Sep 13, 2013 - 9:00 pm
I've recently been diagnosed with adenocystic carcinoma. I found what I thought was a swollen gland on my neck and after a couple of months went to the doctor. After trying some things like an antibiotic and pilocarpine over several months, I finally talked my doctor into removing it. That's when he discovered it was a tumor, not a land. I've been fortunate enough to find an ENT/surgeon whom I feel very confident in as he went back in and got clear margins as well as removed lymph nodes. At this point, he says radiation is up to me whether I do it now or not as there is no evidence of tumor now. I know the high likelihood of recurrence so I'm wondering if I should wait for the next time around and do radiation then. I kind of see it in stages; first do surgery, then do surgery and radiation, then do surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy or clinical trial the third time around. Thoughts! Am I bonkers for this Line of thinking. I just don't want shoot myself in the foot now when I might need the radiation card later. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.