Jul 10, 2013 - 10:30 am
We're not frequent posters on CSN but I do "lurk" and love the commaradie here! We have a delima and I am hoping you guys can help.
If you've followed us on ACOR/Smart Patients, you know my DH is a 3-year mRcc survivor and was on the Nivolumab + Votrient trial last year. He had record results with the trial posting close to 70% reduction in just 2 months. Unfortunately in month 3 he wound up with a wicked case of pneumonitis, didn't respond to the first round of steriods so got bumped up to mega dose. That cured the pneumonitis, but made him immuno-suppressed which resulted in pneumonia and near death in January. Thankfully a bold GP decided that the best chance of a cure was to ignore a possible allergy and give an antibiotic that no one else had been willing to prescribe. Turns out DH was not allergic to the medication and responded with a full recovery. Despite repeated pleas from oncologist, (Hammers), BMS decided DH was too risky for their trial so booted him off. He had some tumor growth in the months off trial but is now back on the Votrient and is responding well - approximately 50% reduction reported in June scans. DH has regained strength, feels great, looks great and is tolerating Votrient will with minimal SEs.
So here's the crazy part.....DH has been contacted by a recruiter who is presenting him as a candidate for an incredible job half way across the country. The position is a leadership role in a growing company. Initial interviews have gone very well and it is looking increasingly likely that it could result in a substantial offer. Are we nuts to consider this? Are there legal risks of not disclosing his disease to the selection committee? Are there clauses we should try to include in his contract if he is offered the position? Both the company and the position are practically "dream jobs" for him but would likely be demanding of time and energy. Its an exec role so not physically draining but not a 37.5 hour cush job either. We've already reached out on SmartPatients for docs in the region so know there are RCC specialists there - what else should we be thinking about? We are in a happy place now, thrilled for the opportunity but want to make a decision that is fair to both the employer and our family. So appreciate the experience and support here helping us figure out where the pitfalls may be and whether or not this is something we should seriously consider or run from!
Thanks to all who are willing to weigh in!