Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

CA125 38

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had a spike in their CA125 to 38 and had a clean PET scan before? Is it possible that the spike is from something other than the cancer considering how close it is to the normal range? or has anyone had a general spike of 15 points and it been ok?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Tali

Comments

  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,059
    Tali, my CA 125 was never a
    Tali, my CA 125 was never a part of my diagnosis. However, from what I hear, raises in CA125 can be caused by inflammation. Given that the norm of CA 125 is 35 it could be just some inflammation. My highest CA 125 was 21 and my lowest was 1 and it fluctuated between those numbers.

    Of course, if you have any concerns whatsoever, I would call your doctors office and discuss it with them.

    My best to you,

    Kathy
  • willbesurvivor
    willbesurvivor Member Posts: 48
    Kaleena said:

    Tali, my CA 125 was never a
    Tali, my CA 125 was never a part of my diagnosis. However, from what I hear, raises in CA125 can be caused by inflammation. Given that the norm of CA 125 is 35 it could be just some inflammation. My highest CA 125 was 21 and my lowest was 1 and it fluctuated between those numbers.

    Of course, if you have any concerns whatsoever, I would call your doctors office and discuss it with them.

    My best to you,

    Kathy

    Thanks Karleena,
    Mum did go

    Thanks Karleena,

    Mum did go to the doctors about an upset stomach and they said she had inflammation of the stomach so it could be that?
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,059

    Thanks Karleena,
    Mum did go

    Thanks Karleena,

    Mum did go to the doctors about an upset stomach and they said she had inflammation of the stomach so it could be that?

    Most definitely. If they
    Most definitely. If they said inflammation, then that could be it. Once your mom's stomach issues have subsided, have her take another CA125. There should be a drop.

    I have been having some stomach issues also, but I recently had a CT scan which was good.

    My best to you and your mom.

    Kathy
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Kaleena said:

    Most definitely. If they
    Most definitely. If they said inflammation, then that could be it. Once your mom's stomach issues have subsided, have her take another CA125. There should be a drop.

    I have been having some stomach issues also, but I recently had a CT scan which was good.

    My best to you and your mom.

    Kathy

    Before my 2nd remission, my CA125 'leveled off' in the 40's.
    I had a clear CT/PET scan and a CA125 that fluctuated between 40 and 45 for weeks when I was declared back in remission in early 2010. My gyne-onc said that the 40's may be my 'natural' CA125, as most of us never have a baseline CA125 taken BEFORE we are diagnosed. Try not to worry. If it makes you feel any better, my CA125 is 2,632, down from an horrifying 11,451 in August, and has been in the 'thousands' for over 6 months. And I'm still alive and kicking. It's just a number. (((((hugs))))
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    I had my CA 125 double
    Several months ago after a year and a half of a steady CA 125 in the teens mine jumped to 40. YIkes!!! scare me a lot. Turns out MD Anderson had changed the testing that they used. Don't ask me to get technical I don't even begin to pretend that I know everything about the tests. My doctor said what do you want to do. I said lets do a CAT Scan and see what is going on. Clean CAT scan and physical. Waited three more months and CA 125 was still 40. So we are monitoring it. I stopped letting it worry me. I feel fine. Next test will be in Nov.

    I hope your mind will be at ease. Like Linda said it is just a number.
  • willbesurvivor
    willbesurvivor Member Posts: 48
    norma2 said:

    I had my CA 125 double
    Several months ago after a year and a half of a steady CA 125 in the teens mine jumped to 40. YIkes!!! scare me a lot. Turns out MD Anderson had changed the testing that they used. Don't ask me to get technical I don't even begin to pretend that I know everything about the tests. My doctor said what do you want to do. I said lets do a CAT Scan and see what is going on. Clean CAT scan and physical. Waited three more months and CA 125 was still 40. So we are monitoring it. I stopped letting it worry me. I feel fine. Next test will be in Nov.

    I hope your mind will be at ease. Like Linda said it is just a number.

    Thank you Norma and Linda,
    I

    Thank you Norma and Linda,

    I am sure the scan will come back clean as 38 is still a low number. The CA125 test is very confusing as mum's number was 10 pre-surgery! Then 125 post and then down to 13. As you said Norma I think it is the jump that we and the doctors are concerned about.

    Other than the inflammation mum feels fantastic! Riding her horse and running 6 kms (much further than I can!)

    Linda your journey started off very similar to my mums - same age, stage and grading for UPSC. You are truly an inspiration for everyone on this board and we are lucky to have you.

    Tali
  • Susan53
    Susan53 Member Posts: 178

    Before my 2nd remission, my CA125 'leveled off' in the 40's.
    I had a clear CT/PET scan and a CA125 that fluctuated between 40 and 45 for weeks when I was declared back in remission in early 2010. My gyne-onc said that the 40's may be my 'natural' CA125, as most of us never have a baseline CA125 taken BEFORE we are diagnosed. Try not to worry. If it makes you feel any better, my CA125 is 2,632, down from an horrifying 11,451 in August, and has been in the 'thousands' for over 6 months. And I'm still alive and kicking. It's just a number. (((((hugs))))

    So positive
    Linda you are so positive you are an inspiration to to all of us. Thank you for being you. Sharon