Aug 02, 2013 - 12:00 am
My 77 yr old mother felt a mass in her abdomen in 2011 and was told after gyn exams by gyn and gyn onc that it was likely cancer. After surgery in June 2011, dx was MMMT. Taxol/carbo was started in Aug 2011, but had to be changed to doxci/carbo due to poor tolerance/ bad rxn to taxol after the 1st round. Mama had a total of 6 rounds of chemotherapy and barely made it thru the last one in Nov 2011...she needed transfusion and we didn't think she would make it to Xmas, but she did..she's a fighter! After several NED scans, the last one in April 2013, we all thought we were home free, so when she complained of GI issues and ended up in the ER in early June this year, MMMT was the last thing on our minds. She was admitted and a CT scan revealed a mass in her pelvic area. The GI issues were resolved without surgery and the mass was biopsied...the beast that is MMMT is back!! Docs say it is inoperable and offered the same doxci/carbo chemo regime as palliative care. One of the onc docs after being pushed for prognosis said she has months. She has done 1 round and pending bloodwork results, will get the 2nd of 3 rounds planned next Friday. Hopefully these 3 rounds will stop the tumor from growing, shrink it, and make it operable. If not, she doesn't want to do anything more. As a cancer survivor (breast cancer dx 2004, NED since 2005) I understand her decision, but other family members don't. It is frustrating, scary, maddening, etc., etc. I've been on this site since right after her initial dx and appreciate the caring and sharing. Please keep Mama in your thoughts and prayers.