Could someone help me

Options
24242 Member Posts: 1,398
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I seem to not understand something I know someone can help me. Someone in post mentioned the fact that they had very invasive stage three breast cancer with no lymphnode involvement. But correct me if I am wrong I am always wrong according to my mate and if not in lympnodes wonder why so high of stage. Lymph node involvement means doesn't it that it has spread and has better chance of spreading in lymph system. I don't seem to understand staging. I always thought stage 4 was terminal but someone told me 5 was. I am very interested if someone could in none tech terms.
thanks ladies,
Tara

Comments

• jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi Tara,

Had to refresh my own memory by going to 'google' for FOUR stages of breast cancer ( there is no #5 ) and found this:

>>Stage 3 tumours: these are larger than five centimetres and may be attached to surrounding structures such as the muscle or skin. The lymph glands are usually affected, but there are no signs that the cancer has spread beyond the breast or the lymph glands in the armpit.<<

Notice that it says 'usually affected' but size of tumour is the important item here - very large.

Hope I helped.
    Jean
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I think stage 111B (3B) is what you are referring to in post: where it has spread to tissues near breast i.e. skin, chest wall, ribs or muscle. Would be real surprised if not in lymph nodes too, but hey it could happen. Probably related to what area of breast the tumor was in, like inner lower quadrant might not involve lymph nodes. Full staging in other note. hummb
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    jeancmici said:

Hi Tara,

Had to refresh my own memory by going to 'google' for FOUR stages of breast cancer ( there is no #5 ) and found this:

>>Stage 3 tumours: these are larger than five centimetres and may be attached to surrounding structures such as the muscle or skin. The lymph glands are usually affected, but there are no signs that the cancer has spread beyond the breast or the lymph glands in the armpit.<<

Notice that it says 'usually affected' but size of tumour is the important item here - very large.

Hope I helped.
    Jean</p>

Mine they say didn't fit most of the criteria set out size not quite 5 cms. Yes 11 out of 21 +.
    I think rules are made to be broken and many women out there now have survived amazing odds against them. For their own reasons, because of their own beliefs, they have found lives for themselves long past their cancer. I am choosing to do the same. I do what I can to minimize my risks, the least I can do for myself.
    Thanks Jean for your help and you DID!
    Tara
  • judy22
    judy22 Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Tara. I think you have the right idea. I am at stage 4 an have been for 3 years. It was in my lymp nodes and has spread to the liver. I am still very much alive and kicking. So keep up the good thoughts. judy
  • geral
    geral Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi Tara!
    I'm not sure what post you are referring to, so I haven't read it. From what you said, I think she may have meant that she had an 'AGRESSIVE' 'GRADE 3' breast cancer. In addition to staging your breast cancer as stage 0,1,2,3 or 4, a system of grading 1,2,or 3 is used for invasive cancers.

The following grading info is from ACS:
    "Grade 1 (well-differentiated) cancers have relatively normal-looking cells that do not appear to be growing rapidly and are arranged in small tubules.
    Grade 2 (moderately differentiated) cancers have features between grades 1 and 3.
    Grade 3 (poorly differentiated) cancers, the highest grade, lack these features and tend to grow and spread more aggressively."

I think there is confusion out there about whether there are 4 or 5 stages of breast cancer. The reason is because alot of people don't know or just don't mention Stage '0'. So if you include that stage with the other 4 that equals 5.
    "Stage IV: The cancer, regardless of its size, has metastasized to distant organs such as bones or lungs or to lymph nodes not near the breast" as per ACS.

When ya get a chance, call ACS and request their info on breast cancer. It's over 60 pages with a red, white and blue cover. It doesn't have a title because it's info they've stapled together. It's like a BC Bible! It gives alot of info on stages and different types of BC and treatments. I started typing the stages for you, but it's too much!

Hope your job's going okay!

Take care,
    Geral
  • pamtriggs
    pamtriggs Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi Tara
    Stage 3 (a,b or c) is where the cancer has metastised to local areas around the original site & the tumour(s) are more than 5 cm in size. After that it goes to stage 4 where the cancer has metastised thru the lymph nodes to other distant parts of the body (usually bones brain lings & liver or BBLL as it is known). Chances of a cure are harder for stage 4 than any other stage because as long as it remains localised it is a lot easier to treat. Once it is in the rest of the body it gets harder & chemo is the only way to go. But there are a lot of us on this site who are stage 4 & still alive & kicking (me included). A lot of it is state of mind & a lot just pure blind luck as to where it settles. I have been 2 + years since metastatic disease was DX but it was there from the original site 21 years ago. Just waiting for something to trigger it to go active. They think mine was triggered by hormone changes with menopause. There is no stage 5 unless you mean death. Hope this clears this up. If not try doing a search on www.google.com.
    Love & hugs

Pam