My mother has DCIS

Options
Teresa09
Teresa09 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My mother was diagnosed recently with Grade 3 DCIS breast cancer and I'm not happy with the information about radiation. I think she should go for mastectomy but she may try for the radiation and attempted ductal removal. Would someone who has had this type of breast cancer please offer your story? My mother is 68 but has other immunological issues. I'm concerned about the radiation treatment. She is not a candidate for tamoxifen due to estrogen receptor negative. I'm having a heck of a time navigating this website too so if you could respond to my email at work that would be fine too: tfasulo@healtheffects.org Thank you!!!!!

Comments

• seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Hi Teresa, My cancer sounds exactly like your moms. I had dcis, high nuclear grade 3 with extensive necrosis. Mine also was est/prst neg. I was diagnosed in January of this year and had a bilateral mastectomy with immed tram flap reconstruct.

First we are both lucky that we caught our cancers in the stage that we did. If they have clear margins and there is no spread, then studies are showing that the lumpectomy with radiation is as effective as a mastectomy. In my case, I had diffuse dcis...it was all over. There was no way to biopsy it all (microcalcifications) so we had no other option than to do a mastectomy. I had already had a lumpectomy in the left breast for a benign tumor, so I was at too much risk with the grade. We decided to do a bilateral for the risk factor and so that I could do the tram and have a better appearance.

If you want to email me, please feel free to. seeknpeace@aol.com. I am 52, and had a lot of bc in my family as well. She is lucky to have you so involved and finding information.

Best wishes..
    Jan
  • lydia99
    lydia99 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hi sweetie:)This is your Mom!
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    lydia99 said:

hi sweetie:)This is your Mom!

Hi Lydia!! It is a pleasure to meet you....please contact me if you need or want to. I am happy to talk to you and share any info that I have learned or lived. God bless you hon...Jan