Routine blood test not so routine

Options
mruble
mruble Member Posts: 174
Chad went in today to have his INR checked as he is transitioning from Lovenox to coumadin and they are trying to find the right dose of coumadin. I knew something was wrong when two nurses accompanied him out of the infusion center. Apparently he has skin erosion from his PowerPort. Has anyone else experience this?

For those that have had a port replaced, was the replacement any more difficult than the original implant procdure? And did you have the old port removed one day and a new one put in the next day? We've been told this is standard procedure but I'm not sure why that is the case. Since Chad can't have it removed until Monday and has chemo scheduled for Tuesday, however, they are going to see of the doctor will do both procedures the same day.

Mary

Comments

• sangora
    sangora Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Port Replacement
    Mary, I have just had,this week, my second port put in. The first one was removed due to blood clots around the cath end up in my neck. I was not taking IV chemo at the time( start back this wednesday) so I had some time, about a month, between the old one coming out and the new one going in. The old one was on the right side and the new one is on the left. If they change sides on Chad, I can't really see why there would be a problem. As far as starting to treat the next day, the surgeon that put my new one in asked if I needed it accessed when it went in for a treatment that day. In my case not. The new one has actually given me less problems than did the first one. Of course, I am in better shape medically now than when the first one went in 18 months ago. Good luck and know that all should be fine. Sam
  • mruble
    mruble Member Posts: 174
    Options
    sangora said:

Port Replacement
    Mary, I have just had,this week, my second port put in. The first one was removed due to blood clots around the cath end up in my neck. I was not taking IV chemo at the time( start back this wednesday) so I had some time, about a month, between the old one coming out and the new one going in. The old one was on the right side and the new one is on the left. If they change sides on Chad, I can't really see why there would be a problem. As far as starting to treat the next day, the surgeon that put my new one in asked if I needed it accessed when it went in for a treatment that day. In my case not. The new one has actually given me less problems than did the first one. Of course, I am in better shape medically now than when the first one went in 18 months ago. Good luck and know that all should be fine. Sam

Thank you!
    Thanks for your response, Sam. I did wonder if they would switch sides. Chad's had no trouble at all with his first port so I'm hoping the next one works just as well. Good luck to you as you re-start chemo on Wednesday. I'm sorry you have to go through it again!
    Mary