RCC and Anemia/Iron Deficiency

Options
APny
APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

Anyone else experience this? I had severe anemia and iron deficiency prior to discovering my kidney cancer so I assumed afterwards that it was related. However, the summer of 2014, which was after my partial, I was so severely deficient that I got blood transfusion and a series of iron infusions. Told to take iron 2x a day then once a day, then every other day. Everything was fine after that until a couple of days ago when my PCP once again detected very low level of iron. My blood counts are still good but usually the iron is the first step, followed by drops in blood counts. I’m now again taking 45 mg of iron every day and am just wondering if this is related to RCC or I’m just making that connection. Anyone else had or has this issue?

Comments

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My partner's iron was

My partner's iron was ok.

What about your diet? Are you a vegetarian? A friend of mine, totally healthy, was very anemic, but a  trip to the Azores with drinking red wine and eating stakes there every day helped a lot :-)

Also sorry for mentioning this personal issue, but for us girls it is also important how much blood we loose during our periods. If a lot - it can cause deficiency. 

I've also heard that anemia can be caused by celiac disease...

• Richgels1
    Richgels1 Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep

Yes, I was anemic in my initial blood tests just before diagnosis. I was told it's because your white blood cells are elevated fighting what's wrong with you and the red blood cells become depleted. I also had to take iron pills for about 6 months before it corrected itself. Been good ever since.

Scott

• APny
    Options
    Richgels1 said:

Yep

Yes, I was anemic in my initial blood tests just before diagnosis. I was told it's because your white blood cells are elevated fighting what's wrong with you and the red blood cells become depleted. I also had to take iron pills for about 6 months before it corrected itself. Been good ever since.

Scott

Allochka. Alas, those days

Allochka. Alas, those days are behind me so that's not the problem. Ironically I was never iron deficient prior to menopause. I believe my diet is fine. Not a vegetarian but try not to eat too much red meat. Mostly chicken and fish but that should give me enough iron. Celiac was also ruled out.

Thanks, Scott. Yes, the iron pills really helped me also, as did the series of infusions but it seems as soon as I went to every second or third day it's started to drop again. Never had this issue until just before I was diagnosed. About a year or so before it, actually. They thought it might be internal bleeding so had the whole endoscopy, colonoscopy thing done. But it wasn't that. It's concerning me because I really don't want another blood transfusion or even iron infusions :(

• Allochka
    Options
    APny said:

Allochka. Alas, those days

Allochka. Alas, those days are behind me so that's not the problem. Ironically I was never iron deficient prior to menopause. I believe my diet is fine. Not a vegetarian but try not to eat too much red meat. Mostly chicken and fish but that should give me enough iron. Celiac was also ruled out.

Thanks, Scott. Yes, the iron pills really helped me also, as did the series of infusions but it seems as soon as I went to every second or third day it's started to drop again. Never had this issue until just before I was diagnosed. About a year or so before it, actually. They thought it might be internal bleeding so had the whole endoscopy, colonoscopy thing done. But it wasn't that. It's concerning me because I really don't want another blood transfusion or even iron infusions :(

Sorry, I should have guessed

Sorry, I should have guessed that if you had blood transfusions it means that docs were closely following your case and definitely excluded these most popular anemia causes.

Are you seeing a hematologist?

• APny
    Options
    Allochka said:

Sorry, I should have guessed

Sorry, I should have guessed that if you had blood transfusions it means that docs were closely following your case and definitely excluded these most popular anemia causes.

Are you seeing a hematologist?

No, but that's probably my

No, but that's probably my next step. It's just something I connect with RCC so that's why I wondered if anyone else experienced it. Perhaps they're unrelated but it's just odd that it only popped up about a year prior to my diagnosis and since the surgery. I geuss that's why I'm connecting the two. Don't be sorry; I'm grateful for your answers :)

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    APny said:

No, but that's probably my

No, but that's probably my next step. It's just something I connect with RCC so that's why I wondered if anyone else experienced it. Perhaps they're unrelated but it's just odd that it only popped up about a year prior to my diagnosis and since the surgery. I geuss that's why I'm connecting the two. Don't be sorry; I'm grateful for your answers :)

I have slight anemia

I have a slight anemia right now but with me it has all my life been an issue.  Was not after 2 transfusions that were given to me because of my anemia pre-surgery and post-surgery complications, but now, one year after, Im again a little below the good mark.  If it's just a little I wouldn't worry too much but just to be on the safe side, you should talk to your doctor.  Anything and everything can make us a bit anxious now but it's good to be alert.  Be well APny!

• Allochka
    Options
    marosa said:

I have slight anemia

I have a slight anemia right now but with me it has all my life been an issue.  Was not after 2 transfusions that were given to me because of my anemia pre-surgery and post-surgery complications, but now, one year after, Im again a little below the good mark.  If it's just a little I wouldn't worry too much but just to be on the safe side, you should talk to your doctor.  Anything and everything can make us a bit anxious now but it's good to be alert.  Be well APny!

Hopefully hematologist  will

Hopefully hematologist  will find the cause and treat it.

Anyway, the fact that esophagus, stomach and colon are healthy is great! 

• APny
    Options
    Allochka said:

Hopefully hematologist  will

Hopefully hematologist  will find the cause and treat it.

Anyway, the fact that esophagus, stomach and colon are healthy is great! 

