Oct 10, 2013 - 12:05 pm
I am a 29y/o out in CA, married with 3 kids and 1 due in November. I had been watching a 'growth' in my left testicle for about 6-8 months - but oculdn't afford to have it checked out due to no health insurance. I finally had an infarction 1 night while coaching my sons football practice and ended up in the ER which led to the discovery of a tumor and orchiectomy. The tumor itself was 9x4.5x3.9cm and 50% embryonal, 30% choriocarcinoma, 15% yolk sac and 5% mature teratoma. I just started a brand new job(4 days after the orchiectomy) which will finally get me health insurance(November 1 couldn't come any sooner!!) My AFP post-op was 43.8(reduced by 50%) and hCG at 2499(reduced by only 100). I went to UCLA for a 2nd opinion and after a subsequent blood draw, my hCG numbers were up over 3000. I have my initial consult with the oncologist today and chemo set to begin in the near immediate future. The timetable initially was allowing for me to have my helath insurance kick in in November, let my baby boy be born and then begin treatment - within the last few days, I received a call from the medical staff at UCLA and an update that "it's not safe" to wait until November - hence the oncology appointment today. I'm a bit worried as to why the speed up in timeframe since the CT scans, x-rays, etc have showed no reaso nto believe there is spread. I understand that digital photographs don't always allow to see the whole picture - yet I am suddenly more worried than I was a week ago. Any advice?