Nov 06, 2011 - 2:18 pm
I am a newbie, having been recently diagnosed in August, 2011 and have been reading the other posts trying to get information related to UPSC. I have found the ladies on this site to be the most helpful and the most understanding. After reading a lot of the posts, I feel this is the best place to get my information because everyone has been there and has first hand experience. I will try to make this brief.
I had a complete hysterectomy on August 18, 2011 where they found a polyp with UPSC. On Sept 19, 2011 I had surgery for staging with a gyn/onc. He removed 44 lymphnodes in which all were negative as well as the washing and everything else he tested. He said I was very lucky because they caught it early and was staged 1A, grade 3 with UPSC. The first doctor recommended either observation or chemo. But he was leaning heavily on the observation side but he left it up to me to decide. I decided to get a second opinion and on Oct 19, that doctor's pathology report came back with carcinoscarcoma. The second doctor was much more doom and gloom. She is recommending definately chemo. I have tried talking to the first doctor again but he says not to put too much into the pathlogoy reports because they are open to interpetation. He says it does not really matter which cancer it is because both are high grade and aggressive and if I decide to do chemo to make me feel better then he is willing to do that. I must tell you though, my aversion to chemo is because I had both chemo and radiation back in 2005 for breast cancer and really did not enjoy it much at all.
I am now more confused then ever on which direction to go with treatment and was wondering if anyone else had 2 different diagnosis and treatment options and what did you use to help you decide. I have been reading online and on these posts, a lot of what is on line is out of date now. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, it was easy because it was so far along, I did not have any options. The doctors advised very strongly treatment options. I guess I was looking at the doctors as the experts and wanting to follow their recommendations but now I have 2 different options. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have to make a decision soon because of the time frame now going on 3 months since diagnosis. (You can tell I am a procrastinator and dragging this out) Thanks so much for being here when I need some reassurance.