Medi Port Removal?

Options
cathtx
cathtx Member Posts: 7
Good Morning everyone! I have been lurking around this board for awhile and now I have a question! How long do most people wait before they have their port removed? I have completed 5 cycles of ABVD and have 1 cycle left and I want my port out as soon as possible. It is really bothersome! My onc said I could have it out as soon as I am done with chemo but I have noticed some people leave them in for awhile. My PET scan in June showed no traces of the cancer and I will not be receiving radiation. Any advice?
Thank you,
Cat

Comments

• vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    port
    Hey Cat, congrat's on finishing your treatment!, I heard at least two years, my Dad had his in for 5 years!, I hate mine too, but I would rather leave it in, then to have them take it out, and my luck relapse in a year. I would not like to go thru that surgery again! Vinny
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    PORTA CATH
    Cat,
    They told me the same thing about the porta cath as vinny was saying. They said they want to leave it in for the maintenance. I am nhl stage 4. I am in the middle of my treatments right now,just finished round 3. The porta cath can be a pain, but I will leave it in just for the maintenance. It would be a little easier than getting stuck all the time with the rituxan. Don't get me wrong it is still no picnic when they stick that port with a needle. John
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    Options
    COBRA666 said:

PORTA CATH
    Cat,
    They told me the same thing about the porta cath as vinny was saying. They said they want to leave it in for the maintenance. I am nhl stage 4. I am in the middle of my treatments right now,just finished round 3. The porta cath can be a pain, but I will leave it in just for the maintenance. It would be a little easier than getting stuck all the time with the rituxan. Don't get me wrong it is still no picnic when they stick that port with a needle. John

Cath Access
    John,
    I place Lidocaine and prilocaine cream, 2.5%/2.5% covered with saran wrap over my cath access site 1-2 hours before the site will be accessed. It works great! That spray numbing stuff didn't work for beans. Have you used this RX at all? All I can feel is pressure but, no pain at all! Kellie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    KC13167 said:

Cath Access
    John,
    I place Lidocaine and prilocaine cream, 2.5%/2.5% covered with saran wrap over my cath access site 1-2 hours before the site will be accessed. It works great! That spray numbing stuff didn't work for beans. Have you used this RX at all? All I can feel is pressure but, no pain at all! Kellie

lidocaine
    Kellie,
    Can you buy the lidocaine OTC or is it prescription?
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    Options
    COBRA666 said:

lidocaine
    Kellie,

Lidocaine
    Hey John, ask your onc for a script for Embla cream, works just the way Kellie stated. I can not believe that the doctors don't pre numb before acessing a port. Both my oncologist's office and my hospitals oncology depts use lidocaine injection before any sort of port or vein acess. LOVE IT!!!!! I don't allow acess with out it, no wy, no how, LOL. Why oh why do they feel its ok to cause unneeded pain.
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    Options
    COBRA666 said:

lidocaine
    Kellie,

Port
    It's an RX. It's just crazy that they would poke a port without numbing it first. The needle has a very wide bore; OUCHY! Kellie