folfox 9 in a few hours 3 to go after this one

Options
pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
how time flys when your having fun!

found naturopathy solution for my diarrhea, digestive enzymes, anti diarrheal mix with stringent herbs and other goodies, and a yellow powder called gut relief.
these have worked for 9 days so far and I have had the mildess diarrhea, and I take the mix and it settles.

so happy not to be taking codienne and gastrow stop to excess to solve the chemo induced diarrhea.

the other tip from my wonderful naturopaths is to take the probiotic powder directly onto my tongue and dissolve it with saliva and then swallow. then follow that with my slippery elm and wait for 30 minutes before eating.

these natural remedies are really helping. I have gained some confidence in naturopathy.

I have also reduced my juicing to avoid causing diarrhea, I have pretty well seen a direct relationship between my beetroot, carrot and celery juices and diarrhea.

I have also backoff magnesium as a separate powder and rely on the magnesium in the calcium tablets.

I also got some d3 drops from this naturopath and have upped my dosage to 10,000 UI daily.

Been advised of a chinese remedy for peripheral neuropaphy which involves putting hands and feet into hot acholic solution, to stimulate the nerves. anyone heard of this before.

Comments

• plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Go Pete go :) only 3
    Go Pete go :) only 3 more.....yay!!! ....AND....improvements with the diarrhea too! It's seeming to be a good day for you :)

Love and hugs, gail
  • tesslee
    tesslee Member Posts: 97
    Options
    plh4gail said:

Go Pete go :) only 3 more.....yay!!! ....AND....improvements with the diarrhea too! It's seeming to be a good day for you :)

Love and hugs, gail

you're doing great Pete
    i was so happy when i was at your point. but then the onc said he wanted me to continue, and i said i couldn't, so i'm on avastin only now. so glad your diarhea is doing better. proactive, yes. i had continuous diarhea and ended with dangerously low potassium level. i have never heard of the remedy you speak of for neuropathy, but i sure would like to know more. two finger typing is a pain, lol.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    yay Pete!
    Hi Pete,

You're getting there!
    Interesting about the "yellow powder"called gut relief. Do you know what it's made up of?
    I will try opening the capsule of my probiotics & see if that helps.
    My naturopath changed the type of calcium and/or magnesium combo to a different formula because I was having diahrrea. I really haven't noticed that it's any better, though. Taking the extra potassium helps some, but doesn't solve the problem totally. I still have to take 2 Lomotil before going out in public or I'll be looking fast for somewhere to stop with a bathroom. I'd like to not be dependent upon the prescription meds and solve the problem all naturally, but right now I need both. Now, I thought that slippery elm is a laxative- so how does taking that right after the probiotic help the problem?
    I take something that has slippery elm in it, but I assumed that was probably "flushing me out"/ making the diahrrea worse, but I'm not sure. I do need to talk to the ND again about some of these things.

Take care, Pete-
    Lisa
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Pete
    I am glad things are going better for you + that you only have 3 more chemo treatments to go.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    plh4gail said:

Love and hugs, gail

thanks gail
    i'll take whatever good breaks i can get in this very dirty fight we all have on our hands.

our **** little colorectal cancers, ie for some of us only a few cells and it can still send us to hell if we are bad or unlucky. I am grateful to get so far, but worried about the peripheral neuropathy as a dammed long term reminder of a very close call. I am starting to feel more configent and and make long term plans.

all the best with your journey to.

and thanks for the kind wishes and i like the tshirt. "i am strong"

love and hugs
    Pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    lisa42 said:

yay Pete!
    Hi Pete,

You're getting there!
    Interesting about the "yellow powder"called gut relief. Do you know what it's made up of?
    I will try opening the capsule of my probiotics & see if that helps.
    My naturopath changed the type of calcium and/or magnesium combo to a different formula because I was having diahrrea. I really haven't noticed that it's any better, though. Taking the extra potassium helps some, but doesn't solve the problem totally. I still have to take 2 Lomotil before going out in public or I'll be looking fast for somewhere to stop with a bathroom. I'd like to not be dependent upon the prescription meds and solve the problem all naturally, but right now I need both. Now, I thought that slippery elm is a laxative- so how does taking that right after the probiotic help the problem?
    I take something that has slippery elm in it, but I assumed that was probably "flushing me out"/ making the diahrrea worse, but I'm not sure. I do need to talk to the ND again about some of these things.

Take care, Pete-
    Lisa

ok some concrete sggestions
    from my lovelly naturopathy

yes chew your probiotic, she said leave in your mouth a couple of minutes.
    then i follow this with 2 heaped teaspoons slippery elm with with 50% warm water to dissolve and then apple juice. then wait 30 minutes before eating and a maximum of 1 hour. I take the diarrhea mix after the meal and the digestive enzymes.

i then take the rest of my morning pills after breakfast, which has just been fruit this week.

this is morning and night.

http://www.purehealthdirect.com/products/products_details.php?products_id=2376
    from the site above

The combination of specially selected herbs and nutrients in Gut Relief, have a direct and beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract. Gut Relief contains a significant dose of glutamine, important in maintaining normal structure and function of the gastrointestinal tract. The traditional demulcent herbs Aloe vera and Ulmus rubra (slippery elm) also have a healing and soothing effect on the gut mucosa. Plus a premium extract of curcumin from Curcuma longa (Turmeric) provides fast-acting relief of symptoms of inflammation and hence helps maintain the integrity and function of the gut.

http://www.totallynatural.com.au/quick-cleanse-slippery-elm-powder.htm
    from this site

Slippery Elm Powder has a very soothing effect on your digestive tract, which is ideal for settling an irritated digestive system.

Take one teaspoon into half a glass of warm water (100ml), stir thoroughly then fill with
    warm water, drink immediately.
    Cautions/Warnings and Contra-Indications

Always read the label and use only as directed. If symptoms persist, consult your
    Healthcare Professional
    Caution: Take at least one hour away from all other medications
    Important: Ensure sufficient amount of water is consumed daily (approx 2L).

while ago john23 raised concerns about slippery elm, from my readings I believe it still helps to prevent blockages by its nature. i would not describe it a s a laxative.

i hope you get your dirrhea sorted and i would be interested in what your ND advises. I will get the formula for my anti diarrheal mix.

thanks for being a current ND adventure, i am glad many of us are going through similar journeys at the same time.

Take care as well and thanks for your comments,

Pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Pete
    I am glad things are going better for you + that you only have 3 more chemo treatments to go.

thanks anne
    i love your name AnneCan, we all can, but i wish we did not have to fight so bloody hard and that our wonderful medical system could work with alternatives in a more effective manner.

i am happy only 3 to go, but i'll just worry about tomorrow, bad choice of words. I'll just live for the moment.

Pete