CSN Login
Members Online: 4

HPV transmission????????

monty gizmo
Posts: 12
Joined: Jul 2011

Is my partner at risk?????????????
Should he be tested. I understand their is a blood test for HPV. If anyone has the name of the test please advise. Thanks

mp327's picture
Posts: 3549
Joined: Jan 2010

Sex partners of those with HPV are at risk for contracting the virus. However, there is no blood test to detect HPV. Woman find out they have it through smears taken at the time of their pap tests. The only test a man can receive currently to detect HPV is an anal pap smear. Obviously, that test is only done on men who are at high risk for HPV (men who have sex with men).

RoseC's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: Jun 2011

I asked my oncologist about this when I was first diagnosed. I was worried about my husband. My oncologist said half the people in the United States have the HPV virus and it's only a very small percentage of those people who will develop anal cancer. Your husband (or partner) most likely does have the virus, but I wouldn't dwell on him developing anything because of you. Actually, he may have had it already when you first got together, unless he was a virgin at the time.

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2016 © Cancer Survivors Network