Thanks guys, yes, every

Thanks guys, yes, every little thing is now making me jumpy. My transferrin saturation is 9. It should be close to 20. So yeah, it's an issue. I realize compared to so much that others are going through it's minor but I stress out over everything lately. If it doesn't improve with the supplements I'll see a hematologist.

Marosa, are you taking iron now that it's low again? Did they ever say what's causing it or it's just some random thing? Be well too!

Andi

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    APny said:

Thanks guys, yes, every

Thanks guys, yes, every little thing is now making me jumpy. My transferrin saturation is 9. It should be close to 20. So yeah, it's an issue. I realize compared to so much that others are going through it's minor but I stress out over everything lately. If it doesn't improve with the supplements I'll see a hematologist.

Marosa, are you taking iron now that it's low again? Did they ever say what's causing it or it's just some random thing? Be well too!

Andi

Hi Andi,How is your B12? And

Hi Andi,

How is your B12? And your hemoglobin? I know that those are sometimes tied in with your blood count/anemia. I am always borderline, but never to the extent that you are. Are you on any other medication that might contribute to it? I am taking Nexium for stomach acid and found out through my naturopath that Nexium blocks B12 absorption. My doctor and my friend who is a nurse, were unaware of this fact. Worth investigating.

And don't worry about posting a concern of yours - everyone has different problems and issues and we are here to help each other through these times!

Hugs

Jojo

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Jojo61 said:

Hi Andi,How is your B12? And

Hi Andi,

How is your B12? And your hemoglobin? I know that those are sometimes tied in with your blood count/anemia. I am always borderline, but never to the extent that you are. Are you on any other medication that might contribute to it? I am taking Nexium for stomach acid and found out through my naturopath that Nexium blocks B12 absorption. My doctor and my friend who is a nurse, were unaware of this fact. Worth investigating.

And don't worry about posting a concern of yours - everyone has different problems and issues and we are here to help each other through these times!

Hugs

Jojo

First of all, I am sorry you

First of all, I am sorry you are struggling like this. Enuff!!

I would make sure you stay on top of this and find someone who will help you!

and JoJo, I didn't know that about Nexium. I also take a similar medication but my B12 is checked regularly and is okay now.

Good idea to have it checked.

Let us know how you are doing Apny!

Sending you healing vibes and blessings many!

Jan

• APny
    Options
    Jan4you said:

First of all, I am sorry you

First of all, I am sorry you are struggling like this. Enuff!!

I would make sure you stay on top of this and find someone who will help you!

and JoJo, I didn't know that about Nexium. I also take a similar medication but my B12 is checked regularly and is okay now.

Good idea to have it checked.

Let us know how you are doing Apny!

Sending you healing vibes and blessings many!

Jan

Thank you so much, Jojo and

Thank you so much, Jojo and Jan. I do feel foolish posting about something like this when others have so much worse to contend with. Thank you for understanding that it does worry me because I don’t know the reason.

I’m not on any meds except the iron and Xanax for anxiety. Interestingly my hemoglobin is fine at 12.3, though it too went down since June when everything including my iron levels were still good. But usually the iron drops first, then then hemo so that’s why it’s important to catch it before it does. Last summer (2014) my hemoglobin dropped to 6.5, hence the blood transfusion. God knows why that happened because as I said colonoscopy and endoscopy came back negative except for a polyp which they removed from my colon and CT scan showed nothing.

Not sure about my B12 level. Should get that checked; great advice. And I do agree that a hematologist might be a good idea instead of my PCP who is kind of stumped too.

Andi xo

• Allochka
    Options
    APny said:

Thank you so much, Jojo and

Thank you so much, Jojo and Jan. I do feel foolish posting about something like this when others have so much worse to contend with. Thank you for understanding that it does worry me because I don’t know the reason.

I’m not on any meds except the iron and Xanax for anxiety. Interestingly my hemoglobin is fine at 12.3, though it too went down since June when everything including my iron levels were still good. But usually the iron drops first, then then hemo so that’s why it’s important to catch it before it does. Last summer (2014) my hemoglobin dropped to 6.5, hence the blood transfusion. God knows why that happened because as I said colonoscopy and endoscopy came back negative except for a polyp which they removed from my colon and CT scan showed nothing.

Not sure about my B12 level. Should get that checked; great advice. And I do agree that a hematologist might be a good idea instead of my PCP who is kind of stumped too.

Andi xo

You should not feel foolish!

You should not feel foolish! You have a concern, and we are here to support or share ideas what to do.  Of course it is necessary to check what is going on. But I highly doubt it has anything to do with kidney cancer history, please do not worry about it. Stage 1, succesfully treated - this really can't be the reason. Maybe smth endocrinologicaL or some other benign reason.

See a hematologist and please do not google anything - googling is always a bad idea...

• APny
    Options
    Allochka said:

You should not feel foolish!

You should not feel foolish! You have a concern, and we are here to support or share ideas what to do.  Of course it is necessary to check what is going on. But I highly doubt it has anything to do with kidney cancer history, please do not worry about it. Stage 1, succesfully treated - this really can't be the reason. Maybe smth endocrinologicaL or some other benign reason.

See a hematologist and please do not google anything - googling is always a bad idea...

Thanks, Allochka. You're very

Thanks, Allochka. You're very kind. And yes, Google is awful. I need to sit on my hands not to Google the hell out of every symptom.