Jul 12, 2013 - 3:34 pm
Hi all, yeah, yet another clueless nube here. I'm going to see the surgeon (urologist) on Monday and am trying to figure a few things out before I get there.
Brief history of this mess: I thought I might have a kidney stone or bladder infection or something last December and since I was about to take a 12 hour drive I decided to make sure rather than finding out the hard way half way there. After Urgent Care sent me to the ER for a CT scan they told me very little except that my previously well-controlled diabetes was out of hand (went from nicely handled by diet and a few pills to BG over the limit for the meter and insulin dependant in a few months) and there was this cyst on my kidney that I should check and not worry about. "Have a nice trip!"
The pain did subside after about ten days of bad to worse to not so bad and back. Had the ultrasound when I got back and was told it was a 2.6 cm complex cyst but they couldn't rule out neoplasm and to go for an MRI. Nice, except I've had a pacemaker since my early 30s (heart's fine, wiring is screwed up--had a heart block when I swallowed--kind of thing you laugh about after the fact) and so the MRI was a no go.
So I was sent to the surgeon. At this point I'm still freaking out about my BG levels and afraid to eat, my father (12 hours away) was failing and I was needed there and my job was (is) in a merger flux. The urologist said it wasn't bad news but it wasn't good news. It would eventually have to come out. I just nodded and let him talk about watching and waiting. He asked me if that was what I wanted to hear. Heh. At that point I just wanted to muddle through the next few months with my dad, get my BG back to something approaching normal, and come out on the other end still working. You bet it was what I wanted to hear! But now.. well now things are a bit different. My Dad passed away last month, my BG is under control (gotta love insulin) and my job is good for at least (maybe only) the next year.
Here's the thing: I just had my followup ultrasound. I'll see the urologist on Monday. I'm thinking it will probably just be more watching and waiting. However, since the thing is that close to being too big to question and since I am NOT sure how my insurance/job situation will be a year from now (nor do any of us really know what the state of health care in the US will be in the future), should I press to take action now rather than later? Is this something I should just sit back and let the surgeon decide, or is this something I should have some say in. (Do I even really WANT some say in it?) I realize that at the smaller size, the chances are it is benign. However I've dodged the cancer thing once before (ten years out of endometrial cancer) and there's part of me that feels like I'd feel better just being done with this and moving on NOW rather than later. I've had/got a lot on my plate. It would be nice to get one thing off (but is it worth the pain of surgery?)
Do I sound confused? I am.