tests, what they mean

Options
trustyourgut
trustyourgut Member Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in Breast Cancer #1

So,  I skipped mammograms for 5 yrs. Prior history of 15 yrs of  mammos was uneventful for me, minus one guided needel aspiration-diagnosed as a cyst- 6 yrs ago. Among over 50 family members, a maternal aunt had brst cancer in her early 40's, and subsequently passed away.  :-(   I think my risks are low of having any cancer. Altho, I was not pregnant / give birth until my early 30's, I think I reduced my risks by brstfeeding for over 5 yrs. total. So, I skippped those 5 yrs, of mammos, confidently. Also, after seeing what my aunt went through, I thought I would not treat cancer if I did have it.  (she had it 30 yrs ago. )  The eason for this topic, is that I had a screening mammo, was called back for diagnostic mammo on rt, ultra sound on left, which resulted in an ultrasound on rt also. I was informed I have heterogenously dense brsts, and lots of calcifications. FOllow-up in 3 mos, and an MRI are recommended. I don't have the reprot yet, Info came from the US tech, via the radiologist. I feel they r either looking for something, or that my finally agreeing to a screening mammo, has simply lead to ongoing tests, due to dense brsts. I don't know whether to be annoyed or concerned. Anyone have a similar experience? I have been reading a lot on the net, bout different types of calcifications. Back of my mind, tho, is that my family has heart disease, not cancer.

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Trust Your Gut***

Love the name you have chosen....because I totally believe in Trusting Your Gut....  You did not give us your age....but having an Aunt in her 40s who died from BC  OVER 30 YEARS AGO clues me in a little bit.    My Sister in Law went thru hell in the 80's with her BC...even did the Bone Marrow harvest ...which was EXCRUCIATINGLY Painful...but she died anyway too...and she was only 56 when she died.     THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW....  They have come a very very long way with the chemo and radiation......even the Surgeons know so much more.   All I can tell you is that about ten years before my Diagnosis my Mammograms were showing what they called "Dysplasia Calciffications"..........and I did not pursue it and I KNEW there was NO WAY that I could EVER get Breast Cancer..........COME ON....

....................WELL  I WAS WRONG.    I now very much wish I had not ignored that signal......... and that I had not gone for 3 or 4 years without getting my Mammograms after my husband died.   Tests and Scans are NOTHING compared to what you might have to go thru by ignoring the signals.   Sorry you feel "they are ...looking for something".....because  of course they are looking for somethng....they want to save your life if that 'something' happens to be Cancer.   Hope you won't let a few tests stop you from being sure about what is going on.  Thoughts and Prayers.   Glo 

• trustyourgut
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Trust Your Gut***

Love the name you have chosen....because I totally believe in Trusting Your Gut....  You did not give us your age....but having an Aunt in her 40s who died from BC  OVER 30 YEARS AGO clues me in a little bit.    My Sister in Law went thru hell in the 80's with her BC...even did the Bone Marrow harvest ...which was EXCRUCIATINGLY Painful...but she died anyway too...and she was only 56 when she died.     THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW....  They have come a very very long way with the chemo and radiation......even the Surgeons know so much more.   All I can tell you is that about ten years before my Diagnosis my Mammograms were showing what they called "Dysplasia Calciffications"..........and I did not pursue it and I KNEW there was NO WAY that I could EVER get Breast Cancer..........COME ON....

....................WELL  I WAS WRONG.    I now very much wish I had not ignored that signal......... and that I had not gone for 3 or 4 years without getting my Mammograms after my husband died.   Tests and Scans are NOTHING compared to what you might have to go thru by ignoring the signals.   Sorry you feel "they are ...looking for something".....because  of course they are looking for somethng....they want to save your life if that 'something' happens to be Cancer.   Hope you won't let a few tests stop you from being sure about what is going on.  Thoughts and Prayers.   Glo 

tests-Glo

Glo, Thank you for the very helpful post. I am 58 yrs old. I sometimes drove my aunt to the hospital for radiation treatment in 1980. My mom and I often visited her at home at her bedside, and then of course, the end, at the hospital -I could barely take it in.

I see my defensiveness, and rejection of a potential cancer diagnosis, however, there is desire for the truth. I will follow recommendations.

THank you again for sharing your experience. It helped me.   Trustyourgut

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options

tests-Glo

Glo, Thank you for the very helpful post. I am 58 yrs old. I sometimes drove my aunt to the hospital for radiation treatment in 1980. My mom and I often visited her at home at her bedside, and then of course, the end, at the hospital -I could barely take it in.

I see my defensiveness, and rejection of a potential cancer diagnosis, however, there is desire for the truth. I will follow recommendations.

