for 2A adenosquamous carcinoma of the cervix with pelvic lymp mets, 6 months post treatment with chemo, chemo/radiation and more chemo, and a ct scan revealed a new 1.7 cm soft tissue mass is the anterior pelvis. Pet/ct coming soon. I'm so sad.
«134

Comments

  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095
    So very sorry ccfighter!
    So very sorry ccfighter! Maybe it is contained and the can radiate it. What are the dr.'s saying? Do you have a plain of action yet? Wishing you the best...it's almost Christmas, the time for miracles! best, debrajo
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    debrajo said:

    So very sorry ccfighter!
    So very sorry ccfighter! Maybe it is contained and the can radiate it. What are the dr.'s saying? Do you have a plain of action yet? Wishing you the best...it's almost Christmas, the time for miracles! best, debrajo

    Already radiated my pelvis
    Already radiated my pelvis so that would not be an option. My doctor is waiting for the pet/ct results before suggesting a plan. I really hope nothing else comes up.
  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095
    ccfighter said:

    Already radiated my pelvis
    Already radiated my pelvis so that would not be an option. My doctor is waiting for the pet/ct results before suggesting a plan. I really hope nothing else comes up.

    Let us know the results of
    Let us know the results of the scan. I know it's right, but I absolutely hate the stay positive speech. I'm more the "Scarlett O'Hara" type,.....I'll think about it tomorrow..or the next day,ect.! Best, debrajo
  • kimmiehedg
    kimmiehedg Member Posts: 27
    I'm sad for you and I know
    I'm sad for you and I know how you feel. I am 8 mnts post hyst with same cancer and 6 weeks after my last chemo found 2 enlarged nodes in pelvise (2cm each. Having surgery on 12/10 and will shoot the areas with high does radiation (since I already had radiation as well). I'm so sad to hear you are going through the similiar thing. After my diagnosis, I decided my family needed a break from reality and we just returned from a cruise. I didnt feel that well during but it was nice to escape for awhile.
    PLeae keep me posted on the next step.
    Also, do you have any side effects from the radiation? Like, moderate to severe cramping (feels like bad menstraul cramps)?
    As always, you are in my prayers ccfighter.................hang tough!
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476

    I'm sad for you and I know
    I'm sad for you and I know how you feel. I am 8 mnts post hyst with same cancer and 6 weeks after my last chemo found 2 enlarged nodes in pelvise (2cm each. Having surgery on 12/10 and will shoot the areas with high does radiation (since I already had radiation as well). I'm so sad to hear you are going through the similiar thing. After my diagnosis, I decided my family needed a break from reality and we just returned from a cruise. I didnt feel that well during but it was nice to escape for awhile.
    PLeae keep me posted on the next step.
    Also, do you have any side effects from the radiation? Like, moderate to severe cramping (feels like bad menstraul cramps)?
    As always, you are in my prayers ccfighter.................hang tough!

    Kimmiehedg,Thanks for the
    Kimmiehedg,
    Thanks for the comments. I feel like crap. I have no pain, I have no cramps, I have no discharge. What I have is severe fatigue that has come on in the past few weeks, as well as feeling as if I have a fever but dont. My eyes burn and my chest is heavy and I dont feel like doing anything. Im anxious and naseaus and dont want to eat. I just passed my 1 year hysterversary. I wasnt having any symptoms really to warrent a CT but requested one on account of it having been 4 months since my last PET/CT and I came down with a weird 48 hour fever with vomiting. I was worried and asked for a CT of the abdomen and pelvis. Appears I have a 1.7 cm soft mass in the center of my pelvis, I guess somewhere near my bladder. Im so bummed out. Guess its time to kick some more cancer a$$. I just feel so weak right now I cant imagine this upcoming battle.
    I pray for you as well kimmiehedg, and the rest on this journey. Good luck on your surgery and let me know how it goes. I will stay in touch.
  • kimmiehedg
    kimmiehedg Member Posts: 27
    ccfighter said:

