CSN Login
Members Online: 18

Well......Looks like port is coming out *****UPDATE******

mukamom's picture
mukamom
Posts: 357
Joined: Oct 2010

one way or another.

Robert developed an infection with his port last week, so he was put on antibiotic, and the doc looks at it tomorrow. The skin is eroding away even as we speak. There is just a small strip of skin left across the top half, so it looks like it will have to be taken out, like it or not. I'd bet my last dollar there will be no treatment tommorrow. And looking at surgery in the next week or so.

I only hope the treatments have knocked down the tumors enough that they won't think they have won the lottery.

CRAP

thxmiker's picture
thxmiker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Oct 2010

We are sending our thoughts and prayers to you and Robert for a speedy recovery.

We have a port to reduce our risk to infection, and still there are risks.

Best Always, mike

fatbob2010's picture
fatbob2010
Posts: 359
Joined: May 2012

Sorry to hear about the port problem. As Mike said we have ports to prevent infection and allow for easier and more efficient access to a major artery. I am sorry you are having these problems. Hopeful that there will be a better result / outcome from the surgery. ((HUGS))

k44454445's picture
k44454445
Posts: 494
Joined: Jul 2012

darn. hate to hear that there is a problem with the port. prayers coming your way
judy

janderson1964
Posts: 1501
Joined: Oct 2011

Have you talked to the dr about putting in a picc line in the meantime. It is a very simple proceedure where no anethesia is required.

steveandnat's picture
steveandnat
Posts: 887
Joined: Sep 2011

Just what you don't need having to have surgery at this time. Pray everything goes well.

Annabelle41415's picture
Annabelle41415
Posts: 4187
Joined: Feb 2009

Do you have an update and what did doctor say?

Kim

mukamom's picture
mukamom
Posts: 357
Joined: Oct 2010

consult with a surgeon @ UAB on Tues. His doc put an ASAP/URGENT on this sx, and if all goes well he could have it out by next week. Robert has contracted a upper respitory infection and bonchitis a couple of days ago, and he is miserable..has slept the days away.

The port itself is still draining nasty stuff, and looks like it could pop out at anytime.

Keep your fingers crossed that we can get a quick sx date!

Angela

smokeyjoe
Posts: 1428
Joined: Feb 2011

Surprised they'd wait till Tuesday!!! Have they put him on anti-biotics in the mean time??

Lovekitties's picture
Lovekitties
Posts: 2878
Joined: Jan 2010

Given that Robert has had this infection well into weeks, given your description of it and now has an upper respitory infection/bronchitis please watch his temp and hydration. If anything even slightly looks off consider taking him to emergency room.

I have to say that I am very surprised not only that his doc has waited all this long, but also that an ASAP/URGENT need for surgery doesn't get you more than a consult on next Tues.

If you read Doc Ray's post, he also got an infection in his port and they removed it almost immediately.

I think this is one of those times when you need to take a strong position that the port comes out NOW. It isn't just the potential delay of chemo that is worrisome. Major infections can be life threatening.

I don't mean to scare you, but this sounds very very serious given your description of how things look and how Robert is feeling.

I sure hope that all this gets resolved soonest and Robert is on the mend quickly.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

mukamom's picture
mukamom
Posts: 357
Joined: Oct 2010

I thought the same thing...why is this dragging on?? Either they did not want to "interrupt" the trial, or the doc is too busy to take extra steps. Neither sets well with me.

We did go to emergency last nite, because of a fever along with the cough, and shortness of breath. When the ER doc heard his port was infected, I thought he was going to yank it out right then. I explained we would be seeing a surgeon on Tues, and he calmned down.

I am becoming more and more uncomfortable with this "cutting edge" teaching hospital. Supposed to be one of the finest cancer centers in the SE, but not much has impressed me.
However, the trial drug has been working, and Robert wants to stay (at least for now).

Thanks

Angela

PhillieG's picture
PhillieG
Posts: 4659
Joined: May 2005

It's a tough spot to be in for sure.
I'm sure Tuesday can't come soon enough. I'm glad the trial is working...

mukamom's picture
mukamom
Posts: 357
Joined: Oct 2010

We saw the surgeon on Tues @ 8am and by 8:45 it was out. Did the proceedure right in the office! Local anethesthia(sp?), snip, snip and it was out. Robert does have a hole the size of a 50 cent piece, and about a half inch deep. Pack it and cover it twice a day, and it should heal from the inside out.

Treatment will resume the week of Dec 10th, beginning at square one in the trial. Long infusion times to start...6-7 hours, and then it will drop back to 3 or so.

We are enjoying the break, trying not to worry about the what ifs. Scan at the end of Dec.

Angela

Sundanceh's picture
Sundanceh
Posts: 4266
Joined: Jun 2009

You both deserve it so much:)

herdizziness's picture
herdizziness
Posts: 3387
Joined: Apr 2010

That was a quick snip snip. I hope you and Robert do enjoy the break between now and the 10th. May his healing be quick and pain free!!
Love to you both,
Winter Marie

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network