THank you again for sharing your experience. It helped me.   Trustyourgut

Went through the same thing -

Went through the same thing - heard about my dense breasts for years.  I skipped one year of a mammo and when I went the following year I was called back.  I was scared just knew I had cancer.   Well I didn't then............. However I never missed another mammo.   Had one in June 2012.   Jan 2013 I was stage 3 w lymph nodes!  The radiologist said looking at my mammo's side by side was like looking at 2 different breasts.   So please, don't skip.  Go through the hassle - it may very well save your life.  

• trustyourgut
    Options
    Lilly9 said:

Went through the same thing -

Went through the same thing - heard about my dense breasts for years.  I skipped one year of a mammo and when I went the following year I was called back.  I was scared just knew I had cancer.   Well I didn't then............. However I never missed another mammo.   Had one in June 2012.   Jan 2013 I was stage 3 w lymph nodes!  The radiologist said looking at my mammo's side by side was like looking at 2 different breasts.   So please, don't skip.  Go through the hassle - it may very well save your life.  

Tests-skipping, Lilly

So, the doctor's office called this morning to tell me the radiologist recommended an MRI. I asked and was informed I am a BI-RADS 3. Insurance is reviewing the recomm for MRI at this time. There is a shadow on the left brst, that could be solid, as opposed to fluid.

Its so hard to understand how breast can go from dense to stage 3, Lilly.

Seems this disease is not as predictable as I would like it to be.

• GlowMore
    Options

Tests-skipping, Lilly

So, the doctor's office called this morning to tell me the radiologist recommended an MRI. I asked and was informed I am a BI-RADS 3. Insurance is reviewing the recomm for MRI at this time. There is a shadow on the left brst, that could be solid, as opposed to fluid.

Its so hard to understand how breast can go from dense to stage 3, Lilly.

Seems this disease is not as predictable as I would like it to be.

No it is not**

Not only not predictable......but it is crafty and sly and EVIL.......   Mammograms are not the best predictors....but they do help find it early........sometimes.     I have no idea what a BI RADS 3 is........  I'm terrible on these abbreviations....I hope you are able to get the MRI however..........which is actually a SNAP....unless you are Claustrophobic... in which case they are a little uncomfortable....which you will have to overcome......because if this EVIL BEAST is after you we hope you will be a FIGHTER...  LIKE US ***  And that means kicking the Fear Factor and instead using your heart and mind and GUTS to do everything you can to LIVE.      Keep us posted as you take this journey....and I sincerely hope your next post will be ..."GOOD BYE GIRLS...I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO BE HERE AGAIN"     :)     Thoughts and Prayers     Glo

• trustyourgut
    Options
    GlowMore said:

No it is not**

Not only not predictable......but it is crafty and sly and EVIL.......   Mammograms are not the best predictors....but they do help find it early........sometimes.     I have no idea what a BI RADS 3 is........  I'm terrible on these abbreviations....I hope you are able to get the MRI however..........which is actually a SNAP....unless you are Claustrophobic... in which case they are a little uncomfortable....which you will have to overcome......because if this EVIL BEAST is after you we hope you will be a FIGHTER...  LIKE US ***  And that means kicking the Fear Factor and instead using your heart and mind and GUTS to do everything you can to LIVE.      Keep us posted as you take this journey....and I sincerely hope your next post will be ..."GOOD BYE GIRLS...I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO BE HERE AGAIN"     :)     Thoughts and Prayers     Glo

ultrasound details

I obtained US test results: I have a well rounded mass. It is solid with central calcification, and associated with posterior acoustic shadowing-probably due to calcification.

I'm concerned, of course.

My MRI is Monday night, thankfully.  I am told that 24-48 hrs after MRI, results are given to the ordering physician.

The MRI is 'open', so my claustrophobia will not flare up.

This process is step by step, I see. TIme to process each step before taking the next one.

Thanks, again, for your helpful guidance! I will keep going.

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    Options

ultrasound details

I obtained US test results: I have a well rounded mass. It is solid with central calcification, and associated with posterior acoustic shadowing-probably due to calcification.

I'm concerned, of course.

My MRI is Monday night, thankfully.  I am told that 24-48 hrs after MRI, results are given to the ordering physician.

The MRI is 'open', so my claustrophobia will not flare up.

This process is step by step, I see. TIme to process each step before taking the next one.

Thanks, again, for your helpful guidance! I will keep going.

Well Rounded Mass

Stay on top of this...  thought I was staying on top of calcifications for the last 4 + years!!! Got released back to my primary MD when the rt breast settled out... then changes in the left....  Dropped ball, maybe, or simply how fast the sh*t changes....

