Aug 14, 2013 - 9:37 am
Good morning all,
I need some advice. I am starting 4 rounds of FEC next week, and my doctor has given me a perscription for Neulasta that he says I can take preventatively after the first treatment if I want to. I've just gotten done with 9 weeks of Taxol (tumor isn't shrinking anymore so they're switching me early) and my blood tests are all normal right now. He's saying because I am sensitive to getting pneumonia when I pick up colds I CAN use the neulasta now if I want to, or I can wait and see what happens with the chemo and do it then if needed.
My question is, based on the experience some of you have had with neulasta, is it worth the possible SE's to do it now when I don't actually need it, run the risk that my blood count will drop so far in 3 weeks and i'll manage to find someone in August who has a cold and catch it, possibly giving me pneumonia again, or should I wait until my appointment 3 weeks after the first chemo and see if it's actually needed?
Thank you in advance :)