Feb 25, 2013 - 8:50 pm
We met with the Surgical Onc today and surgery is planned for tomorrow. He will have fourteen teeth removed, chemo port put in, and G-tube. I'm guessing about a four hour surgery. He will then be kept in hospital, at least overnight.
I'll be meeting with a nutritionist regarding the G-tube in the hospital.
The first chemo session is still scheduled for Thursday if it is felt that he can withstand it.
Last Friday' surgery went well. The anesthesiologist decided to use a spinal instead of taking a chance of doing more damage with a breathing tube. Because his heart does not pump off anesthesia at the normal rate, he was kept an extra two hours in recovery before his legs "woke up". Small error, but the doctor failed to write the strength of the pain med on the prescription. His office failed to answer repeated calls from pharmacy. Fortunately, I had some pain meds of the same type at home, so he was not made to suffer.
Getting around with the catheter in place is difficult, but will not have an opportunity for removal until possibly Friday, so he will make do.
Very frightened about tomorrow and the rest of the week, but trying to stay strong. Home Health will be coming out to help with the port and tube until I get it down "pat". So far my expertise is bandaging wounds and emptying catheter bags. LOL Could use some extra prayers and good vibes for tomorrow.
A Very Tired,