Agree with the earlier comment... what looks OK in January can change way too fast!!!

• trustyourgut
    Options
    I rec'd my breast MRI

I rec'd my breast MRI results:

I have a 'dominant, mildly enhancing 5-6 mm focus in the upper inner left breast, probably benign '. Report further states, 'the enhancement profile is mild and progressive, most suggestive of a benign finding.'

Recomm: MRI recall in 6 mos

BIRADS remain at : 3

I'll be following thru with this. Of course, I am hoping for the best, and  feel  better that no further concerns were found.

ANyone have similar experience or input?

• GlowMore
    Options

I rec'd my breast MRI

I rec'd my breast MRI results:

I have a 'dominant, mildly enhancing 5-6 mm focus in the upper inner left breast, probably benign '. Report further states, 'the enhancement profile is mild and progressive, most suggestive of a benign finding.'

Recomm: MRI recall in 6 mos

BIRADS remain at : 3

I'll be following thru with this. Of course, I am hoping for the best, and  feel  better that no further concerns were found.

ANyone have similar experience or input?

Glad you Will

follow up in 6 months............and hope and pray for your sake that this is what they think....and is just a benign thing.    I had some suspicious stuff show up on a MM about 8 years before my actual lump appeared..........and I skipped several years of mammograms back then because my life was so stressful and my husband was dying etc.........but oh boy I wish I had not skipped them, because if only we had caught it early I would not have had to do the chemo.... but oh well.     Please do your cking up  :)  Prayers for you for future good luck.

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    I had my first breast cancer

I had my first breast cancer at age 44 in 1994. Had mastectomy and chemo, then moved on with my life. I had mammograms every year for 19 years. They were always clear. In the fall of 2013, my father had a stroke, and I was busy trying to take care of him and my Mom (both in their 90's), so I missed getting my annual mammogram (I always got them in October). my mammogram this year showed a 2.3 cm lump and worst of all, it has already metastasized to my left sacrum. I was shocked that I would have Stage IV cancer from just one missed mammogram. Don't mess around with this disease. It can move fast. This was not how my husband and I thought we would spend our retirement.

• GlowMore
    Options
    Gm2873 said:

I had my first breast cancer

I had my first breast cancer at age 44 in 1994. Had mastectomy and chemo, then moved on with my life. I had mammograms every year for 19 years. They were always clear. In the fall of 2013, my father had a stroke, and I was busy trying to take care of him and my Mom (both in their 90's), so I missed getting my annual mammogram (I always got them in October). my mammogram this year showed a 2.3 cm lump and worst of all, it has already metastasized to my left sacrum. I was shocked that I would have Stage IV cancer from just one missed mammogram. Don't mess around with this disease. It can move fast. This was not how my husband and I thought we would spend our retirement.

What was

What was the Chemo you had in 1994 Gm?   Did you have all the BloodWork also for the last 19 years?  I'm interested because I had a Lumpectomy and then chemo/radiation and it has been 12 years now but I'm always afraid it will come back..........Damn this Disease anyway......... What are your doctors saying to do?  I just had to re do  my CA 27-29 and the number is 36........it was 44 in Sept....it is supposed to be under 30.........I see my new Oncologist Dec 15th...........I guess he will want another PET.......fooey.

• trustyourgut
    Options
    GlowMore said:

What was

What was the Chemo you had in 1994 Gm?   Did you have all the BloodWork also for the last 19 years?  I'm interested because I had a Lumpectomy and then chemo/radiation and it has been 12 years now but I'm always afraid it will come back..........Damn this Disease anyway......... What are your doctors saying to do?  I just had to re do  my CA 27-29 and the number is 36........it was 44 in Sept....it is supposed to be under 30.........I see my new Oncologist Dec 15th...........I guess he will want another PET.......fooey.

don't skip

I am receiving a strong mesage from you all, not to skip mammograms. Its a wonderful type of gift  that I feel fortunate to receive. I am motivated and inspired from your posts, too. Your tremendous strength and passion comes through. I reread and I am internalizing the messages. Thank you!!! I'll be present for my 6 mos MRI follow-up.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

don't skip

I am receiving a strong mesage from you all, not to skip mammograms. Its a wonderful type of gift  that I feel fortunate to receive. I am motivated and inspired from your posts, too. Your tremendous strength and passion comes through. I reread and I am internalizing the messages. Thank you!!! I'll be present for my 6 mos MRI follow-up.

.. If possible - next mammogram -

see if you can get a 3D image mammo =  95% of insurance providers do pay for this test. 

Good luck - check in with us ..  We would love to know what is going on ..

Strength, Courage, and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam