4 years post

Options
angela k
angela k Member Posts: 7

Although it's rare that I return to this board, I try to share recovery milestones with each passing year to offer hope.  Diagnosed as a possible IIIB, I am now 4 years post with no concerns.

I think about you all going through treatment during the holidays as I began mine Thanksgiving week 2010.  My fantastic radiology techs played the BEST Christmas music and I vividly remember thinking how surreal it was to be flat on my back listening to Elvis sing 'Santa Claus is Back in Town' or Dwight Yoakum wailing 'Run, Run Rudolph" while getting my 16 zaps every morning at 8:30.

Just remember that you're much stronger than you think you are and that taking good care of ALL THREE - body, mind and spirit --  is vital during and after treatment.

Blessings, light and love to each and every one during the holidays and many years following.

Angela

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Angela

Congratulations on reaching the 4-year mark!  I am so glad to hear that you are doing well and I wish you all the very best, including good health, in the New Year!  Have a Merry Christmas!

Hugs--

Martha

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Angela

Its great to hear from long time survivors, congratulations on your 4 years.  I wish you continued health and Happy Holidays! Smile

• horsepad
    horsepad Member Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on four

Congratulations on four years!!  You are so right in your posting about being stronger than we think we are.  I am a three year stage 4 survivor and have such a better outlook on life.  Merry Christmas and may you have another year of good health, mind and spirit!

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    angela k

So happy to hear your great news, congrats !!!!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Four years! I'm only 5 months post-treatment - I'm so jealous! Keep up the good work.

.^_^.

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    good news

I'm happy to hear that you've passed the 4 year mark.  That's great.  Thanks for letting us know.

Best,

Janet

• jcorum
    jcorum Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get reassurance from seeing

I get reassurance from seeing people like Martha on here that are 6 years NED and I hope I give reassurance to those you are new in the cancer arena since I am 4 years NED.  I am also so blessed that I had a relatively easy treatment cycle, with no lasting side affects like some on here have Had. I truly enjoy life more than ever, don't take it for granted, have learned to not sweat the small stuff. Something about hearing a doc say "you could die from this disease" puts everything else in perspective. I remember right after I finished treatments, waiting in the car while my hubs ran an errand in a store, and there was a hawk gliding in the blue sky and I was mesmerized watching how effortlessly it stayed afloat with just an occasional flap of its wings. I couldn't take my eyes off of it and it filled my spirit with such awe at the power of God in creation. I don't know how many times over the years that I prob could have seen the same sight but didn't even notice it. Now I do. I don't take for granted sunsets, sunflowers, the sound of the ocean, the laughter of my grandchildren. I manage 30 people at work and I am amazed at the petty things they get torqued over . I think if everyone were told once that they could die, they would realize how crazy it is to be mad that a co-worker passed them and didn't say good morning. (Yes, I actually had someone complain to me about this!) I am so incredibly grateful for each day!!!! 

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    jcorum said:

I get reassurance from seeing

I get reassurance from seeing people like Martha on here that are 6 years NED and I hope I give reassurance to those you are new in the cancer arena since I am 4 years NED.  I am also so blessed that I had a relatively easy treatment cycle, with no lasting side affects like some on here have Had. I truly enjoy life more than ever, don't take it for granted, have learned to not sweat the small stuff. Something about hearing a doc say "you could die from this disease" puts everything else in perspective. I remember right after I finished treatments, waiting in the car while my hubs ran an errand in a store, and there was a hawk gliding in the blue sky and I was mesmerized watching how effortlessly it stayed afloat with just an occasional flap of its wings. I couldn't take my eyes off of it and it filled my spirit with such awe at the power of God in creation. I don't know how many times over the years that I prob could have seen the same sight but didn't even notice it. Now I do. I don't take for granted sunsets, sunflowers, the sound of the ocean, the laughter of my grandchildren. I manage 30 people at work and I am amazed at the petty things they get torqued over . I think if everyone were told once that they could die, they would realize how crazy it is to be mad that a co-worker passed them and didn't say good morning. (Yes, I actually had someone complain to me about this!) I am so incredibly grateful for each day!!!! 

jcorum

I couldn't agree with you more about not sweating the small stuff.  When I hear people complain anymore, I want to ask them "a year from now will this really matter?"  If the answer is no, then it's really not worth getting one's short in a bunch!  I am so glad you are a 4-year survivor and are enjoying all the things in life that make going through this treatment worthwhile.  Take care and may NED always be in your life!

• 0626june
    0626june Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Angela

thank you so much for your encouragement.  It's great to read about your success. It gives us hope and that's essential!

Blessings to you.

June