Feb 24, 2013 - 2:13 am
I've been lurking for some time and have already learned so much from many of you.
My husband was diagnosed a month ago, and we were headed down the path of the standard chemoradiation, then went to a tumor review board who instead suggested TORS surgery and neck dissection. When they recommended surgery it was very exciting! The docs said they thought we had a 50/50 chance of not needing radiation and if so, it would likely be a lesser amount (60 grays instead of 70). Wow!
For the record, they seemed to think this was caught early, yet it seems that one 1.2cm lymph node might be involved, from looking at the pet scan.
But now I'm wondering if we haven't made a bad decision -- to put my husband through surgery, which is hard enough, only to have him go through rads afterward. I see so few people on this board who have had this order of treatment.
So, If anyone out there has any insights about this I'd love to hear from you. Were you given this option and decided against it? If so, why? Has anyone done the TORS first and regretted it?
How about anyone who is soooo glad they did it?
I'm also very concerned that if the pathology finds a lot of negative features, and he needs radiation, that this surgery has postponed the start of radiation, thus giving the opportunity for the cancer to spread.
This is all too much for me to understand, but I will keep trying.