Newly diagnosed.

Options
Slimsixtwo
Slimsixtwo Member Posts: 24
Hello all! My name is Selena, I'm 37 years old, and 2 days before my 37th birthday I was diagnosed with DCIS. I have a uni lateral mastectomy/ immediate reconstruction scheduled for Monday, January 31st and I'm feeling very nervous. I've been told that I'm very calm for a person who has just been diagnosed but I think that I just feel like I don't have time to be scared or depressed....I just want it fixed. I have a 3 year old son and a 3 month old son as well as being married. I've always been the type to handle stress well..But now that the surgery date is near, Im feeling a mixture of anxiousness and nervousness. I'm sorry to ramble on but I really wanted to introduce myself and converse with my new pink family.

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    So Sorry!!!!
    I'm so sorry we had to meet like this,but your still in shock and your feelings are natural and normal and this is the best place to come to to ramble,I couldn't have made it without the ladies on this site.how did you hear about us? or did you just goggle like i did and i saw the site and knew i could find answers here. but anyway so glad to meet you and just ask what ever you want and some one will be able to answer you and welcome to the pink family. MollyZ
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Welcome sister!
    So sorry we had to meet this way.

I had a lumpectomy with chemo and rads. But I remember this anxiety you're referring to well. All we can do is take one day at a time. Please know you're not alone. We are here and you will be OK. The unknown is always scary for many of us. Until we experience it once and realize the thoughts of fear were worse than the actual experience. I didn't have a mastectomy, but I share your anxiety. This entire process is overwhelming and at times, too much to handle. Other sisters will comment about what they exp. and what to expect with this surgery.

Please stay positive.

Praying your surgery goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery, with no complication.

Hugs
  • Slimsixtwo
    Options

Welcome sister!
    So sorry we had to meet this way.

I had a lumpectomy with chemo and rads. But I remember this anxiety you're referring to well. All we can do is take one day at a time. Please know you're not alone. We are here and you will be OK. The unknown is always scary for many of us. Until we experience it once and realize the thoughts of fear were worse than the actual experience. I didn't have a mastectomy, but I share your anxiety. This entire process is overwhelming and at times, too much to handle. Other sisters will comment about what they exp. and what to expect with this surgery.

Please stay positive.

Praying your surgery goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery, with no complication.

Hugs

Thanks so much ladies for
    Thanks so much ladies for the kind words and welcome! I know this is my new normal and I'm staying positive!!i found this site by good ole google! :-)
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Options
    We are here for you!
    Hi, Selena,

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but we are here! I am 39 years old, and was diagnosed in November. I had a right breast mastectomy, and I am beginning chemo on Thursday. I too have small children. My children are 11, 6, and 5.

Things will definitely move quickly, and sometimes that is really, really good. It doesn't allow for too much time to panic. As you go through this, I want to pass on some advice that some wonderful people have given to me. First, allow yourself time to accept this, but that doesn't mean that you should not remain positive. Being positive is half the battle. Secondly, at every appt that you attend, either take a tape recorder with you or have someone take careful notes. I have a journal in which I (or my family member) write everything down including names, dates, and names. You will find that you won't hear everything because it is overwhelming.

Lastly, learn how to allow people to do for you. That is the hardest thing for me. I am a newly divorced mom who is used to doing everything on my own. I had to let people be there for me. My co-workers and friends set up a meal train (there is a website) so that meals could be prepared for me after surgery and during chemo. I had to allow them to do it, and I couldn't be more grateful.

It is okay to be anxious and nervous. Come to this site, and we will help you through it!

Good luck!
    Dorene
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Welcome
    You came to a great site with very supportive pinks, both male and female. Seriously, I can't tell you what this group has meant to me, whether good, bad or just to vent, they are here for each other and all of us being in the same boat, there is always someone who understands what we are going through.

Sorry you have to go through this, but so glad you found the group so early in your journey.

Prayers to you,
    Carol
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Selena,
    We are with you in

Selena,

We are with you in thought and prayer thru this group! No one, and I mean no one, is very calm on the inside with all of this! I, too, was told I was so calm and relaxed, but the opposite was true on the inside. I was diagnosed last Sept., age 55, but the beginning of my son's senior year of high school . . . I tried to keep busy, but you will remain nervous until the surgery . . . I had a lumpectomy for my DCIS and the recovery really wasn't that bad for me after all the worrying . . .take the pain meds as often as you need them, they will help you "feel" more normal while recovering . . .keep us all posted, we are there for you! -- Sue D.
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    Hi Selena sorry you had to
    Hi Selena sorry you had to come to this site but welcome we are here for you with any questions you may have some one here can answer for you.I had a bil.mastectomy with no reconstruction,i was diagnosed in May 2010 no chem or rad.but am on Tamoxifen for 5 years. Strength,Courage and Hope.Keep us updated.