    Kimmiehedg,Thanks for the
    Kimmiehedg,
    Thanks for the comments. I feel like crap. I have no pain, I have no cramps, I have no discharge. What I have is severe fatigue that has come on in the past few weeks, as well as feeling as if I have a fever but dont. My eyes burn and my chest is heavy and I dont feel like doing anything. Im anxious and naseaus and dont want to eat. I just passed my 1 year hysterversary. I wasnt having any symptoms really to warrent a CT but requested one on account of it having been 4 months since my last PET/CT and I came down with a weird 48 hour fever with vomiting. I was worried and asked for a CT of the abdomen and pelvis. Appears I have a 1.7 cm soft mass in the center of my pelvis, I guess somewhere near my bladder. Im so bummed out. Guess its time to kick some more cancer a$$. I just feel so weak right now I cant imagine this upcoming battle.
    I pray for you as well kimmiehedg, and the rest on this journey. Good luck on your surgery and let me know how it goes. I will stay in touch.

    When are you supposed to
    When are you supposed to hear something? I know this new battle seems almost impossible but you are strong and will find the strength to fight. Have you ever heard of the macrobotic diet? My sister has been doing some research (plus a nieghbor of a friend had stage 4 brain cancer and has been doing this diet for 4 years now!). Anyway, I heard a story of a woman who lives a few towns from me and she was very sick. Doctors said there was nothing they could do for her and she was grossly underweight. She started this diet and one year later has no cancer in her body. I'm not sure how true it all is but I'm willing to give it a try. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along. I hope you start feeling better soon. Keep me posted!
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476

    When are you supposed to
    When are you supposed to hear something? I know this new battle seems almost impossible but you are strong and will find the strength to fight. Have you ever heard of the macrobotic diet? My sister has been doing some research (plus a nieghbor of a friend had stage 4 brain cancer and has been doing this diet for 4 years now!). Anyway, I heard a story of a woman who lives a few towns from me and she was very sick. Doctors said there was nothing they could do for her and she was grossly underweight. She started this diet and one year later has no cancer in her body. I'm not sure how true it all is but I'm willing to give it a try. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along. I hope you start feeling better soon. Keep me posted!

    Hi Kimmie,
    Yes I have heard

    Hi Kimmie,
    Yes I have heard of it. When I was diagnosed my family went out and bought all sorts of books. But...my cousins husband was diagnosed with stage 4 melenoma about 5 years ago. He had no symptoms until he began vomiting and they took him to the ER. Found a tumor on the brain. Did surgery and removed it. They could never find the original source. But, he started on the macrobiotic diet while doing chemo, radiation and immune therapy as well. He died within a year. 10 years earlier he had been diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma and beat that. I really wish that diet would do the trick, and I am sure that it does help to some small degree. But if that were the answer there wouldnt be so many people wandering around dying of cancer. Sometimes it is all a matter of what we "believe" in, as I believe the mind has greater controll over the cells in our body than the food we eat does. Then again, I never wanted this, and no matter how hard I try to "believe" it way, it does not go. Still, I pray cry and eat. I was a vegetarian since I was 14, ate almost all fresh veggies, fruit and whole grains. I still got this cancer. Now...Ive decided I like cheeseburgers and eat them when ever I want to. Lifes too short. Do what you love and love what you do.Believe in life and open your arms to embrace all the positive energy out there. That is all I know to do.
    I should find something out Wednesday or Thursday. My oncologist was supposed to look over my CT images and give me her impression and the PET/CT is scheduled for Wednesday morning which means my doctor should have it but that afternoon or Thursday. The stress of all this is probably just as toxic as the cancer. If by some small grace of God this is not a recurrence, then I need to find someone to figure out what is wrong with me because I can hardley keep my eyes open to type this.
    I know that your surgery will go smoothly and you will get positive results. Im sure it will be much easier than the hysterectomy. That surgery really knocked me down. That really hurt. I was unprepared for the recovery. Are they doing yours laproscopically or with open incision? I hope you are well.
  • kimmiehedg
    kimmiehedg Member Posts: 27
    ccfighter said:

    Hi Kimmie,
    Yes I have heard

    Hi Kimmie,
    Yes I have heard of it. When I was diagnosed my family went out and bought all sorts of books. But...my cousins husband was diagnosed with stage 4 melenoma about 5 years ago. He had no symptoms until he began vomiting and they took him to the ER. Found a tumor on the brain. Did surgery and removed it. They could never find the original source. But, he started on the macrobiotic diet while doing chemo, radiation and immune therapy as well. He died within a year. 10 years earlier he had been diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma and beat that. I really wish that diet would do the trick, and I am sure that it does help to some small degree. But if that were the answer there wouldnt be so many people wandering around dying of cancer. Sometimes it is all a matter of what we "believe" in, as I believe the mind has greater controll over the cells in our body than the food we eat does. Then again, I never wanted this, and no matter how hard I try to "believe" it way, it does not go. Still, I pray cry and eat. I was a vegetarian since I was 14, ate almost all fresh veggies, fruit and whole grains. I still got this cancer. Now...Ive decided I like cheeseburgers and eat them when ever I want to. Lifes too short. Do what you love and love what you do.Believe in life and open your arms to embrace all the positive energy out there. That is all I know to do.
    I should find something out Wednesday or Thursday. My oncologist was supposed to look over my CT images and give me her impression and the PET/CT is scheduled for Wednesday morning which means my doctor should have it but that afternoon or Thursday. The stress of all this is probably just as toxic as the cancer. If by some small grace of God this is not a recurrence, then I need to find someone to figure out what is wrong with me because I can hardley keep my eyes open to type this.
    I know that your surgery will go smoothly and you will get positive results. Im sure it will be much easier than the hysterectomy. That surgery really knocked me down. That really hurt. I was unprepared for the recovery. Are they doing yours laproscopically or with open incision? I hope you are well.

    I also believe the mind
    I also believe the mind plays a very important role as well. I was doing accupuncture duting my radiation treatments and that did seem to help out. I think I will start that again as well. Who knows if all these things really work but I feel like I have to everything I can for my kids.
    My sirgery will be an open incision as my doctor needs to really get in ther and move my intenstines and bowels out of the way when they shoot the radiation in the area where the toxic nodes were. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as the hysterectomy.....as that really knocked me down as well.
    You are right about the stress being just as toxic. My doctors tell me knot to worry but how can you not?
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476

    I also believe the mind
    I also believe the mind plays a very important role as well. I was doing accupuncture duting my radiation treatments and that did seem to help out. I think I will start that again as well. Who knows if all these things really work but I feel like I have to everything I can for my kids.
    My sirgery will be an open incision as my doctor needs to really get in ther and move my intenstines and bowels out of the way when they shoot the radiation in the area where the toxic nodes were. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as the hysterectomy.....as that really knocked me down as well.
    You are right about the stress being just as toxic. My doctors tell me knot to worry but how can you not?

    Yes, everything we can for
    Yes, everything we can for the kids. I feel the same way.
    So you are having radiation during surgery?! I have seen commercials for the Cancer Centers for America where they advertise that. How interesting. I really hope that this goes well for you. I hope that this is all that is necessary and no more extra chemo to follow. I really think that your prognosis is very good with limited recurrence to lymph nodes and nothing else. Please let me know how it all goes. I will be praying for you.
  • kimmiehedg
    kimmiehedg Member Posts: 27
    ccfighter said:

    Yes, everything we can for
    Yes, everything we can for the kids. I feel the same way.
    So you are having radiation during surgery?! I have seen commercials for the Cancer Centers for America where they advertise that. How interesting. I really hope that this goes well for you. I hope that this is all that is necessary and no more extra chemo to follow. I really think that your prognosis is very good with limited recurrence to lymph nodes and nothing else. Please let me know how it all goes. I will be praying for you.

    test results for ccfighter
    so, what's the good word???? I was just released from the hospital last night. I went in tues because that cramping I've been having for several weeks got so bad that even the 10mg of oxycodone and 4 motrin was doing nothing. turns out the tumor n pelvis grow some and was resting up against my ureter and was kinking it up so that my kideny was backing up and losing function. I had a sent put in throught my back......yikes did that hurt......now I have a bag indefinitely. But hey, let that be the worst thing I have to deal with! I am going in Monday for surgery and will be in the hospital all week but I will be checking in to see how you are.

