ascites

Options

I'd like to hear if anyone is having the same problem with ascites as I am having.

When I was first diagnosed back in April 2013, one of the first symptoms I experienced was an accumlation of, what I discovered later, was ascites. It became so bad that you might have thought I was 8 months pregnant. That is..if you didn't look at my face. LOL!

A large amount of fluid was drained from my abdominal area but the fluids accumulated quickly again and I had to have them drained for a second time. Shortly after this my chemo treatments started and within 4 days, all of the ascited disappeared and I felt downright skinny!

Unfortunately, the chemo stopped working for me and the ascites started to build again--this time in the pleural area which affected my breathing. I had to have this area drained and ended up in hospital for 5-days as my lung was punctured during the procedure. That possiblity was written in the fine print at the bottom of the consent form. 

I am now seeking either a different chemo cocktail or a clinical trial. I have consultation appointments for both this week so we shall see what my options are.  Meanwhile the ascites are again building in the abdoinal area and I feel very uncomfortable. 

I haven't read on the board about anyone having this problem and would like to share experience. Perhaps one of you have found a way to prevent this from happening..just asking.

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Ascites

Hello Mo,

I doubt that one can prevent malignant ascites from building up without fighting the underlying cause (cancer) with chemo or another cancer drug. You mentioned paracentesis (I had it done twice) and thoracentesis, fairly easy outpatient procedures for tapping abdominal and thorasic fluid (barring complications like the lung puncture that unfortunately happened to you). There are catheters (Tenckhoff Catheter, PleurX® Drainage System) - once inserted by the radiologist you can drain ascites yourself. I heard of the Denver Shunt that empties ascites into the venous system, but I don't know if it's applicable to your situation.

Good luck with your appointments this week! Feel better soon

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Alexandra said:

Ascites

Hello Mo,

I doubt that one can prevent malignant ascites from building up without fighting the underlying cause (cancer) with chemo or another cancer drug. You mentioned paracentesis (I had it done twice) and thoracentesis, fairly easy outpatient procedures for tapping abdominal and thorasic fluid (barring complications like the lung puncture that unfortunately happened to you). There are catheters (Tenckhoff Catheter, PleurX® Drainage System) - once inserted by the radiologist you can drain ascites yourself. I heard of the Denver Shunt that empties ascites into the venous system, but I don't know if it's applicable to your situation.

Good luck with your appointments this week! Feel better soon

ascites

Hi like you my most olbvious symptom was the ascites big like a basketball & late pregnancy soo uncomfortable!!

the gyno I saw to confirm diagnoses had me in the hosoital for my first drain2-3 days after seeing her - 8 litres - several drains 6 litres 5 litres just a couple once in a while the ascites production definitely decreased withthe chemo  to which - fortunatrly - I responded well.

I recentlt had my debulking surgery  -- so hopefully, I am past all the ascites

I really havbe no suggestions other than draining wehen it becomes uncomfortable .   and I certainly understand your ascites frustrations  just another thing in tyis cancer journey togrrin & bear

Susan P from Alberta Canada