CSN Login
Members Online: 3


denistd's picture
Posts: 544
Joined: Apr 2009

Hi all, I had my surgery late October, doctor at Penn State Hershey was really good, this was a 1cm nodule. A needle biopsy was inconclusive. I opted for the surgery as opposed to wait and see. The nodule was in the upper left lobe. Doctor removed it with vats, said he got good clear margins. It was adenoid something stage 1. However the day after I had Atrial Fibrillation and was hit with an electric paddle I had a follow up Xray the third week in November and met with doctor. He said everything looks fine, the following story was a nightmare. Upon release from Hershey they left the catheter in as I have a history of having a hard time urination problem when anesthesia and narcotics are in my body. I was told to see my urologist 5 days later to get it out. I felt I had a urinary tract infection because of the urine in my bag and the pain. Went to urologist who said he would take it out a week later and inspect my bladder and that I did not have an infection, no testing mind and did not take a look at the bag. I left, this was on a Thursday, Friday I was running a fever of 101. I could not take the pain anymore and had a friend who is an RN take it out she said that I definitely had a urinary tract infection, the next day I was shivering violently My wife called an ambulance and I was taken to the local hospital. I was now running a fever of 102. In the ER they took blood etc and a nurse came to put a catheter in. She had no idea what to do, no numbing and it hurt like hell she did not get it in and blood was spurting out. Doctor came and said they were admitting me as I had a severe urinary tract infection ans an equally serious blood infection. Took me to a room where the came in and inserted the catheter the right way, that evening I was running a temp of 103.5. I was in the hospital for 10 days due to non stop bleeding. Am still having side effects from the medicine they gave me in Hershey. Denis

Posts: 756
Joined: Mar 2011

So sorry you had to go through this. Thanks for the reminder that we need to kick and scream and stamp our feet until the doctors listen to us. After all, we have been living in these bodies and know when something is wrong. It sucks that you had to go through the ER to get someone to listen.

Is it possible that the onco said that the type of cancer is adenocarcinoma? So they did a resection then rather than removing the lobe (lobectomy)? So glad that they listened to you when you told them you wanted the surgery. Stage one is considered cureable and my wish for you is that is what happens.

After reading this I am going to ask anyone who wants to place a cath in me how many times they have done it.

denistd's picture
Posts: 544
Joined: Apr 2009

Yes Denny he said it was adenocarcinoma and was not related to my throat cancer in 2009. I still cannot urinate easily and still am a little affected by the amiodarone. Lost 13 lbs as I could not eat for two weeks. It;s going back up now but it was a nightmare, he just did a resection and used the vats procedure. Denis

Posts: 1901
Joined: May 2012

I am so sorry this trip was so darn rocky....unexcusable ! Yes we all need to be proactive on our care...and not always surrender into what one doctor is telling us to be doctrine. But you were so terribly ill.....not cool on what happened...not cool at all ! Katie

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2015 © Cancer Survivors Network