Four rounds of chemo, will I need a VAP?

Options
ender
ender Member Posts: 167
Hi there,

I got diagnosed with BC early March, and am just going through fertility preserving treatment (I am under 30 years old). My chemotherapy will probably start as soon as my eggs are taken out next week.

I just learned about the VAP. I have not met with my medical oncologist to ask about it, but I was wondering if someone here knew when it is used? My chemo will be four rounds of taxotere and cytoxan every three weeks. I can only get IV in one arm (the one not impacted by surgery), but have two good veins in that arm. Does anyone have experience with my treatment regiment with or without the port?

Any comments are helpful.

Eva

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    No port here
    I had the same chemo as you and had 4 rounds. I too had good veins and did not get a port. I did fine through all my treatment. I used the one arm too that was not affected by node removal. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    Hello Eva, so sorry to hear
    Hello Eva, so sorry to hear of one so young having to go thru what the rest of us already have. I was stage 2, Estrogen & Progestrogen +, HER2. I was told a very aggressive cancer. I had a lumpectomy to my left breast, then chemo of Taxxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin every 3wks for 6 months,except Herceptin, I did that one for 1yr. Also did Radiation. I had a port. I decided on the port thru my surgeon and oncologist advised. They said chemo was hard on the veins. Its been 1yr I finished with my chemo and 8 months frm the Herceptin. I you see my expressions, I have pics that you might find interesting and might help you thru this journey. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely

Lupe
  • ender
    Options

No port here
    I had the same chemo as you and had 4 rounds. I too had good veins and did not get a port. I did fine through all my treatment. I used the one arm too that was not affected by node removal. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice

Thanks for your quick reply,
    Thanks for your quick reply, Janice! Sounds like I might get by without a port as you did :)
  • ender
    Options
    Pinkpower said:

Hello Eva, so sorry to hear
    Hello Eva, so sorry to hear of one so young having to go thru what the rest of us already have. I was stage 2, Estrogen & Progestrogen +, HER2. I was told a very aggressive cancer. I had a lumpectomy to my left breast, then chemo of Taxxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin every 3wks for 6 months,except Herceptin, I did that one for 1yr. Also did Radiation. I had a port. I decided on the port thru my surgeon and oncologist advised. They said chemo was hard on the veins. Its been 1yr I finished with my chemo and 8 months frm the Herceptin. I you see my expressions, I have pics that you might find interesting and might help you thru this journey. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely

Lupe

Thanks Lupe! Lovely to see
    Thanks Lupe! Lovely to see how nicely your hair has grown back. One of my fears is that my hair will come back a different color, but I guess that is a small detail in all this ;)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    ender said:

Thanks Lupe! Lovely to see
    Thanks Lupe! Lovely to see how nicely your hair has grown back. One of my fears is that my hair will come back a different color, but I guess that is a small detail in all this ;)

I had 4 rounds of AC and 12
    I had 4 rounds of AC and 12 of taxol. I did not have a port. I also used both arems as i am bilateral. It is controversial but I felt ok with it. I did have issues with veins but you should be ok.
    My hair grew back darker and curly I just dyed it!!!
  • 1acme
    1acme Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Eva
    I had been diagnosed

Hi Eva

I had been diagnosed this February with Tripple Negative BC at age 37.

I had immedatelly Lumpectomy, Centennial note + 14 lymph notes removed from right side. I am starting chemo on this Monday (easter Monday - Apr-25). I will have 16 wks A/C + Taxol 2 weeks a part with daily injection of Neupogin.

I do not have children and my Onco did not recomend eggs "harvesting" as he said that with my age chances are next to nothing.

After chemo I will have to see back my surgeon for another re-incision and later for double mastectomy. I desided for removal of my "healty" left breast to lower chances of reacurrance.

Good luck with you journey.
    Helen
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    Options
    I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your diagnosis and to have to meet you here, but am glad you found us! And, I am glad you are going to be able to harvest some eggs to help preserve your fertility. I am starting the same cocktail this coming Friday, 4x also and my MO just told me on Thursday that he thinks I'll do fine without a port. It looks like we'll be traveling this road together huh?

Nancy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your diagnosis and to have to meet you here, but am glad you found us! And, I am glad you are going to be able to harvest some eggs to help preserve your fertility. I am starting the same cocktail this coming Friday, 4x also and my MO just told me on Thursday that he thinks I'll do fine without a port. It looks like we'll be traveling this road together huh?

Nancy

No port here, but was able to use either arm
    Eva,

I also did 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan, in 2009.

I had bilateral lumpectomies before chemo, but only had 3 lymph nodes removed from each side (all negative), so am considered extremely low risk for lymphedema -- so was able to use either arm for chemo infusions.

