My new plan to fight the beast is in place now...

Options
MAJW
MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
Update!

It's been a fairly rough 2 weeks....I finished my 10 rads to the brain last Friday...glad that's over, but to be honest the treatments were not bad at all....didn't like the mask they bolt your head down to the table, but coped with it well...you do what you have to do! Both my radiation oncologist and medical oncologist agree that the rads to the brain zapped the 3 small places, that appeared....

Had my port installed a week ago after a rads treatment....that thing freaks me out....lol.

But this past week I had two days that I was barely able to function.....never experienced anything like that in my life....Thank you steroids! I am now in the process of being weaned off....THANKFULLY! I was on it to prevent brain edema from the rads....I've had like 7 of the major side effects of the steroid...thrush, on meds for that now....so maybe I can start tasting food again, insomnia, infection, on a Z Pack for that...it was a scary two days....my Oncologist explained on Monday, that it was more than likely my body said you've had enough and it was time to shut down mentally and physically to let me regroup....and caused by the steroids......I broke my record with this and had 61/2 hours sleep last night! YEAH,

I start chemo every 2 weeks starting next Tuesday....my Oncologist got me approved through the manufacturer of Avastin! He's awesome! The manufacturer will replace, to my cancer center, the dosages they use on me, at no cost to us, as of course our health insurance denied it, due to the FDA....This costs over $ 100,000 a year! He will combine this with, not sure of the spelling, with Abraxene? I want to get this rodeo started! But he wanted to give me this week to try and regain some strength and get off the steroids....I actually made myself yesterday, take a short walk down the street .....I'm trying!

So my precious sisters that's my update.....I have to thank all of you for your loving support and words of encouragement....cards, etc....thank you! You truly are my support group.....our son is a Psychologist and he strongly wanted me to attend a support group at the cancer center....but I told him I have the best support going with my pink sisters on this board! Plus I get "free" counseling from him! lol

Love you all and I pray for all us us....
Hugs, Nancy

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    hugs coming your way
    Denise

hugs coming your way

Denise
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    The steroids did the energy thing with me.
    And they told me the radiation SEs would begin about 4 weeks after trtmt (fatigue mostly) and last 4 to 8 weeks. I think I am finally starting to turn the corner, my last treatment was 1/13/12. The 1 1/2 to 4 hours sleep in a 24 hour period made me CRAZY, so am super happy the steroids are gone. I know you will be too. It stinks when the preventive meds are worse than the trtmt.

Glad you got your port, even if it does freak you out, I think you will be really happy to have it.

That is great news about your chemo regimen!

Good luck, sending positive thoughts and prayers,

Jennifer
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

The steroids did the energy thing with me.
    And they told me the radiation SEs would begin about 4 weeks after trtmt (fatigue mostly) and last 4 to 8 weeks. I think I am finally starting to turn the corner, my last treatment was 1/13/12. The 1 1/2 to 4 hours sleep in a 24 hour period made me CRAZY, so am super happy the steroids are gone. I know you will be too. It stinks when the preventive meds are worse than the trtmt.

Glad you got your port, even if it does freak you out, I think you will be really happy to have it.

That is great news about your chemo regimen!

Good luck, sending positive thoughts and prayers,

Jennifer

Nancy ...
    Stay strong and positive -- I wish you the very best. Radiation did its THING!! Now,
    that is something to celebrate.

Having a Physician walking, and working for YOU, is awesome. It appears from your
    posting that will do everything humanly possible to get you back to NED status.

I feel your pain regarding your port -- hoping you become one with your new
    friend, the port -- and it causes you no discomfort.

Hoping the steroids work themselves out of your body and system -- quickly.

Gentle Hugs, Sleep, and Strength

Vicki Sam
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Good to you with your
    Good to you with your treatments. I hope all goes well with minimal side affects.
    Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Cindy
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Hi Nancy
    I am glad the rads are done. It is Abraxane, and I had the least side effects on that one than any I have been on. So happy that you got the Avastin approved, I remember reading something about the combination of the two being a good thing for a lot of people, but when I was on it, he was going to do something with it, but it wasn't approved and I can't remember what it was.

Relax, regain your strength and I am so happy for you that the rads knocked those little buggers right out of your brain. Amazing what our bodies can take!

Hugs and prayers,
    Carol
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Hi Nancy
    I am glad the rads are done. It is Abraxane, and I had the least side effects on that one than any I have been on. So happy that you got the Avastin approved, I remember reading something about the combination of the two being a good thing for a lot of people, but when I was on it, he was going to do something with it, but it wasn't approved and I can't remember what it was.

Relax, regain your strength and I am so happy for you that the rads knocked those little buggers right out of your brain. Amazing what our bodies can take!

Hugs and prayers,
    Carol

Nancy--even with all this going on with you,
    your great sense of humor once again shines through! You've been through the mill, but I am so glad the brain rads are finished and have done their job. Now, it's on to the new meds which I'm praying will do their job with minimal side effects.

