Jan 01, 2013 - 12:26 pm
Happy New Year, everyone!
Yesterday I got the results of last week's PET scan. I was hoping for the status of N.E.D.—no evidence of disease. Not so fast. There was no uptake of the scan’s radioactive dye, meaning there’s no metabolic activity in the tumor, which of course is good news. There would be no value in further chemotherapy now—in part because what showed up as a tumor may be only scar tissue. There are probably two options—“watchful waiting,” with regular blood tests and scans, or surgery. Surgery is apparently the likelier option. Surgery would provide the opportunity to excise whatever is left in my abdomen and also to look around for what else might be there.
The good news is that my CA 125 number is down again, to 44 from 53 earlier in Dec. What I'm wondering is whether surgery is the choice I should make, if I'm given that option, or should I just be content with "watchful waiting"?
For details if you're interested, check out www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton