hysterectomy

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
I am sure not..but has anyone had a hysterectomy due to thickeing of uterus with NO signs of cancer?

I am thinking take it all out...(thickening and speractic bleeding)

Denise

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    I did
    My Mom had bc twice, the third time it went to her ovaries and we lost her. I choose to have a hysterectomy as a precaution. I do not take hormones due to bc risk and it I have no issues as a result of the hysterectomy. I had hot flashes for a short time, but truly noting that was all that bad.

RE
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Denise
    Go for it.I didn't have thickening but had a fibroid tumor that was growing. I was given a choice.Just uterus or uterus and ovaries.I opted they take it ALL. I want nothing.They took my ovaries, uterus and cervix. I am so glad.3 less places to get cancer.You are having problems so get it out.

My surgery was about 15 years ago.I couldn't take hormones because of breast cancer history in family and also benign breast tumors I had for years. I didn't have any problems.Still got breast cancer but I don't have to worry about other female cancers.

Today hysterocomies are done different.Less invasive.I know if the uterus just comes out they don't make any incision.Done vaginally.A lady in the hospital with me had that done.

Still let them take it all. Don't leave anything and later have cancer.It happened to someone I know.That is why I made my decision.EVERYTHING goes.

Lynn Smith
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

Denise
    Go for it.I didn't have thickening but had a fibroid tumor that was growing. I was given a choice.Just uterus or uterus and ovaries.I opted they take it ALL. I want nothing.They took my ovaries, uterus and cervix. I am so glad.3 less places to get cancer.You are having problems so get it out.

My surgery was about 15 years ago.I couldn't take hormones because of breast cancer history in family and also benign breast tumors I had for years. I didn't have any problems.Still got breast cancer but I don't have to worry about other female cancers.

Today hysterocomies are done different.Less invasive.I know if the uterus just comes out they don't make any incision.Done vaginally.A lady in the hospital with me had that done.

Still let them take it all. Don't leave anything and later have cancer.It happened to someone I know.That is why I made my decision.EVERYTHING goes.

Lynn Smith

Forgot
    I want to add that when I had the fibroid tumor and had my "Time of the month" I had to lay down at times for the severe bleeding.Not long but it clotted my blood to where I wasn't hemmoraging.It was that bad with the fibroid. Even before it started growing.

I am sure your bleeding could get worse.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Denise

Lynn Smith

I am thinking of doing it
    MY dr said over kill...i said but it is giving me all my isues from TAmox..(can you still take tamox after everything is removed)

I have to call gyn THURSDAY to see what he and onolcogist/gyno think...(phone conference)

I am leaning towards taking it all...

Thanks for everyones input and opinions...
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

MY dr said over kill...i said but it is giving me all my isues from TAmox..(can you still take tamox after everything is removed)

I have to call gyn THURSDAY to see what he and onolcogist/gyno think...(phone conference)

Robotic hysterectomy
    It will be interesting what the gyn oncologist has to say. I think I posted earlier that prior to all this cancer stuff, I was going to have a "prophylactic" hysterectomy because I kept having episodes of post menopausal bleeding and I just didn't want to keep having biopsies only to need a hysterectomy down the road anyway. Unfortunately, the last biopsy showed complex atypical hyperplasia and areas suspicious for adenocarcinoma. My hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy was done by a gyn oncologist using the DaVinci robot. 5 tiny incisions, all the surgical procedures done laparoscopically with the organs and lymph nodes (I did have cancer) removed intact vaginally. My recovery was phenominal. One night in the hospital, home on NO pain meds. Started chemo for breast cancer 3 weeks later. It is still major surgery, tho. Just major surgery via small incisions.

Even without Tamoxifen, my gyn oncologist said it is not unusual for some women to have both breast and endometrial cancers over the course of their lifetime. It is not typical to have them both at the same time like I did, tho.

Let us know what you decide.

Suzanne
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    keeping the original parts until they become antiques
    Well Denise, I'm on my second round of endometrial polyps in less than 1.5 years on Tamoxifen. But, since my cancer was DCIS I have opted to stop the Tamoxifen vs have major surgery (i.e., hysterectomy). I figure it is a strong drug and I have been told I really don't need it. Plus, all my female pieces in my pelvis have a purpose. If their major purpose is over, it doesn't mean my body doesn't need them. So I want to keep them as long as I can. That goes for every part of my body. I didn't have my son circumsized because he MIGHT get cancer there someday. If it happens, then we'll deal with it.

However, if my cancer had been something more, or if I had a family history, or many other factors that might play in to the decision, I would have the hysterectomy, keeping as many parts as I could without fear.
    ~~Connie~~
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in my
    I had a hysterectomy in my 30's. I was having excessive bleeding and I was exhasusted. I felt so much better after the hysterectomy, and I had no signs of cancer. I did have some fibroid tumors.
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    I had it done and they took
    I had it done and they took it all. I was in early 40's and they put me on hormone treatment for to long. I believe that is why I got breast cancer. No proof just from talking with others. So if they will take it all go for it is my advice. Diana
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I did too
    They said I had thickening and dysplasia? I think that's when you have suspicious cells. Anyway, I just didn't want to mess with it. I said "Take it out, take the ovaries out and while you're at it, take out my appendix and whatever else you find in there that I don't need!" No kidding, I really did say that (and I meant it).

The only thing that bites, is that I couldn't take any estrogen replacement so you really feel your age and then some pretty quick. There's a lot to be said about ovaries and the role they play. But, it's a small price to pay when you take a look at the big picture.

