Deception at Duke

JoAnnDK
JoAnnDK Member Posts: 275
edited February 2012 in Uterine Cancer #1
I had heard about this a long time ago, but thought I would post the "60 Minutes" segment (link) here just in case anyone was not aware of this. This is a transcript.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57376073/deception-at-duke/

Not only was Dr. Potti's research fraudulent, he claimed (falsely) to be a Rhodes scholar.

His claim.....that he had found a way to match chemo to each person's tumor.

JoAnn

Comments

  • JoAnnDK
    JoAnnDK Member Posts: 275
    a special place in hell
    I should add that I think there should be a special place in hell for doctors like this Dr. Potti....but he is still in practice as a "cancer specialist" in South Carolina.
  • paris11
    paris11 Member Posts: 159
    JoAnnDK said:

    a special place in hell
    I should add that I think there should be a special place in hell for doctors like this Dr. Potti....but he is still in practice as a "cancer specialist" in South Carolina.

    New York Times last week
    And a md at mskcc is being sued by Penn med center for stealing research and starting a billion $$$ drug company!!! I think the MD is HEAD of the Center Center at MSKCC.
  • julia12756
    julia12756 Member Posts: 22
    JoAnnDK said:

    a special place in hell
    I should add that I think there should be a special place in hell for doctors like this Dr. Potti....but he is still in practice as a "cancer specialist" in South Carolina.

    Karma will bite him in the end
    Horrible people.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

    Karma will bite him in the end
    Horrible people.

    Deception
    Bet his license is gone from every practicing, plus jail time.

    Horrible people in this world, and they claim to be doctors to help the human race...yeah sure!

    Jan
  • silverblackman
    silverblackman Member Posts: 1
    jazzy1 said:

    Deception
    Bet his license is gone from every practicing, plus jail time.

    Horrible people in this world, and they claim to be doctors to help the human race...yeah sure!

    Jan

    DUKE: ANIL POTTI
    Yes, this is the Anil Potti. Check out the North Carolina Medical Board information on Potti, including the 11 malpractice suits settled in his name within the last few months. All relating to his research and fraudulent clinical cancer trials conducted at Duke University. Also read the 2 lawsuits filed in Durham County District Court involving 9 of his former patients, of which 6 have unfortunately died already. Check out the Chronicle (Official Duke Students news letter), search for Potti, Nevins, Cuffe, Marcom, Callif, Crawford and others. To stay up to date on this matter, please check the DukeCheck Blog, it is accurate and timely. Yes, I have a personal stake in this, my sister is one of the patients that was harmed by these people.
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408

    DUKE: ANIL POTTI
    Yes, this is the Anil Potti. Check out the North Carolina Medical Board information on Potti, including the 11 malpractice suits settled in his name within the last few months. All relating to his research and fraudulent clinical cancer trials conducted at Duke University. Also read the 2 lawsuits filed in Durham County District Court involving 9 of his former patients, of which 6 have unfortunately died already. Check out the Chronicle (Official Duke Students news letter), search for Potti, Nevins, Cuffe, Marcom, Callif, Crawford and others. To stay up to date on this matter, please check the DukeCheck Blog, it is accurate and timely. Yes, I have a personal stake in this, my sister is one of the patients that was harmed by these people.

    Silverblackman
    So sorry for the harm your sister endured at the hands of this man....

    I am just now reading this topic. So sad.

    Laurie
  • RoseyR
    RoseyR Member Posts: 471

    Silverblackman
    So sorry for the harm your sister endured at the hands of this man....

    I am just now reading this topic. So sad.

    Laurie

    Alas!

    Yes, this alleged "doctor" should be drawn and quartered. But while a majority of med school researchers, let's hope, are honest, there is great temptation to falsify--or at least exaggerate--findings in clincial studies in order to gain coveted grant money to do even more research. It is a vicious political cycle. Which for me means that we must try to decide how to treat ourselves from the widest range of research, and authorities, as we can. No easy task to be sure.

    As Ralph Moss warns, it's easy to overestimate the efficacy of a given treatment based on the evasive language of clinical studies. A "fifty-percent response rate" is often cited enthusiastically as proof of success when the very term "response rate" merely means shrinkage of a major tumor==a shrinkage that may be merely temporary and/or hardly gateway to a cure. So before choosing a treatment, we should likewise insist on clear language from our oncologists.

    So sorry you had to be victimized by this charlatan!

    Rosey
  • I Will Survive
    I Will Survive Member Posts: 27
    RoseyR said:

    Alas!

    Yes, this alleged "doctor" should be drawn and quartered. But while a majority of med school researchers, let's hope, are honest, there is great temptation to falsify--or at least exaggerate--findings in clincial studies in order to gain coveted grant money to do even more research. It is a vicious political cycle. Which for me means that we must try to decide how to treat ourselves from the widest range of research, and authorities, as we can. No easy task to be sure.

    As Ralph Moss warns, it's easy to overestimate the efficacy of a given treatment based on the evasive language of clinical studies. A "fifty-percent response rate" is often cited enthusiastically as proof of success when the very term "response rate" merely means shrinkage of a major tumor==a shrinkage that may be merely temporary and/or hardly gateway to a cure. So before choosing a treatment, we should likewise insist on clear language from our oncologists.

    So sorry you had to be victimized by this charlatan!

    Rosey

    license
    Jan, not only was Dr. Potti's license not taken away, he was given a new one in South Carolina and is now a practicing oncologist there. So he has been rewarded for his cheating. What a world.

    Duke's #1 cancer doctor wrote Potti an effusive recommendation for his new job and later rescinded it. But by then, Potti had been hired.

    The DUKE CHECK BLOG cited in a previous post has a lot of information. Here is the link: http://dukecheck.com/

    Hannah
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816
    RoseyR said:

    Alas!

    Yes, this alleged "doctor" should be drawn and quartered. But while a majority of med school researchers, let's hope, are honest, there is great temptation to falsify--or at least exaggerate--findings in clincial studies in order to gain coveted grant money to do even more research. It is a vicious political cycle. Which for me means that we must try to decide how to treat ourselves from the widest range of research, and authorities, as we can. No easy task to be sure.

    As Ralph Moss warns, it's easy to overestimate the efficacy of a given treatment based on the evasive language of clinical studies. A "fifty-percent response rate" is often cited enthusiastically as proof of success when the very term "response rate" merely means shrinkage of a major tumor==a shrinkage that may be merely temporary and/or hardly gateway to a cure. So before choosing a treatment, we should likewise insist on clear language from our oncologists.

    So sorry you had to be victimized by this charlatan!

    Rosey

    Rosey, along this line is a very, very interesting dvd
    Healing Cancer From the Inside OUt

    The narrator goes into the many ways that results can and are skewed through simple language usage. The dvd offers many different points of view and a short history of why the medical community is where it is.

    So sad to hear a person capable of such disregard of fellow humans. Thanks Joanne.
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816
    RoseyR said:

    Alas!

    Yes, this alleged "doctor" should be drawn and quartered. But while a majority of med school researchers, let's hope, are honest, there is great temptation to falsify--or at least exaggerate--findings in clincial studies in order to gain coveted grant money to do even more research. It is a vicious political cycle. Which for me means that we must try to decide how to treat ourselves from the widest range of research, and authorities, as we can. No easy task to be sure.

    As Ralph Moss warns, it's easy to overestimate the efficacy of a given treatment based on the evasive language of clinical studies. A "fifty-percent response rate" is often cited enthusiastically as proof of success when the very term "response rate" merely means shrinkage of a major tumor==a shrinkage that may be merely temporary and/or hardly gateway to a cure. So before choosing a treatment, we should likewise insist on clear language from our oncologists.

    So sorry you had to be victimized by this charlatan!

    Rosey

    duplicate post
    oops