Hugs Frankie
  • Slimsixtwo
    Options

Hi Selena sorry you had to come to this site but welcome we are here for you with any questions you may have some one here can answer for you.I had a bil.mastectomy with no reconstruction,i was diagnosed in May 2010 no chem or rad.but am on Tamoxifen for 5 years. Strength,Courage and Hope.Keep us updated.

Hugs Frankie

Thanks ladies!
    I'm so happy that I joined this family! I feel like no one can relate to me within my family and friend circle so I don't get to talk about how i'm feeling or my diagnosis much. Don't get me wrong, my family and friends have been SUPER supportive, but they can't really answer any questions I have and I can feel them (some)become kind of uncomfortable because they really don't know what to say to make me feel better. I keep myself busy and try not to think about it much because i feel like I can't change the end result so why dwell on it. I'm really praying that after the mastectomy, I will just need to complete my reconstruction and start my taxoxifen but I know it's possible to have to go thru radiation and/or chemo so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself. I chose only a uni because I don't carry the gene and my left breast shows no signs of any type of calcifications. You ladies are so strong and I hope to feed off of all of you to become stronger! Thanks soooo much for listening and sharing! I feel less nervous already just from being able to let this out! :-)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Sorry for all you are going
    Sorry for all you are going through...everyone also told me I was calm and handeled it well...mainly since we have no choice much of the time...I had DCIS diagnosed 4 yr ago this month..

Sorry you had to find us for this reason but this is great place to vent, ask questions or JUST Ramble...

I"ll check back to see if any updates...

Denise
  • Slimsixtwo
    Options

Hugs Frankie

Frankie
    Have you experienced any side effects from the tamoxifen?
  • cntgobck03
    cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Selena,
    I had a bilateral

Hi Selena,

I had a bilateral Mastecotomy on Nov. 4th and am going through chemo now. This place is a god send. It saves me on a regular basis, come back here lots even if you just read. This is going to be an emotional roller coaster ride. I've generally dealt with things in a calm, controlled way my entire life. This has knocked me for a loop. I will tell you now, give yourself a break. When you need to cry, cry. I am use to being in control and there is alot of time you feel out of control with this. You will get through it, one day at a time, one moment at a time, one breath at a time. When you think no one else understands, everyone here does. We've all been there. You are in my prayers and I'm putting you on my calendar, I'll be praying on the 31st. Let us know how you're doing as soon as you're able.

Becky
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Hi Selena,
    I had a bilateral

Hi Selena,

I had a bilateral Mastecotomy on Nov. 4th and am going through chemo now. This place is a god send. It saves me on a regular basis, come back here lots even if you just read. This is going to be an emotional roller coaster ride. I've generally dealt with things in a calm, controlled way my entire life. This has knocked me for a loop. I will tell you now, give yourself a break. When you need to cry, cry. I am use to being in control and there is alot of time you feel out of control with this. You will get through it, one day at a time, one moment at a time, one breath at a time. When you think no one else understands, everyone here does. We've all been there. You are in my prayers and I'm putting you on my calendar, I'll be praying on the 31st. Let us know how you're doing as soon as you're able.

Becky

WELCOME
    Glad you found this site. There is alot of knowledge about bc on this site. I had a lumpectomy and no chemo or radiation but after hearing what others went through I feel lucky.After joining almost a year ago I still can't comprehend all there is to know about breast cancer like those on here. There are so many things they talk about that I don't know what it is. I was told by my doctors you have DCIS non invasive, 1/2 centimeter tumor and will take tamoxfin.Then I come on here and see so many siutations others I get overwhelmed. They are so educated on this. Not me.

It amazes me how many young mother's are dx soon after having a baby.Over 44 years ago when my oldest son was born 2 tumors were found during my 6 week check up.They were benign but being young and having 2 tumors I thought I had cancer and it had spread.Since my mom had BC at 20 I thought it was happening to me. Very hard for me to comprehend. A friend/classmate was dx with uterine cancer soon after her daughter was born.Passed away 2 years later with leuk.My doctor is treating a young mother with bc. She found the tumor while breast feeding.It seems never ending.You're not alone.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.My mom was a 60 year BC survivor.Dx at 21.That was in 1941 before I was born so it looks like I have her gene.

You mentioned tamoxfin.So far I've had no side effects but a bit of thinning hair.I was really worried after reading what side effects you could have. Oh and it took me a few weeks to get the nerve to take that first pill.Been on it for over 2 years and waiting for the day I can quit taking it.