I have excellent veins in both arms, but even still the chemo nurses sometimes had to switch arms to find the best vein -- they said something about how chemo IVs have to be deeper than regular IVs? (the nurses here on this board would be able to explain this better than I can)

For only 4 rounds, with both arms to choose from, I was glad I didn't go to the trouble of getting a port. However, if I only had one arm to work with, I would be sure to talk it over with your oncologist.

You also might ask to meet with one of the chemo nurses -- your oncologist (who doesn't actually do the IVs him/herself) may say, oh, your veins are fine, while the nurses (who do this all day every day) may have a better opinion from experience.

Hope that helps?

Traci
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I was on A/C the first time
    I was on A/C the first time around and did not get a port. It really affected my veins. This time around I got the port and am so happy with it. It wasn't only the chemo, it was the scans, surgery, blood draws etc. I would talk to your oncologist. Good luck on your journey.
    ~Carol
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Port is the way to go - FOR ME
    There was never any question in my mind - Port! I have never regretted it and it is still in heading on 2 years post DX - my choice but my PA and my Chemo Dr agree with me.

When I did my first 4 Chemos (neo-adjunct A/C) I could have used either arm. I have great veins (In fact the guy who does most of my blood draws says I don't have a woman's veins but a mans) and as I knew there would be more Chemo after surgery (12 weekly Taxol) and I'd only have one arm then that can be used, I didn't intend on doing anything that might cause a problem - so port it was and port it is.

There are some things though that I think about that all don't have to - I'm IBC so the 'odds say I have a 25% - 45% (depending on the study) of making it to 5 yrs. - so having my port in place is like a 'like jacket' to me - it's there IF it's needed (If I take it out it's not there 'just in case').

Sorry for rambling - there is no way I would not want a port for infusions.
  • scott72
    scott72 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Eva,
    Me and my wife both

Hi Eva,
    Me and my wife both did chemo. I had a port and she did not. I highly recommend a port. Especially with smaller veins. Sometimes your vein will collapse and it becomes a pain. Hers wasnt to big of a problem but a ports just so much easier. Another good reason is that if anything changed and your oncologist decided you did need one, you would already have it. Its not a bad surgery at all but when your taking chemo you just dont need any added stress. Stay as positive as u can and make sure to eat right. Thats my advice. You will beat it!

Scott
  • ender
    Options

I am sorry about your

Nancy

Hi Nancy,
    Thanks for

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for reaching out. Im hoping to start my chemo on Friday too! I have good veins, but they have been somewhat mangled by my daily blood tests during the fertility journey. Will ask them to put the IV for the anesthetics, for the egg harvesting surgery, in my hand to "save" my arm veins. Lets stay in touch and compare experiences, especially if we end up starting the same day.

Eva
  • ender
    Options
    camul said:

I was on A/C the first time
    I was on A/C the first time around and did not get a port. It really affected my veins. This time around I got the port and am so happy with it. It wasn't only the chemo, it was the scans, surgery, blood draws etc. I would talk to your oncologist. Good luck on your journey.
    ~Carol

Thanks, Carol. Im sorry to
    Thanks, Carol. Im sorry to hear there is "another time around" for you. I will definitely ask my MO about the pros and cons.

Eva
  • ender
    Options
    Rague said:

Port is the way to go - FOR ME
    There was never any question in my mind - Port! I have never regretted it and it is still in heading on 2 years post DX - my choice but my PA and my Chemo Dr agree with me.

When I did my first 4 Chemos (neo-adjunct A/C) I could have used either arm. I have great veins (In fact the guy who does most of my blood draws says I don't have a woman's veins but a mans) and as I knew there would be more Chemo after surgery (12 weekly Taxol) and I'd only have one arm then that can be used, I didn't intend on doing anything that might cause a problem - so port it was and port it is.

There are some things though that I think about that all don't have to - I'm IBC so the 'odds say I have a 25% - 45% (depending on the study) of making it to 5 yrs. - so having my port in place is like a 'like jacket' to me - it's there IF it's needed (If I take it out it's not there 'just in case').

Sorry for rambling - there is no way I would not want a port for infusions.

Im new to this world and
    Im new to this world and don't know all the abbreviations, but Im guessing IBC is something bad. Thanks for sharing, and I wish you stay well.

Eva
  • ender
    Options
    scott72 said:

Hi Eva,
    Me and my wife both

Hi Eva,
    Me and my wife both did chemo. I had a port and she did not. I highly recommend a port. Especially with smaller veins. Sometimes your vein will collapse and it becomes a pain. Hers wasnt to big of a problem but a ports just so much easier. Another good reason is that if anything changed and your oncologist decided you did need one, you would already have it. Its not a bad surgery at all but when your taking chemo you just dont need any added stress. Stay as positive as u can and make sure to eat right. Thats my advice. You will beat it!

