Arimedex tolerance

Options
LRN715
LRN715 Member Posts: 34
Will be starting Arimedix as I am in full memopause, after my radiation. Just checking with those of you that have or are on this medication. Have most of you tolerated this medication well, and if not, what kinds of side effects have you had? Are they tolerable, say with Ibuprofen? Let me know. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Other than switching my
    Other than switching my taking of arimidex from AM to PM, I have done fine. I was tired if I took it in the AM, so switched and have been doing well.

I've been taking it since April 2009 and will be on it for life or until it stops working. Good luck!
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    Heard good results but...
    Many women have had good results on this med but for me it was TERRIBLE. I had every side effect and got terrible arthritis in all joints. I was sick, had mental problems (memory) weight gain, rash on both legs and couldn't sleep. I took it for almost 2 months and finally got off it. Everything is getting better except arthritis. Don't mean for this to scare you but be aware and don't stay on it as long as I did. I had no chemo only rads. This may make a difference also. My good friend has been on it for 2 1/2 years and no bad results. Just depends on each of us.

My prayers are with you. Please don't be alarmed by what I said.

Diana
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    gagee said:

Heard good results but...
    Many women have had good results on this med but for me it was TERRIBLE. I had every side effect and got terrible arthritis in all joints. I was sick, had mental problems (memory) weight gain, rash on both legs and couldn't sleep. I took it for almost 2 months and finally got off it. Everything is getting better except arthritis. Don't mean for this to scare you but be aware and don't stay on it as long as I did. I had no chemo only rads. This may make a difference also. My good friend has been on it for 2 1/2 years and no bad results. Just depends on each of us.

My prayers are with you. Please don't be alarmed by what I said.

Diana

It's almost a year
    that I've been on Arimidex and it's okay. Side effects, for me, painful feet, yet it doesn't stop me from doing things. It's hard to explain, after sitting an hour or so, when I get up I quite literally hobble, say, to the bathroom, but after being up and going, the pain stops. It's very weird. No hot flashes, no weight gain, no fatigue. I feel cranky sometimes, but that could just be me:)

Good luck.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options
    aisling8 said:

It's almost a year
    that I've been on Arimidex and it's okay. Side effects, for me, painful feet, yet it doesn't stop me from doing things. It's hard to explain, after sitting an hour or so, when I get up I quite literally hobble, say, to the bathroom, but after being up and going, the pain stops. It's very weird. No hot flashes, no weight gain, no fatigue. I feel cranky sometimes, but that could just be me:)

Good luck.

xoxo
    Victoria

I've been on Arimidex now
    I've been on Arimidex now for about 6 weeks. My main complaint is fatigue, but am also finishing up rads (7 more). So it's hard to say if the fatigue is coming from the rads or from the pill. Probably both! Occasionally, I get a twinge of pain in my joints, then it will go away. I'm hoping that's it for the SE's. I went through hell with the BMX and chemo, rads, and I need a break! Good luck to you. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Be Well,
    Dianne
  • starseed
    starseed Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Consider myself extremely lucky
    as I've not had any side effects. I go to oncologist once a quarter so he can do a blood draw to make sure the Arimidex isn't screwing up the rest of me and they always ask about joint pain as I think that is the biggest complaint. Thankfully I've had none and I've been on it for almost a year.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Ah, Arimidex, how do I love
    Ah, Arimidex, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Let's see: You keep the cancer away.

On the other hand, I have weight gain, fatigue, joint aches and aching feet (like Aisling). I've been on Arimidex for almost three years! Two more to go... and I'm going to make it.

xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

On the other hand, I have weight gain, fatigue, joint aches and aching feet (like Aisling). I've been on Arimidex for almost three years! Two more to go... and I'm going to make it.

xoxoxoxo Lynn

I've been on Arimidex for 10 months now
    and, like Aisling and Lynn--I have achy feet/ankles--mostly after I've been sitting a while and then get up--I do the hobble strut too for a few minutes and then the pain is gone. There are some days when I'm more tired than others--but that could also be from all the other treatments--chemo and rads.

I've had a heck of a time losing weight, but again, might not be all due to the Arimidex. All in all, if things stay as they are, I'm okay with it and I definitely intend to stay on it for as long as I can to use it as a most important weapon in my treatment arsenal.

Good luck to you--keep us informed as to how you do on it.

Hugs, Renee
  • csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    No Tolerance
    I was on arimidex for a couple of weeks and had to get off of it. The joints in my hands became so stiff and painful that I could barely open a bottle of water. I support myself with my hands and decided that I had to try something else. I was switched to taxmoxifin. Although I still have some stiffness in my joints, it is nothing like the arimidex.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    June 1st will be a year for me
    I think hot flashes increased in frequency and intensity initially - but much better now. Muscle cramps in legs and feet. Otherwise, okay. I started on Arimidex and after 3 months it went generic. I didn't notice a difference.

Sue
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

xoxoxoxo Lynn

so well put
    Arimidex---way too many side effects....but if it keeps the cancer away, all the fatigue,
    joint pains, fighting the weight, depression---it is all worth it!!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I started taking Arimidex
    Jan 7th, 2011. I've had arthritis for 11 years and went through menopause 12 years ago. I still have hot flashes, some worse than others. I have joint pain and take arthritis meds. So, for me it's hard to tell whether Arimidex made everything worse or not. I started a new weight loss plan 5 weeks ago and have lost 10 lbs. The dietician in the oncology center I went to said it's hard to lose weight while on Arimidex. I can only ride a recumbent bike and do small weight arm curls. I see my onc next month and will discuss continuing Arimidex. I feel it's tolerable especially if it keeps cancer away.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have been on Arimidex for
    I have been on Arimidex for 15 months, I gained weight, and my joints are a little achy from time to time, I just take an ALEVE and I'm good to go. I need to get more excercise, I think that will help me loose some weight.