Jan 17, 2014 - 4:10 pm
Have I been foolish? Am I playing Russian Roulette?
I respect your opinions and will appreciate any comments to my question after you ready my story.
Ater a biopsy in October of 2011, I was told that I have prostate cancer. The results are listed below:
No decision of what to do was made at this time.
In March of 2012 I met wilth a well respected Urologist in Portland who has performed many robotic surgeries. After looking over my biopsy results, he said that I was a good candidate for “watching
and waiting.” With a sign of relief I opted to do just that.
In January of 2013 I had another biopsy completed by Dr. Lowe. The results of that biopsy are listed below:
Final Diagnosis from this biopsy done by Healthtronics Labatory Solutions was as follows:
Based on a suggestion found on this board, I had the Dr send the biopsy results to John Hopkins reference Laboratories. In February of 2013, I received the following results.
Jonathan I. Epstein, M.D.
Since that time I have returned to Dr. Lowe for routine digital examinations. My most recent exam was in October of 2013. Each exam has resulted in the same conclusion - prostate is enlarged by soft and no ridges/bumps found.
My PSA scores have been as follows.
I have shared all this to ask your opinion. Have I from your perspectives been a fool for waiting and am I simply playing Russian Roulette? I have done a lot of research and still have many questions. I am certain that I do not want Robotic Surgery. My prostate is to large for effective treatment with seed implants unless I undergo hormonal therapy. If I can get insurance to cover Proton Therapy, I will most likely go that route. I still am trying to find out what the long term impact of radiation is on the body. If people are cautioned to avoid radiation from dental work, lung exrays, etc., there must be good reason. So the question looms, what is the impact of the radiation from prostate treatment apart from the typical side affects from the treatment.
I will admit that I have lived with little concern but now my concern is mounting and I want to have something done fairly soon.
I hope you all do not mind me rambling on like this. I sure would appreciate your various perspectives.