Scott

Thanks for the advice,
    Thanks for the advice, Scott. I just had so many surgeries lately, and I guess Im just hoping not to have another one. I will definitely try to get an honest pros and cons list from my MO given my circumstances. I hope you and your wife are both staying well. I plan to kick some cancer butt myself ;)

Eva
  • ender
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

No port here, but was able to use either arm
    Eva,

I also did 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan, in 2009.

I had bilateral lumpectomies before chemo, but only had 3 lymph nodes removed from each side (all negative), so am considered extremely low risk for lymphedema -- so was able to use either arm for chemo infusions.

I have excellent veins in both arms, but even still the chemo nurses sometimes had to switch arms to find the best vein -- they said something about how chemo IVs have to be deeper than regular IVs? (the nurses here on this board would be able to explain this better than I can)

For only 4 rounds, with both arms to choose from, I was glad I didn't go to the trouble of getting a port. However, if I only had one arm to work with, I would be sure to talk it over with your oncologist.

You also might ask to meet with one of the chemo nurses -- your oncologist (who doesn't actually do the IVs him/herself) may say, oh, your veins are fine, while the nurses (who do this all day every day) may have a better opinion from experience.

Hope that helps?

Traci

Thats great advice, Traci.
    Thats great advice, Traci. I really appreciate it. I only had centinal node biopsy on one side, but everyone still tells me not to use that arm for any bloodwork. There are chemo nurses on this forum? I just found this place a couple of days ago so Im green.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ender said:

Im new to this world and
    Im new to this world and don't know all the abbreviations, but Im guessing IBC is something bad. Thanks for sharing, and I wish you stay well.

Eva

IBC - Inflammatory Breast
    IBC - Inflammatory Breast Cancer. (Not genetic) Only 1% - 5% (depending on study) of all BC are IBC. There are several of us 'here'. IT hits 'fast' (sometimes overnight) and 'hard'. The 'odds' for making it to 5 yrs post DX are between 25% and 45% (depending on the study)where the over all 'odds' with BC are 87% of making it 5 yrs. I'm ER+ so not TN (Triple Negative.

Aug 8 will be my 2 yr DX Cancervary and I'm doing Great! My Rad Dr doesn't want to ever see me again, and last Moonday my Surgeon told me he never wants to see me again as long as I see my PA every 6 mths (not a prob - she's been my PA for 15 yrs). I see my Chemo Dr in late July - don't kow what he's going to say.

Hope I made more sense to you - all BC is not the same.

Susan
  • ender
    Options
    1acme said:

Hi Eva
    I had been diagnosed

Hi Eva

I had been diagnosed this February with Tripple Negative BC at age 37.

I had immedatelly Lumpectomy, Centennial note + 14 lymph notes removed from right side. I am starting chemo on this Monday (easter Monday - Apr-25). I will have 16 wks A/C + Taxol 2 weeks a part with daily injection of Neupogin.

I do not have children and my Onco did not recomend eggs "harvesting" as he said that with my age chances are next to nothing.

After chemo I will have to see back my surgeon for another re-incision and later for double mastectomy. I desided for removal of my "healty" left breast to lower chances of reacurrance.

Good luck with you journey.
    Helen

Im sorry to hear about your
    Im sorry to hear about your MO's "verdict" about your fertility. I guess you decided to follow your MO's advice, as you start chemo tomorrow. Good luck, Helen.

Eva
  • ender
    Options
    Rague said:

IBC - Inflammatory Breast
    IBC - Inflammatory Breast Cancer. (Not genetic) Only 1% - 5% (depending on study) of all BC are IBC. There are several of us 'here'. IT hits 'fast' (sometimes overnight) and 'hard'. The 'odds' for making it to 5 yrs post DX are between 25% and 45% (depending on the study)where the over all 'odds' with BC are 87% of making it 5 yrs. I'm ER+ so not TN (Triple Negative.

Aug 8 will be my 2 yr DX Cancervary and I'm doing Great! My Rad Dr doesn't want to ever see me again, and last Moonday my Surgeon told me he never wants to see me again as long as I see my PA every 6 mths (not a prob - she's been my PA for 15 yrs). I see my Chemo Dr in late July - don't kow what he's going to say.

Hope I made more sense to you - all BC is not the same.

Susan

Most happy to hear you are
    Most happy to hear you are doing great, Susan. And thanks for the lesson. I know I am a very lucky woman all things considered. Im only 28 years old, which does not make me feel so lucky. But Im ER/PR + and stage I. They still want to give me chemo "because Im so young", and because there was vascular invasion. Im hoping your MO tells you to get out of his office forever too!

Eva
  • ender
    Options
    carkris said:

I had 4 rounds of AC and 12
    I had 4 rounds of AC and 12 of taxol. I did not have a port. I also used both arems as i am bilateral. It is controversial but I felt ok with it. I did have issues with veins but you should be ok.
    My hair grew back darker and curly I just dyed it!!!

I don't mind curly hair :)
    I don't mind curly hair :) Do you know how frequent it is to get your hair back darker?

Eva