Apr 16, 2014 - 9:55 pm
My dad has been seeing Dr. Sznol at Yale. My Dads scans last week showed "moderate" growth on many of his lung mets, but no new lesions on any other organs including on the brain MRI. I take this as relatively good news. This was after an 8 week period of no treatment, awaiting a trial. Two oncologists gave my dad options for treatment vs wait. Both thought waiting would not hurt overall and would give us a chance to enter a trial for patients with no prior systemic treatment. We were discouraged from IL-2 as a first option due to my dad's cardiac history, but they said it's not completely off the table.
My dad is in the approval process for an anti PDL1 trial. One thing we need is a lung biopsy that still needs to be scheduled. The trial compares MPDL3280a or a combo of MPDL3280a with Avastin to Sutent. So there is 2/3 chance we will get MPDL3280a. If we end up in the Sutent group, and my dad has disease progression he would be allowed to cross over to the combo group (assuming he still meets criteria).
I'm relieved to have a plan. Though we don't know for sure if we are in yet. I'm also nervous to see how my dad responds to treatment.