    Fingers crossed for you...
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476

    test results for ccfighter
    so, what's the good word???? I was just released from the hospital last night. I went in tues because that cramping I've been having for several weeks got so bad that even the 10mg of oxycodone and 4 motrin was doing nothing. turns out the tumor n pelvis grow some and was resting up against my ureter and was kinking it up so that my kideny was backing up and losing function. I had a sent put in throught my back......yikes did that hurt......now I have a bag indefinitely. But hey, let that be the worst thing I have to deal with! I am going in Monday for surgery and will be in the hospital all week but I will be checking in to see how you are.

    Fingers crossed for you...

    Thank you kimmie for
    Thank you kimmie for thinking of me. I still have not heard anything on my pet/ct. I am so mad. I had it done on Wednesday and they told me the results would be at my doctors by Thursday. I called all day and they kept telling me the results are not in. My oncologist was not in the office on Friday and so I have suffered through the weekend with no news and I still feel terrible. I can't even be sure if it is cancer related or something else. My eyes burn and ache and it drags me down. Still no pain anywhere else. I'm so frustrated.

    I'm sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain. I hope the stent eased that up for you and you will be comfortable until surgery. Are they only removing the lymph nodes or are they going to be more aggressive? I hope that it all goes smoothly and that this will be the last time you have to deal with this ugly beast called cancer. Praying for you. I will post my results as soon as I get them. Probably tomorrow. HUGS!
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476

    test results for ccfighter
    so, what's the good word???? I was just released from the hospital last night. I went in tues because that cramping I've been having for several weeks got so bad that even the 10mg of oxycodone and 4 motrin was doing nothing. turns out the tumor n pelvis grow some and was resting up against my ureter and was kinking it up so that my kideny was backing up and losing function. I had a sent put in throught my back......yikes did that hurt......now I have a bag indefinitely. But hey, let that be the worst thing I have to deal with! I am going in Monday for surgery and will be in the hospital all week but I will be checking in to see how you are.

    Fingers crossed for you...

    So the results are in and
    So the results are in and not good. Lung nodule grown and sub uptake increased and pelvic mass glowing so, stage 4B with little hope. Going to schedule surgery on the, lung and pelvis to follow. So upset. Can't stop crying.
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    ccfighter said:

    So the results are in and
    So the results are in and not good. Lung nodule grown and sub uptake increased and pelvic mass glowing so, stage 4B with little hope. Going to schedule surgery on the, lung and pelvis to follow. So upset. Can't stop crying.

    CC I am so sorry to hear of
    CC I am so sorry to hear of your recurrance. I've been away from this site for too long. I will be checking in on both of you ladys and keeping you in my prayers.
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    beckyracn said:

    CC I am so sorry to hear of
    CC I am so sorry to hear of your recurrance. I've been away from this site for too long. I will be checking in on both of you ladys and keeping you in my prayers.

    On and on
    Beckyracn,
    Good to see you back on here. I hope things are all well with you.

    So, it appears that surgery for both lung and pelvis will occur at the same time. Appears the location of pelvic tumor may make it amenable to more radiation as well. Seems i am starting this whole horrible process over again. Surgery, chemo, radiation, blah blah blah. Feels like someone hit the rewind button, except now I get two surgeries instead of one. Some sort of cancer jackpot. With much worse odds of ever getting out of the game. Crap.
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    ccfighter said:

    On and on
    Beckyracn,
    Good to see you back on here. I hope things are all well with you.

    So, it appears that surgery for both lung and pelvis will occur at the same time. Appears the location of pelvic tumor may make it amenable to more radiation as well. Seems i am starting this whole horrible process over again. Surgery, chemo, radiation, blah blah blah. Feels like someone hit the rewind button, except now I get two surgeries instead of one. Some sort of cancer jackpot. With much worse odds of ever getting out of the game. Crap.