Praying you make a peaceful decision you're happy with.

Hugs!

Sylvia
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

I haven't had a hysterectomy
    I haven't had a hysterectomy and hope I don't. But, I want to wish you well in your choice Denise. Do what is best for you.

Hugs, Angie
  • Lynn Smith
    Options
    sea60 said:

I did too
    They said I had thickening and dysplasia? I think that's when you have suspicious cells. Anyway, I just didn't want to mess with it. I said "Take it out, take the ovaries out and while you're at it, take out my appendix and whatever else you find in there that I don't need!" No kidding, I really did say that (and I meant it).

The only thing that bites, is that I couldn't take any estrogen replacement so you really feel your age and then some pretty quick. There's a lot to be said about ovaries and the role they play. But, it's a small price to pay when you take a look at the big picture.

Praying you make a peaceful decision you're happy with.

Hugs!

Sylvia

Ovarian cancer
    Ovarian cancer is very hard to detect and usually when it is detected it has spread.This I know from 2 people.One had her uterus out.Later got ovarian cancer. The other was treated for bowel problems for months(her stomach was swollen and gas pains(she thought).Turned out to be ovarian cancer. Those are the 2 reasons I opted for it all to be removed.

I take tamoxifin after my bc dx and also having a total hysterectomy.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Ovarian cancer
    Ovarian cancer is very hard to detect and usually when it is detected it has spread.This I know from 2 people.One had her uterus out.Later got ovarian cancer. The other was treated for bowel problems for months(her stomach was swollen and gas pains(she thought).Turned out to be ovarian cancer. Those are the 2 reasons I opted for it all to be removed.

I take tamoxifin after my bc dx and also having a total hysterectomy.

Lynn Smith

Thanks for all the replies...
    I got a call while OUT at grandson's baseball game..dang it..I MISSED it ...from my gyno. HE said he consulted with onoclogist-gyno (which IF he did not..the day prior to my appt I told my hubby I was going to look one up) of course he just said call me..Thurs..didnt leave info on message...

now it's killing me..i want to know...what they think...

until this board i never knew such a dr as oncologist/gyno...

a friend suggested I got to Sloan kettering (cancer ctr in NY) but since I DONT" HAVE cancer (now) I dont' think they would see me just in ref: to thickening and bleeding!

Denise
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Thanks for all the replies...
    I got a call while OUT at grandson's baseball game..dang it..I MISSED it ...from my gyno. HE said he consulted with onoclogist-gyno (which IF he did not..the day prior to my appt I told my hubby I was going to look one up) of course he just said call me..Thurs..didnt leave info on message...

now it's killing me..i want to know...what they think...

until this board i never knew such a dr as oncologist/gyno...

a friend suggested I got to Sloan kettering (cancer ctr in NY) but since I DONT" HAVE cancer (now) I dont' think they would see me just in ref: to thickening and bleeding!

Denise

Sorry you missed the phone
    Sorry you missed the phone call. Let us know what he says Denise.

Good luck to you,

Megan
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Megan M said:

Sorry you missed the phone
    Sorry you missed the phone call. Let us know what he says Denise.

Good luck to you,

Megan

@megan
    Thanks...yes I was made I missed call...this has been going on (ISSUE) for 2mths so what is 2 more days..?

Denise
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    gagee said:

I had it done and they took
    I had it done and they took it all. I was in early 40's and they put me on hormone treatment for to long. I believe that is why I got breast cancer. No proof just from talking with others. So if they will take it all go for it is my advice. Diana

I've not had a hysterectomy,
    I've not had a hysterectomy, and, if you do, I want to wish you good luck and I hope it might resolve any issues you have been having Denise.

Hugs, Lex
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Interesting you would post
    Interesting you would post this because my GYN and I just had this conversation about 2 weeks ago. I also have thickening and have PCOS, so Tamoxifen is not the best option for me (and being pre-menopausal I have no other options) so he suggested it as a POSSIBILITY as well. I will have to stay in close touch with you to see what you decide to do too. I am going to make an appointment to talk with him again in the next couple of weeks.

Nancy
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Interesting you would post
    Interesting you would post this because my GYN and I just had this conversation about 2 weeks ago. I also have thickening and have PCOS, so Tamoxifen is not the best option for me (and being pre-menopausal I have no other options) so he suggested it as a POSSIBILITY as well. I will have to stay in close touch with you to see what you decide to do too. I am going to make an appointment to talk with him again in the next couple of weeks.

Nancy

@nancy
    I was told to call back today to see the outcome of consultation with oncologist-gyno and MY GYNO...i'll let you know...

I saw my Dr last Friday so it's been the waiting game for almost a week.

I HOPE I can catch him free when I call..i am receptionist so can talk private things at my desk...so if not free and calls me back hard...

anyhow...time will tell / HOPEFULLY noon I can call..and hope he is free

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

@nancy
    I was told to call back today to see the outcome of consultation with oncologist-gyno and MY GYNO...i'll let you know...

I saw my Dr last Friday so it's been the waiting game for almost a week.

I HOPE I can catch him free when I call..i am receptionist so can talk private things at my desk...so if not free and calls me back hard...

anyhow...time will tell / HOPEFULLY noon I can call..and hope he is free

Denise

YUPPPERS have an appt monday
    I have an appt monday to set up my surgery date and figure out exactly what I will have done...
    I want to have it done first date available..

Denise