Good for you for taking that walk--a good first step and very pro-active. Sending much positive energy your way so that you can rejuvenate, relax and carry on.

Warm hugs, Renee
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Nancy, hang in there. I'm
    Nancy, hang in there. I'm so glad to read that the rads are finished and you are in the recovery phase now. Take time to take care of yourself....I know you do!

For what it's worth, I have been on Abraxane every 3 weeks since August 2011. I am having my 11th treatment tomorrow. I, like Carol, have had minimal side effects from it. I notice a little neuropathy in my feet but nothing to slow me down. I also have the Neulasta shot the day after and do notice some bone pain from it. But, I continue to be stable and that's the name of the game for us Stage IV sisters.

Sending strength, love and (((hugs))) to you!

Debbie
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Nancy, WoW! That's all I can
    Nancy, WoW! That's all I can say. Hugs and prayers from me to you~

angela
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    robang13 said:

Nancy, WoW! That's all I can
    Nancy, WoW! That's all I can say. Hugs and prayers from me to you~

angela

Oh boy~Nancy!
    You sure have been hard at it! I am so glad the radiation is over and did its "thing". I feel like my body responds the same way when it is stressed or taxed to its limit~ it just says "enough" and needs to "re~boot" so I am so glad to hear you got some much needed sleep, and its amazing how our bodies respond to rest. Your pink girl power here is praying and hoping for the very best of results! and glad the new meds will not be an issue with coverage or cost.
    Bless you~
    Melanie
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Nancy,
    I'm so sorry for all that you've had to endure, but - what a positive post! You always have my support, in every way.

Hugs,

Sue
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Nancy,
    I'm so sorry for all that you've had to endure, but - what a positive post! You always have my support, in every way.

Hugs,

Sue

Nancy, you've been through
    Nancy, you've been through so much, but I loved your positive post! Brain mets zapped! Yay! You have a plan! Yay! And your doc went to bat for you and got the drug you need despite your insurance! Yay! And you have a great attitude! Yay! I take all that as VERY good signs and pray for successful treatment with minimal side effects.
    Angie
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options
    AngieD said:

Nancy, you've been through
    Nancy, you've been through so much, but I loved your positive post! Brain mets zapped! Yay! You have a plan! Yay! And your doc went to bat for you and got the drug you need despite your insurance! Yay! And you have a great attitude! Yay! I take all that as VERY good signs and pray for successful treatment with minimal side effects.
    Angie

Nancy so happy you're done
    Nancy so happy you're done with the rads...you are always in my prayers .....

Hugs
    Eva
  • diansmith
    diansmith Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Pray for you
    I am new to this group, I just want to let you know I will pray for you. Hang in there
    cheers
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Sending you a HUGE Hug
    Hi Nancy--

When I first joined this forum, you were one of the ladies that stayed in my head, and I remember I would pray for you and call you MAJW instead of your real name:). Then I learned your name (blame it on chemo).

I'm glad there's a new plan for you. And my prayers will be focused on you having a "successful outcome", to the path of recovery. We all wish no one had to go through this, but there is hope and I will always stay positive for you. I pray you always stay positive too.

I hope you get more rest and are able to sleep.

Good luck with the new plan sister. May this take care of everything for you.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You are
    one heck of a fighter! Glad you got a plan. Will put you on the prayer list.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Cinkal said:

Good to you with your
    Good to you with your treatments. I hope all goes well with minimal side affects.
    Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Cindy

Lots of positive thoughts,
    Lots of positive thoughts, prayers and hugs!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

You are
    one heck of a fighter! Glad you got a plan. Will put you on the prayer list.

Nancy good luck with your new treatment
    Nancy ,
    good luck with your new regimen, hopefully you will get tolerable side effects from your new combo. I am glad that your oncologist is giving you a week off.
    Hugs
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Nancy good luck with your new treatment
    Nancy ,
    good luck with your new regimen, hopefully you will get tolerable side effects from your new combo. I am glad that your oncologist is giving you a week off.
    Hugs

Nancy
    Good news the brain mets were zapped. Now wishing this new treatment works.I have FAITH it will. You are a very strong person which helps your recovery and treatment.I will be thinking of you. Please let us know how things go with this new treatment.

THOUGHTS and PRAYERS

Lynn Smith
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Nancy
    Good news the brain mets were zapped. Now wishing this new treatment works.I have FAITH it will. You are a very strong person which helps your recovery and treatment.I will be thinking of you. Please let us know how things go with this new treatment.

THOUGHTS and PRAYERS

Lynn Smith

One step at a time
    and you continue to move forward. You've passed the brain radiation, it's behind you on this journey. Now on to stabilizing or reducing or killing the other mets! You've been through so much, as have our other Stage IV sisters. May you all keep this beast locket up where it belongs!

Sending hugs and prayers to all of you.

Suzanne
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Oh Nancy, you are such an
    Oh Nancy, you are such an inspiration to us all! I just love your spirit. Please know that I am sending prayers, positive energy and big (((HUGS))) and feel free to pm me if I can help in any way.