    I'm still hanging in
    I'm still hanging in there!

    When do they plan to do the surgery? Are they going to try a different chemo this time? This really sucks that you've already taken a ride on this haunted rollercoaster and still can't get off. Wishing you the best!
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    beckyracn said:

    I'm still hanging in
    I'm still hanging in there!

    When do they plan to do the surgery? Are they going to try a different chemo this time? This really sucks that you've already taken a ride on this haunted rollercoaster and still can't get off. Wishing you the best!

    Surgery is on the 20th.
    Surgery is on the 20th. Will have lung resection via VATS and possibly laproscopic resection of pelvic tumor, they will go open if they have to. Done all the pre-surgery stuff (blood work, EKG, ect.) and calling everyday for cancellations to move surgery up. I think that if oncologists moved with a greater sense of urgency then more cancers would be cured. Slow motion is paramount to murder. But here I wait and let it grow, day in and day out. The lack of control over this process can drive one insane. Trying to remain hopeful in this bleak foggy cloud of sadness. Perhaps someone will send a Christmas miracle my way.

    Becky-you are an inspiration to us all and hope that 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now you are still posting with reports of your good health and happiness and that dismal prognosis can be overcome. Thank you for that.

    And for all of you, who post and share their experiences, I thank you. Not only does this allow for a support system but also to learn from one anothers experiences, trials and errors, ups, downs and sideways. Honestly, I probably would not have requested a CT of my abdomen and pelvis if it were't for the shared experiences here that provoked me to become anxious and unsettled in a 4 month wait since previous scans. I was without symptoms to warrent a CT and requested such because of the shared experience of others in this site and others in which quick recurrence or persistance of disease was so common for my specific type and grade of cancer. And though my CT results were not what I wanted them to be, I am so very lucky to have caught the recurrence before the tumor became inoperable. For all of you on this website, gyn cancers and others, I am so grateful for your communication and openness and sharing of this horrible disease and the hope and inspiration in which it provides me. even though I am considered "incurable" I certainly dont consider my self hopeless. So Thank You.
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    ccfighter said:

    Surgery is on the 20th.
    Surgery is on the 20th. Will have lung resection via VATS and possibly laproscopic resection of pelvic tumor, they will go open if they have to. Done all the pre-surgery stuff (blood work, EKG, ect.) and calling everyday for cancellations to move surgery up. I think that if oncologists moved with a greater sense of urgency then more cancers would be cured. Slow motion is paramount to murder. But here I wait and let it grow, day in and day out. The lack of control over this process can drive one insane. Trying to remain hopeful in this bleak foggy cloud of sadness. Perhaps someone will send a Christmas miracle my way.

    Becky-you are an inspiration to us all and hope that 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now you are still posting with reports of your good health and happiness and that dismal prognosis can be overcome. Thank you for that.

    And for all of you, who post and share their experiences, I thank you. Not only does this allow for a support system but also to learn from one anothers experiences, trials and errors, ups, downs and sideways. Honestly, I probably would not have requested a CT of my abdomen and pelvis if it were't for the shared experiences here that provoked me to become anxious and unsettled in a 4 month wait since previous scans. I was without symptoms to warrent a CT and requested such because of the shared experience of others in this site and others in which quick recurrence or persistance of disease was so common for my specific type and grade of cancer. And though my CT results were not what I wanted them to be, I am so very lucky to have caught the recurrence before the tumor became inoperable. For all of you on this website, gyn cancers and others, I am so grateful for your communication and openness and sharing of this horrible disease and the hope and inspiration in which it provides me. even though I am considered "incurable" I certainly dont consider my self hopeless. So Thank You.

