Hey everyone. We saw my husband's doctor today and got all his test, ct scan..ultrasound..blood work..colonoscopy, results and he shows no signs of cancer anywhere. He will have the ultrasound again every four months for the next year. Thank God....
But after giving us the test results the doctor kept talking about how the cancer could return because he has a few patients that it has returned after having the same surgery (removed tumor only) as my husband, and even one that the cancer returned after she had the big surgery (resulting in colostomy) as he calls it, three years ago.
When we left my husband was more depressed than I have seen him in a long time. He kept saying the doctor acted like he was just waiting for when it would return not if it would.
I tried to explain to him:
1. To keep the same faith he has had so far that he would be okay and just keep praying.
2. That his path report after surgery showed no signs of cancer.
3. That the doc that did the ultrasound said his tumor was very young and probably not very aggresive.
4. That there are people every day that have a tumor removed from the rectum that never returns.
5. That he was on chemo four months after his surgery.
6. His doctor, and most doctors, always give you the worst case senerio.
I just don't know what else to say to him. I think sometimes we just want to go in and the doc say "okay, you are cancer free and it will not come back". But unfortunately thats not the way cancer is. All we can do is hope and pray it doesn't return.
Sorry this was so long, but you guys are the only ones that understand what and how you feel after every test, surgery, doctors appointment, etc.
My husband is cancer free at this moment but I'll still check in every day to help anyone I can. I know how important this site and you guys are when you feel alone with this monster.
God bless all and you are in my prayers daily.