CSN Login
Members Online: 8

2nd opinion - path report??

adman's picture
adman
Posts: 257
Joined: Jul 2012

I'm 7+ months post-surgery/ rad-Neph, 5.0cm, grade 1, stage 1 RCC.

 
I've had 1 CT, chest X-Ray & bloodwork done at 4 months, another scheduled for March. 
 
I never got a 2nd opinion on the pathology. Was that a mistake? 
icemantoo's picture
icemantoo
Posts: 1452
Joined: Jan 2010

adman,

 

Your pathology sounds good. you are being aggressively followed with tests. I fail to see what decisions are being made or were made that you need a second opinion on.

If things do not seem right ask questions. So far everything sounds as good as it gets.

 

Icemantoo

todd121
Posts: 496
Joined: Dec 2012

I doubt you'd get different treatment even if you had a second opinion and it changed your grade/stage. I was grade 3 stage 3a, and I was told the treatment you got was the standard treatment for my situation.

Todd

Limelife50's picture
Limelife50
Posts: 409
Joined: Nov 2011

What could it hurt to get a second opinion,atleast your mind will be put at ease that the first one was correct

foxhd's picture
foxhd
Posts: 1855
Joined: Oct 2011

I agree with Todd and Iceman. It's not like you want a second estimate from a different house painter to save a few bucks. With a second opinion, you would have to look at the information and then make a decision. Chances are your decision would be made by someone alot less knowledgeable than the doctors you question. I had seen 3 oncologists who told me they could no longer help me. My 4th has saved my life. Unless something seems bizarre and wrong I will not question anything she suggests. I've told people that if she recommended that I stick my head in a bucket of sh*t 2 hours a day, I would do it. I am happy and have faith in the machine.

adman's picture
adman
Posts: 257
Joined: Jul 2012

 

My thinking wasn't so  much whether or not I was getting the 'right' follow up tests done, but whether or not [ if the path report came back worse ] a Dr might want drugs involved, not just the aggressive testing plan.

As always, I appreciate the follow up support.

 

Regards.

 

todd121
Posts: 496
Joined: Dec 2012

I htold seen 4 oncologists and two were rcc specialists and had two path. I was told by all there is no aoproved standard treatment involving drugs for my situation. I would assume the same goes for you. I was stage 3a clear cell rcc, grade 3 and the tumor was 6.8 cm. I had a radical nephrectomy. There are some clinical trials for adjuvant therapy going on. That's where they give drugs in our situation to see if it helps reduce recurrence. You might look into those. All the ones I looked into required you to start within 12 weeks of the surgery but don't let that discourage you because I don't know what's available in your area. Ask your doctor. 

Todd

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network