    Had surgery on the 20 th.
    Had surgery on the 20 th. lung met removed vats wedge resection and pelvic tumor removed by vertical open-incision where tumor was found resting on small bowel. Had part of my small bowel resected also. Spent more time in hospital than anticipated. Still at the hospital, waiting to pass gas. I feel so much better already, despite the surgical pains, the cancer fatigue is gone. Will find out future treatment after pathology comes back.
  • kimmiehedg
    kimmiehedg Member Posts: 27
    Glad to hear you are feeling
    Glad to hear you are feeling better already. Now hurry up and pass gas so you can get home for Christmas! I've been thinking and praying for you every day. My surgery went ok........got most of the cancer but culdnt get it all because it was to risky since it was wrapped around my ureter and next to a large group of blood vessels and a large group of nerves that control my leg. I meet with the Dr on the 26th to get staples removed and go over our next step. I was so happy to hear your surgery went well!!! Keep me posted on your next steps. Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your kiddos!
  • ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476

    Glad to hear you are feeling
    Glad to hear you are feeling better already. Now hurry up and pass gas so you can get home for Christmas! I've been thinking and praying for you every day. My surgery went ok........got most of the cancer but culdnt get it all because it was to risky since it was wrapped around my ureter and next to a large group of blood vessels and a large group of nerves that control my leg. I meet with the Dr on the 26th to get staples removed and go over our next step. I was so happy to hear your surgery went well!!! Keep me posted on your next steps. Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your kiddos!

    So glad that your surgery is

    So glad that your surgery is done and you are recovering!  I have been thinking and praying for you as well.  I am home now!  Yea! Still having a hard time getting around but doing ok.  The abdominal pain doesn't seem all that different to me as the radical hysterectomy last year.  May just be severe gas pains.  I have been  passing gas which help elevitate the pain a little.  I had a vertical incision this time.  It goes quite low near by pubic bone and so even wearing underwear is quite uncomfortable.  Then the lung surgery is just a double whammy but I am glad to get them both done at once.  I still have the onQattached to me which delivers pain meds directly to the chest so that it remains numb and I am not in pain.  It works very well.  My chest really does not hurt at all.  The only thing about that surgery that hurt was the chest tube.  Now that hurts!  My whole abdomen hurts too, but that is from the abdominal surgery.  Part of thE small bowel was removed as it was touching the tumor growing on my abdominal wall.  Ugg.  I too will find out the next stea in another week or two at my follow up appointment.  

     

    Please  keep me informed on what your oncologist suggests for treatment.  Its great to have somebody to compare notes with.  I'm sorry that they could not fully debulk the tumor.  Did they radiate it during surgery?  I know they were thinking of doing something like that originally.  I hope you are recovering comfortably and enjoying the holidays with your kids and family.

  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    ccfighter said:

    So glad that your surgery is

    So glad that your surgery is done and you are recovering!  I have been thinking and praying for you as well.  I am home now!  Yea! Still having a hard time getting around but doing ok.  The abdominal pain doesn't seem all that different to me as the radical hysterectomy last year.  May just be severe gas pains.  I have been  passing gas which help elevitate the pain a little.  I had a vertical incision this time.  It goes quite low near by pubic bone and so even wearing underwear is quite uncomfortable.  Then the lung surgery is just a double whammy but I am glad to get them both done at once.  I still have the onQattached to me which delivers pain meds directly to the chest so that it remains numb and I am not in pain.  It works very well.  My chest really does not hurt at all.  The only thing about that surgery that hurt was the chest tube.  Now that hurts!  My whole abdomen hurts too, but that is from the abdominal surgery.  Part of thE small bowel was removed as it was touching the tumor growing on my abdominal wall.  Ugg.  I too will find out the next stea in another week or two at my follow up appointment.  

     

    Please  keep me informed on what your oncologist suggests for treatment.  Its great to have somebody to compare notes with.  I'm sorry that they could not fully debulk the tumor.  Did they radiate it during surgery?  I know they were thinking of doing something like that originally.  I hope you are recovering comfortably and enjoying the holidays with your kids and family.

    So glad to see you made it

    So glad to see you made it through the surgery safely and are home for the holidays. Hopefully you will feel up to spending time with family tomorrow. And remember...you made it to celebrate one more time. That's all any of us can ask for.