Lynn Smith
  • Slimsixtwo
    Options

WELCOME
    Glad you found this site. There is alot of knowledge about bc on this site. I had a lumpectomy and no chemo or radiation but after hearing what others went through I feel lucky.After joining almost a year ago I still can't comprehend all there is to know about breast cancer like those on here. There are so many things they talk about that I don't know what it is. I was told by my doctors you have DCIS non invasive, 1/2 centimeter tumor and will take tamoxfin.Then I come on here and see so many siutations others I get overwhelmed. They are so educated on this. Not me.

It amazes me how many young mother's are dx soon after having a baby.Over 44 years ago when my oldest son was born 2 tumors were found during my 6 week check up.They were benign but being young and having 2 tumors I thought I had cancer and it had spread.Since my mom had BC at 20 I thought it was happening to me. Very hard for me to comprehend. A friend/classmate was dx with uterine cancer soon after her daughter was born.Passed away 2 years later with leuk.My doctor is treating a young mother with bc. She found the tumor while breast feeding.It seems never ending.You're not alone.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.My mom was a 60 year BC survivor.Dx at 21.That was in 1941 before I was born so it looks like I have her gene.

You mentioned tamoxfin.So far I've had no side effects but a bit of thinning hair.I was really worried after reading what side effects you could have. Oh and it took me a few weeks to get the nerve to take that first pill.Been on it for over 2 years and waiting for the day I can quit taking it.

Lynn Smith

Thanks Lynn. Yeah, I found
    Thanks Lynn. Yeah, I found a small cyst a year ago and was told after a manmogram that it was probably benign and to have a follow up mamm in 6 months. Well, I became pregnant in 6 months and had to wait. I noticed my cyst growing during my pregnancy and was told over and over that it was because of my hormones which made sense. At my post partum appt at the end of Nov, I brought it up again and my doc ordered a diagnostic mamm. I was breast feeding so they did an ultrasound and found calcifications so did a mamm and biopsy and another mamm all in one day. Two days later, I was diagnosed with DCIS stage 0, and my tumor about 3-5 cm. Had an appt with my breast surgeon the next day who suggested a mastectomy b/c the size of the tumor. I had a MRI the following week that showed my lft breast fine and normal nodes on both sides. So here I am now, waiting for my mastectomy and praying for no node involvement. The waiting is the most nerve wrecking part of this all.
  • Slimsixtwo
    Options

WELCOME

Lynn Smith

S
    S
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Welcome
    You came to a great site with very supportive pinks, both male and female. Seriously, I can't tell you what this group has meant to me, whether good, bad or just to vent, they are here for each other and all of us being in the same boat, there is always someone who understands what we are going through.

Sorry you have to go through this, but so glad you found the group so early in your journey.

Prayers to you,
    Carol

I am sorry we had to meet
    I am sorry we had to meet like this but just know that you are surrounded by pink sisters that will help and support you.

Good luck Monday. I will be praying for you.

Hugs, Jan
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Sorry you needed to join us but glad you're here getting the support. Waiting is the hardest. It sounds like despite the waiting for the second mamo you still took care of it before it got too bad. Some breast cancers are more aggressive, but all have that life changing potential.

I handle stress more or less the same way you do. I cry later when I am alone. Then I turn to God for support as well as my pink sisters who really understand.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Welcome
    Sorry you needed to join us but glad you're here getting the support. Waiting is the hardest. It sounds like despite the waiting for the second mamo you still took care of it before it got too bad. Some breast cancers are more aggressive, but all have that life changing potential.

I handle stress more or less the same way you do. I cry later when I am alone. Then I turn to God for support as well as my pink sisters who really understand.

Please...
    Please keep us posted.....we all understand what you're dealing with.....so glad you found " us " but like others say, I hate the reason...

Let us know how you're doing, when you feel up to it....we care
    Hugs, Nancy
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    So glad you found us (:
    It's a very hard thing to come to terms with the
    diagnosis. But over time your focus will shift and
    you will be able to accept your new situation. Treat
    yourself with the utmost care and focus on healing
    now. It is easy to get side tracked by worries, fears
    and what ifs. Try to stay focused on your healing process.
    Anytime things get too much for you, come and pour your
    heart out, it's a great stress relief and you will meet
    some amazing women along the way.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Frankie
    Have you experienced any side effects from the tamoxifen?

Hi Selena! Welcome to this
    Hi Selena! Welcome to this great site!

Hugs, Megan
  • Slimsixtwo
    Options
    Hello ladies!! Thanks so
    Hello ladies!! Thanks so much for the encouraging words and advice! I'm doing okay actually! I'm ready for this surgery to be over with so I can start my recovery and know exactly whats going on in there. I've been super busy at work and home that this time is breezing by. How are you ladies doing?