CSN Login
Members Online: 1

You are here

Great news!

CSN is getting an upgrade. All of your posts will still be here, but the website will have a new look, new features and be mobile-friendly. To prepare for the changes, the site will be down briefly at the end November. We’ll continue to provide updates as we get closer.    

aversion to eating

Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 2011

Hi - I'm asking for maybe someone who knows what to do about an aversion to eating all of sudden. My brother had his stomach removed 7 yrs. ago and was doing fine until a few months ago when he suddenly started loosing weight. (from 140 lbs. to 124 lbs.) within 5 weeks.He had a scope done and everything is clean, but even drinking Ensure is an effort for him now. Hope anyone out there has some advise. Thanks.

Posts: 221
Joined: Oct 2010

I would ask to have a scan done to make sure there isn't anything else going on within his digestive system. If all he had was a scope done, there may be other issues elsewhere. Just a thought.

Posts: 3
Joined: May 2011

Same thing happened to my mom; she had total gastrectomy 2 and a half years ago; few months ago she became very picky about her food, lost whatever apetite she had, and started losing pounds.She also complains that after eating the food forms something like a ball and she feels it moving in her intestines which she describes as painful and very unpleasant. That makes her not wanting to eat at all.... She got some bile reflux as well and increased constipation. She had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy and a scan and they are all ok. Not sure what to make out of this. We are all desperately looking for solution to make her more comfortable so that she can start eating again and gain back some weight. Did you find any solution?

Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 2011

try the rx 'megace'. it worked for my husband really well he had a great appetite when he was taking it and was starting to gain weight but he had to stop it after just 3 weeks becuase his last blood test showed that his liver had some bad effect and it was from the megace most likely. he also tried dronabinol (medical marijuana) but it didn't help his appetite only made him spacey (go figure!) but megace is worth asking about. hope that works

Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2011


Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2011

It has been over 7 yrs since I had 1/4 of my stomach removed and then flipped to create a pinch valve in my esophagus. In the past 2 years I have become violently sick with eating and my stomach becomes agitated. Because of the stomach being flipped I can not burb or vomit. The involuntary heaving is extremely painful because 90% of the time nothing will come up, the other 10% is at best scary because I can hear and feel the ripping in my chest and what does come up is a bloody mess. Because of this and the fear of the damage it is causing I have an aversion to eating and I have lost 30 lbs in the past year. I am now only 132 lbs and am always catching colds and illnesses because I can not keep a healthy eating pattern. I have tried marijuana and it does create a desire to eat and calms my nerves about the potential for vomiting and the above pain and mess that will likely come afterwards. Before the experiment with pot I went to my doctors asking him for help and as usual all he offered was another prescription for Zoloft. When I explained to him that zoloft never helped and made me lazy and sick he became angry and later sent me an official letter telling me he would no longer be my primary physician. I do not know what to do and the fear of dying before my 8 yr old daughter becomes an adult is so real. I have never cried so much in my life. My wife and I are now in the process of a divorce because of all of this and I can not make her understand what I am going through and thus more stress in my life when I can ill afford more. I need support of people that can understand where I am coming from. What do I do. Where do I go? Doctors want to ignore what I am saying and just give me their blanket scrips that do nothing. I had a scope last year and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

Subscribe to Comments for "aversion to eating"